XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

New XJ12 S1 owner. Some quick Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:52 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by on edge
I am now retired from the jagspares and repairs i was running but still live on the premises and now my workshop is all mancave.i hope these will help
Cheers Ray
I have seen the man cave. It is amazing. From the engine block coffee table and wine racks, to the jag rear seat couch, to the 2 or 3 jags sitting in there as well. The white series 1 in beautiful. And cant forget the big screen tv and the bar. Wonderful. (p.s. Ray, I'm the guy from Masterton who has been getting some a/c parts off you recently)

Cheers,
Richard.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Richard
Good to here from you thanks for the kind words on my man cave' I have happy hour any day after 4pm when your over next or weekends i watch rugby im a Hurricanes supporter and Aussie V8 touring cars are a must to watch on my big screen. Having a clearance sale as from now have still a lot of series 3 parts.The white series one is actuatley a series 2 coupe that i am tidying up for resale' Happy Easter
Cheers Ray

Old 04-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

In the Jerry Lee Lewis tones, "lottsa shaking going on"!!! Neat.

It wasn't long ago that the OP in my lumped 83 seemed way too low. SBC's are not known for big numbers in OP anyway. but, as the lifters were quiet and I heard no bad noises, it wasn't critical. disturbing, yes!!!! So, I went shopping for a mechanical oil pressure guage. No luck, odd. so, I merely bought an after market under dash electric guage and sensor kit. Sun Pro brand. I plumbed it inb and yahoo, OP just fine. But, I got a NOS sensor via David Boger. Plumbed it in and OP just fine again.

So, I keep the sun Pro as a diagnostic tool in my kits.

As to the horn. there might be two fuses. One for the brown power wire, behind the battery in LHD cars. Not sure about the RHD cars. The other on the relay trigger switch. But, it is actually the ground that is made to toot, I am not sure.

So, a verification of the grounding function at the steering column would be to ground at the relay with the key on and see if the horns toot.

My horn relay is hanging on the wall. Or perhaps I borrowed it for duty as a starter relay??? Now replaced with a new generic one in my present thrash.

While my scuttle cover is down after an ignition switch swap !, I saw the ground shoe n the column. I bathed it in contact cleaner while twisting the wheel. Next might look and see where it grounds??? Some day, I just might hook the horns back up. I rarely toot???

Now, the senders in the fuel tanks are merely rheostats to vary the resistance to ground. Exercise them. And, as roger says, measure resistance while sweeping them.
Should vary smoothly up and down. Ragged numbers mean a dirty of worn unit.

Some weeks ago, my neighbor was working on a big Ford van with a non working guage. He had the fuel pump guage unt out. Neat unit. But, the pivot for the arm to seep the coil was very loose. Just plumb worn out. service that part, nope, the whoe shooting match. Not cheap. Were it not such a major task to drop the tank to acess, I would've counseled an effort to tighten the loose arm. Peened, mebbe??

Careful with the wheels. Wheel center to hub center is of utmost import.

I found a slick set of XJS lattice wheels courtesy of a Kiwi expat. Pristine as his house and V12 XJS.

They and a new set of B.F. Goodrich 215 x 70 x 15 fit my car and look great. An added inch in width over the stock Kents seems to make it more stable. But, only "T' rated. So WOT's at long stretches are out!! Still way above any speed I'll drive, 80mph + mebbe??? 7

I think my LT1 is capable of 125 +!! will I see, probably not!!

Carl