XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Nix Is Getting New Heads!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 793 Posts

Any plans to paint the block....

A brush-on engine paint is a good solution as you dont have to mask off and the physical process of cleaning and brushing makes for a higher build and better adhesion than when spraying a rough surface. Those AFR heads would be set off atop a nicely detailed block.

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Engine-...-Kit_p_49.html

Last edited by icsamerica; 12-04-2017 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LnrB (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Engine painting came on early in my auto hobby. Circa 1948, I rebuilt my "T' from the ground up. Frame wire brushed, the hard way, and the
front and rear axles. Painted red with a brush. No spray cans, yet. And, a proper paint gun? A fantasy. Engine paint. Only two options, grey, light or dark !. I chose dark. It looked great. I splurged 50 bucks for a "rebuilt" short block. On with the sanded and painted 27 roaster body. Grey floor paint came out really shin and almost free of brush marks. it flowed on nicely. On with the 16" wheels in gray.
Mom sewed up some red seat covers. Super slick T. Twin straight pipes. Two speed Ruxtel rear axle.

Lots of fun coming up....

Carl

LnrB (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, Elinor paint the block. Two options in your palette? Red or black!!!

Carl

LnrB (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,240 Likes on 5,399 Posts

Thank you everyone,
@Roger; Yes, new cam bearings! New cam, new bearings. If I'm going to all this trouble, No used parts are going into this engine!

@ ics...; I had planned to paint the block, yes, but I planned to spray it as I didn't know about this kit. Thank you very much for the link! Now that I know, a good brush job will be a Lot easier to keep clean!

@Carl; Any other color engine but BLACK (especially RED) would look positively Obscene in a BLACK car with a BLACK engine bay. I've seen cars at shows, nice dark Chevy of some flavor, and that Garish, OEM Chevy ORANGE engine! YUKKK! Ruins the whole effect!
(';')

Roger Mabry (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

For sure, most any thing but the over used GM orange.

I mentioned red to match NIX's stewardess choice in nail color. And, red does look striking along with chrome and alloy in a black engine bay.

Circa 1951, a fellow from Colorado joined our group. His car, once a 32 Ford Cabrolet became chopped and channeled a lot ands lost it's top. powered by a healthy Mercury flat head V8. White on the block. Along with the chrome and alloy, it did look great. And, it sure was fast.....

Circa about the same time, our very sick and abused Roadster was repowered. A "cast off" Ford "B" engine. Paints now a bit better. A red looked great. Although, pure stock it moved the tired roadster with alacrity. Alas, the "A" transmission could not accept the added power. Busted a hole in the bottom. But, we used it for a bit. High gear only !! We commenced a huge project. Unfinished. This new 2nd Loey got orders to go to Germany....

Carl

Old 12-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
...I mentioned red to match NIX's stewardess choice in nail color. And, red does look striking along with chrome and alloy in a black engine bay.
Carl
Thank you, Carl, but to truly match my nails, I don't even want to think what that would cost. (grin)

That old Chrysler I had as a college project, which I painted BLACK after all the mechanicals were fixed, I put in RED seats. Looked Really nice and a lot of others agreed with me.

But I don't like to think of the work to keep a RED engine presentable let alone clean, no matter how good the gaskets are; there will Always be a bit of oil fog from somewhere, even if only from that belching diesel bus just ahead.

No, unlike the BLACK exterior which looks Terrible with the slightest coating of dust, a BLACK engine hidden in a BLACK engine bay will be much easier to keep tidy. Any slight dust-collecting oil mist will be ignored by all but the most picky show judges, which I have No intention of encountering ever again.
(';')

Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

I prefer engines (and calipers, and other mechanical bits) to have a businesslike appearance. No bright colors, bling, etc.

Sometimes an engine looks good in medium or dark gray.....with the usual black brackets and small bits, as well as some anodized or aluminum bits for a bit of contrast.

All just a matter of taste, of course.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
LnrB (12-05-2017), o1xjr (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, oh, I thought am earlier post pictured NIX's engine on the floor, stripped and machined and awaiting assembly.

So, NIX remains intact and the stuff on the shop floor is the onset of her new power plant. Or ?

Lots of ways to go at it. Each with plus's and minus's.

Billy is sick. Looks bad.... Son and I working on it. Prognosis" poor.

Carl

Carl

Old 12-06-2017, 06:39 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Painting your Blueflame IL 6 antifoul red works if your Dad has buckets of the **** (with a brush).
Worked for me, and it matched the car after I painted it.

Nix Is Getting New Heads!-maxresdefault.jpgNix Is Getting New Heads!-my-47-16.jpg

Old 12-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

Clarke.

Circa 1951, a friend, Ernie's parents had a similar car. In conservative black. and no "jump" seats, either. A rather staid family four door sedan. Circa age 19, he decided to play "boy racer". Ha, big joke. Way over matched in skill and equipment by the opponent.
Crashed, totoled the Chevy... Big bro, Lionel, most displeased. Shopped and found a great car for Mom and Dad. A left over dealer stock, 51 Nash Ambassador. A bit radical, but a very nice car.

Not sure how Lionel dealt with Ernie. but, Ernie joined the AF and left for 'boot camp'.

Abandoned his very good lookin girl friend.

Carl

Old 12-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Oh, oh, I thought am earlier post pictured NIX's engine on the floor, stripped and machined and awaiting assembly.

So, NIX remains intact and the stuff on the shop floor is the onset of her new power plant. Or ?

Lots of ways to go at it. Each with plus's and minus's.
Yes, Carl, Nix will be tearing up the pavement until all new components are finished and *Ready* for installation.

Some photo documentation of her adventures today:

Two cats from different continents; Jaguar and, Cougar. Nix was trying to be friendly. the Owner returned shortly after this photo, didn't even nod acknowledgment or take any notice. Dreadful manners!

Lunch break at Subway, meet and greet a Lexux. Not as stuck up as one might think.

Prettiest car in the lot! Passers-by noticed and commented.

At another place, a couple sweet little old ladies parked next to Nix had to say how they were being *Very* careful about their doors. Husband mentioned my polishing routine, to which they agreed it they had such a pretty car they would take good care of it too.

She spreads happiness wherever she goes.

Billy is sick. Looks bad.... Son and I working on it. Prognosis" poor.

Carl
Who's Billy?
(';')

Roger Mabry (12-06-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Elinor:

Billy is a wether. Pet goat of my son and his SO. Urinary problems, common to wethers, ensued. treated at the Vet school at UD, Davis.
Not as bad as it could've been. Treated. Better, but prognosis still limited. But, will come home to their place and be monitored carefully as to what he eats.

As a farm gal, I'm sure you get a lot of it.

Thanks.

Carl

LnrB (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Growing up on the farm make one quite pragmatic.

I had a post all composed in line with Rural Pragmatism, but as we have so few in here who would understand, and so many who might be offended, I've decided the better part of discretion is........
(';')

Old 12-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Nah! .... do it!

Old 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Elinior:

Thanks. I get it. And Billy took a turn for the worst. He will depart for goat heaven today.

Carl

Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yarpos
Nah! .... do it!
I was trying to be kind, Steve. It's sort of a new thing for me and I'm still not very good at it. So please don't disparage my efforts.
(';')

Old 12-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Growing up on the farm make one quite pragmatic.

I had a post all composed in line with Rural Pragmatism, but as we have so few in here who would understand, and so many who might be offended,
(';')
Fiddlesticks!

I want to hear about your rural pragmatism.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 3,946 Likes on 2,852 Posts

Yep, me too.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yarpos
Nah! .... do it!
Originally Posted by Doug
Fiddlesticks!
I want to hear about your rural pragmatism.
Cheers
DD
Originally Posted by Daf11e
Yep, me too.
Alright, but. be aware you (and/or others) might not like what you read hereinafter.....

On the farm where I grew up, People are Always most important. Animals have their place, and it is Not in the house, it is OUTSIDE! Real Farmers do Not allow animals of any sort to sleep on their bed, eat at their table or ride in the cab of their pickups. Animals on the farm Know their place, and it's Always subordinate to the Human; the Herd leader, the Pack leader, the Pride leader, the Flock (chickens, geese) leader etc.

On the farm, animals are kept (fed, housed, watered, kept warm, dry and healthy) as livelihood, no matter the species, and when they no longer keep up their end of that bargain (which may be that they have no calf this year [one year without a calf means a cow is infertile]) they go, either to market or they get a bullet in the head (if they're sick and can't be sold for food).

Dogs, cats etc. are also expected to earn their keep, either as vermin exterminators (we had Dozens of cats), herders or guard animals. If, in the course of their duties, they're injured or otherwise rendered unfit for duty, for example because of age and can't get to the feed trough or keep up with the herd or get into the back of the pickup without assistance, they are dispatched quickly, mercifully and cleanly with a bullet in the head administered by the animal's owner (we "shoot our own dogs").

Hard Earned money is spent ONLY on a prized specimen; either Bull, Milk Cow or a *Good* cow dog; not on a cat, and NEVER on any steer (we didn't have goats or sheep), or other creature incapable of breeding or otherwise earning its keep.

One of our neighbors out here (townies, not real farmers) recently spent (are you ready for this?) $6000 they didn't really have for veterinary bills on a dog! AND IT ISN'T EVEN A COOL DOG!

When I came to this part of the world, I was appalled that people actually put firefighters at risk for a CAT! Or, seeing one of them risking his life to save a DOG?! IT'S JUST A DOG, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

In urban society, many animals are better housed, better fed, and have better medical care than the CHILDREN in the same family! This Disgusts me!

There you have it.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 12-08-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

I'm offended!

Just kidding !

Nothing that I didn't already know, so no worries. I read nothing to suggest to mistreat animals so I have no reason to be upset. As I see it it's just the difference between working animals and companion animals.

Me? Well, I'll put it this way....

I've been plagued with dental problems for years; very painful. When my dog developed a rotten tooth, well, I couldn't bear the thought of her being in that kind of pain...so I paid the vet $843 to have the tooth pulled...plus a full cleaning of her other chompers. Now she's good as new for a few years and happy as can be. If forced to put a number on it I'd rate her entertainment and companionship value at about $500/month so, for me, it seemed a good investment versus putting her down.

I'd draw the line long before $6000, though. If a pet needs that kind of treatment...whatever it is...I have to wonder if it's being done for the pet or the owner.

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: Nix Is Getting New Heads!