Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,213 Likes on 5,388 Posts

Oh, that's nice!!
(';')

Old 06-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Can't wait to see what you do with the blue coupe!

Old 06-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

I took a 500 mile trip to Alexandria VA in the Red coupe. The car performed flawlessly. The Autozone Alternator did not. About 4 miles from my destination, the BAT LAMP came on.

I pulled into a McDonalds parking lot and got out to think about my next move. A well dressed man came out of MCD's and approached me and we started talking about the car. I told him about the Alternator and he offered me the ride to Autozone. About 1/2 way there he got to thinking and told me he reluctantly that he didn't think Autozone would have an alternator for a car like that. I told him it's a Chevy convert and they'll probably have one. Turns out he was an Uber driver and didn't "charge" me either.

Got myself back to MCD and did some parking lot service and got back on the road after washing up and having a Salad.

The rest of the trip was un-eventful. The road dynamics are wonderful even at high speeds. Had no problems keeping with and in some case exceeding the pace of many late model sports cars I encountered. The late XJS electronics, seats and climate control made the trip very comfortable.

I averaged 19MPG with the AC on with sustained speed between 70 to 90MPH with occasional jaunts to 120. The engine turns 2500 RPM at 85 MPH. That's pretty good mileage all things considered.

I am planing to swap out the 3.54 gears for a set of 3.06 gears and see what that does for the 1/4 mile time and economy. I suspect it may improve both since the 6.6L engine has so much torque it feels a bit over geared. Might get the mileage into the 20's.

I did notice only 1 other Jaguar on the road trip. A much newer (2015 perhaps) XJ sedan and the passenger was pointing and gesturing to me...what she was trying to say... I dont know. The car does garner lots of attention and in this case it helped as I was assisted by the kindness of an interested stranger originally from Sierra Leone.

Over all I really enjoyed the road trip and cant wait for the next one. Even the sucessful field service incident adds to the mystique of the car for me.

Originally Posted by slofut
Can't wait to see what you do with the blue coupe!
I cant decide what to do with it... First world problems...

LS with a 6 speed $$$$$ - Bring a Trailer example suggests it's worth it.

LT1 with a 6 speed $$ - Almost no cost as I have most of the parts. Almost the same performance as early smalish LS but not as sexy.

AJ16 with auto from 1996 XJS - $$ Almost no cost as I have most of the parts. Wont be "Field Serviceable" like a convert.

Turbo 6.0 LS with 4L80E - $$$ - lower cost as I have many of the parts.

I'd really love to flair the rear fenders even more and fit some steam rollers for a turbo LS but the blue coupe to way to good to cut up so that one is out.

Any thoughts on this from the Forum? Perhaps I cant see the obvious answer from inside the bubble.

Last edited by icsamerica; 06-05-2017 at 08:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Went to Autozone, told them my story. Got a full refund ($146.25) for the Alternator and all the tools I purchased to fix the Coupe on my road trip.

Made an FB page for the car for a Broader Reach.

https://tinyurl.com/y9dr2k9f

Bugs in the Grill

Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

In order to get cold AC i used a Late XJS expansion valve specifically designed for R134A. Unlike other converts I've seen I hung the receiver/drier out in its OE location and away from the heat of the engine compartment.

Out in the wild the A/C worked great on my trip. At some points it was 80 degrees and sunny and the car was cool. I could hear the click of the Compressor relay from behind the dash as it frequently cycled off even when in slow moving traffic.

My last convert I used the GM canister type of receiver / drier located inside the engine compartment, which in my case, meant somewhere near a hot header. I tried 3 TX valves and it just never cooled right. It would do odd things like... Cool to a point and stop, or cool fine on a warm day and not cool at all on a hot day si it just was not like a newer car.

Last edited by icsamerica; 06-06-2017 at 07:51 PM.
smgdata (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:42 PM
Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Did you use a new evaporator?
When I did my conversion on my xjs, I didn't change out the tx valve. and it will only cool to about 60, Id also like to change out my condenser to a multi flow.
I was thinking about a later tx valve, but idk if it will connect to the evaporator.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by smgdata
Did you use a new evaporator?
When I did my conversion on my xjs, I didn't change out the tx valve. and it will only cool to about 60, Id also like to change out my condenser to a multi flow.
I was thinking about a later tx valve, but idk if it will connect to the evaporator.
Ya Have to change the Evaporator... Worth it though as I had the same experience, just would not get cold.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Ya wouldn't have that problem if you put in Propane (HC12a).
No equipment changes necessary.
Compatible with all other refrigerants and oils.
DIY friendly, I did it myself.

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
slofut (06-07-2017), smgdata (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Ya wouldn't have that problem if you put in Propane (HC12a).
No equipment changes necessary.
Compatible with all other refrigerants and oils.
DIY friendly, I did it myself.
Last time I checked Propane is highly Flammable. That's a bridge too far for me. Context...Remember I went to great lengths to install a working airbag, series 3 belts, and ABS in my Coupe for safety sake.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Found this early engine pict on an old phone I was about to trash.

You can see Windage tray, crank sensor for the ECM and the XKR motor mounts.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Last time I checked Propane is highly Flammable. That's a bridge too far for me. Context...Remember I went to great lengths to install a working airbag, series 3 belts, and ABS in my Coupe for safety sake.
So is gasoline, and it runs arounds in tubes in the c-pillars of the coupes!

Old 06-07-2017, 04:36 PM

ICS,
So you put an xjs evaporator in the xjc?

Old 06-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slofut
ICS,
So you put an xjs evaporator in the xjc?
I actually used the entire XJS system including fan boxes and the complete center assembly, electronics, sensors harnesses etc. I think you could just swap the evaporator though.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

ALL refrigerants are highly flammable.
If Propane was so much worse than others, why do we not see RVs with Propane refrigerators burning to the ground every time we get on the open road?

But I understand.
(';')

Old 06-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

RV's burning to the ground does happen!!! But, Propane as a cause. don't know.
I suspect dumb cooks. They are not gender excusive. In my former profession, fires in residences were usually caused by electric dumb things, candles, or untended fry pans!!

In our cars, we have many flammables. And they light up for various reasons. Just saw a news piece. Car west bound on 24, it quit just short of the Caldecott tunnel. Driver pulled over to the shoulder. Car lit up. Why? Not yet determined. Car burned furiously. enough to ignite the drying grass on the nearby hillside. Major extiguishment effort, including air drops save "most of the day" .

Elinor: In spite of my "touchiness as to fire" from my former career, I just might do the propane thing....

Carl

Carl

LnrB (06-08-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Took the Jag to a show. Lots of inquiries. Crappy picture as my new digital camera failed and had to be returned. A new even better camera is on the way.

Unless you had a XK120 / 140 or E-type or new XF all the "other" Jaguars were relegated to the back lot of the grounds at the top of a hill. I dont know if this was by design or if all the XJS' and XJ sedans got there late.

My first show and I learned my only chance at a good spot is to get there very early.

The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
LnrB (06-12-2017), ronbros (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

I also enjoy showing my car. For some reason, the Xj6 series cars tell people (20 somethings to olde spectators) Instantly and Instinctively, "THAT'S a Jaguar!" Crowds don't respond that way to most other Jags except for an E-type.

Shows in this area operate on a first come, first place principle. If the XYZ Chevy Club enters, all their cars are shown together because they arrived at the same time, usually fairly early after registration opens. If the PDQ Ford Club has entered, all their cars are shown together for the same reason.

If Joe Schmuck arrives later in his Pristine, Fully Restored E-type he's put at the end of the line with all the other individual entrants. So you're right; if ya want a good place near the front of the line, arrive Early!
(';')

Old 06-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

it all works out in the end!

at least there are some car guys to talk stuff about cars , Hey they might learn something!

Old 06-13-2017, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 323 Likes on 227 Posts

Any thoughts on this from the Forum? Perhaps I cant see the obvious answer from inside the bubble.
Well, to me, the obvious answer is to convert it to RHD & ship it to me! Just imagine the fine life it'll have cruising the Great Barrier Reef Coast.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:41 AM
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Was that the Hellertown PA show?
Looks like it. Beautiful venue.

Rusty

Quick Reply: New XJ coupe project - 2015