XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

new jag owner, car needs repaired, help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new jag owner, car needs repaired, help

The thing about the rear disc brakesis true, but I was told there is a way around it. Here in Cali mechanics charge $1.500 and up to change the brakes on the back.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts

the Red Relay on the left side of the engine compartment, mounted above the radiator, controls the Auxiliary Cooling Fan. The Relay is what goes bad, replace it. Check with Ken at Motorcars Ltd. for a replacement. Disconnect the plug from the relay in the meantime.

There are two opinions on replacing the rear pads: Yes it can be done from underneath without dropping the rear cage, and No, it can't be done.

I replaced my own pads without any of that drop-the-suspension business. But if you are having to replace the rear calipers, then that's another story. I doubt you have to replace the rear calipers, mine is a 1984 and still kicking.

Regardless, the rear brakes do little to brake the car, they are mostly for the Emergency Brake.
If I was to do anything first, I would flush the system with fresh brake fluid and bleed all 4 calipers, and the rears can be bled from under the car. This is not a Fiero.

I seriously doubt they are talking about the Steering Column, perhaps they are talking about the Steering Rack? A Rack is about $400.00. Replacing it is fairly easy.

Personally, I think $3,500. buys a nice condition XJ, so yes, that's too much money. Get more estimates and opinions.

And talking about thousands, the XJ weighs over 3,800 pounds. These cars are very heavy and low. Safety is always a concern. When working under these cars, a lot of jacks and other support is required. A lot is not enough. Tell you 16 year old kid. This is not a toy. We have lost some XJ owners when their cars collapsed on them for not being properly supported.

For more info, and to familiarize with the XJ, read this e-book:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/books.html

Jose

Old 04-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jose - your 'heavy and low' warning is exactly why I don't change my own oil. You really need a proper lift to do much underneath the series III xjs.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

yes I hear you, but I change my own oil & filter by raising the front with a 3 ton hydraulic jack, then placing jackstandsunder each front wishbone, leaving the jack supporting the center, then I placeconcrete blocks under each front tire! Lot of work but then I can relax under the car, inspect everything,etc. It's a workout let me tell you. And of course I keep my phone handy to order a pizza.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Replacing inboardrear brake rotors on SeriesI-III XJ6 or XJS doesn't pay any more than 8 hours labor. I charge 5, andgotthe actual timedown to 3 after 100 sets or so. Dropping the differential cage assembly is counterproductive, that only gives you the pleasure of rolling it around on the floor to pull the halfshafts off.

Replacing pads takes an hour even without a lift. The car in question in this thread probably just has leaking brake calipers, they are exposed to too much heat and moisture and often show leakage on cars that have been sitting a long time.

You can buy rebuilt rear calipersfor XJ6/ XJS at under $100. each, and pay no more than five hours for their installation. Rebuilding them is not cost effective, the caliper pistons corrode, and their cost+ seal kit+ extra labor leaves you upside down.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio
Replacing inboardrear brake rotors on SeriesI-III XJ6 or XJS doesn't pay any more than 8 hours labor. I charge 5, andgotthe actual timedown to 3 after 100 sets or so. Dropping the differential cage assembly is counterproductive, that only gives you the pleasure of rolling it around on the floor to pull the halfshafts off.
Replacing pads takes an hour even without a lift. The car in question in this thread probably just has leaking brake calipers, they are exposed to too much heat and moisture and often show leakage on cars that have been sitting a long time.
You can buy rebuilt rear calipersfor XJ6/ XJS at under $100. each, and pay no more than five hours for their installation. Rebuilding them is not cost effective, the caliper pistons corrode, and their cost+ seal kit+ extra labor leaves you upside down.

There's your second Estimate....exactly what I thought.

Jose