XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

no turn signal indicators!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default no turn signal indicators!

hello all. i have no flashing turning signals on my 83 xj6 series 3. they did seem to work intermittently, and sometimes had the rapid clicking as if i had a faulty bulb. i did check them all but they were fine. then after a while there was no more clicking, no more flashing. non operational hazards either. i ordered a replacement relay from rokauto, part # DAC1731 from Uro parts. so i installed it, turned on the car and the turn signal lever. it crackled for several seconds, then i got a left, then right, turn signal. everything was alright...or so it seemed. then, nothing! no turn signal, no hazard, no "clicking"! so my question is this: is the relay defective, not the "right" one, or is there another issue? i did have this problem last year, my indie jag mechanic said he fixed it...and it did work for several months correctly. i am unsure if it is the stalk switch in the column, since the hazard also does not work. what would i do with the old relay to see if it is defective?
thank you in advance for any guidance! william

Old 02-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,861 Posts

it's either or, trial and error.

what exactly did your mechanic said he fixed? the column switch?

can you post a picture of Rock Auto's relay? or better yet, does it look exactly like the old one or like the picture below?

if not, might the new relay have blown the fuse?

Attached Thumbnails no turn signal indicators!-xj-6-turn-hazard-relay.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 02-02-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 AM

Hi Jose! long time no hear! well i don't know what he actually did, he just said that he fixed it. the relay that i had was similar to the one you show. it is a Hella, TBB44 003425-03 (your pic has number xxxxx-01). the fuse is ok, i checked. the rockauto relay is the number i mentioned (i left it at work, i can read the body of it tomorrow). it did fit ok though. what could i do to check the integrity of the relay? any tests? thank you in advance, william

Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,978 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Supply voltage for the turn signal circuit comes from the hazard warning switch....which often suffers oxidized contacts from lack of exercise. I'd begin by cleaning the hazard switch contacts.....which often can be accomplished by simply exercising the switch rather rapidly multiple times. No need to get rough with it, though. Or...perhaps you can get into the switch with aerosol contact cleaner.

I've fixed a couple erratic turned signal systems this way. If it works for you it'll be the least expensive Jag repair you've ever experienced

Worth a try.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (11-09-2019)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

William good to hear again!

1) rapid turn-signals almost always mean the wrong flasher relay or.....

2) is the flasher relay properly seated on its 5 contacts? It is easy to seat it on only 4.
I would pull the blue wiring plug from its bracket at the left of the driver's side Fuse Box and visually check that all 5 contacts are seated. (see picture).

3) you said your Emergency Flashers aren't working, and both the Turn Signals and Emergency Flashers use the same flasher relay. In a way, that eliminates the Turn Signals Column Switch from being bad but it does not eliminate the Emergency Flasher SWITCH.

4) the Emergency Flashers and the Turn Signals switch are inter-connected, common wires run through both, so my suspicion is the Emergency Flashers Switch is bad.

Questions:

a) is the headlights' Flash-to-Pass working? (when you pull the Turn Signals switch towards the rear, do the headlights come ON?),

b) is your Cruise Control working? (when you turn ON the switch on top of the Shifter at the Center Console, then you Press the button on the end of the Turn Signals Switch, does the Cruise Control engage above 45 mph?).

Those two are functions of the Turn Signal Switch too, so if they are working, your Turn Signal Switch is good, (though there can be other reasons your Cruise does not engage).

I really don't know why the flasher relays go bad, I've opened them and used a thin paper nail file to clean the moving "points" inside, but that's it, never replaced any electronic parts inside them, always end up substituting the relay.

please check that the relay is correctly seated / connected to the plug, that is the first check.

Attached Thumbnails no turn signal indicators!-xj-6-flasher-relay.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 PM

Hi Jose & Doug! sorry i have not updated, but weather and work kept me from trying out all the great tips you both gave me. so last weekend i got around to it, and fiddled with the old relay as well as the new one. in the end, the new one started to work, and has been doing so for last week. the only thing i can tell is that the instrument panel indicator for left turn is not as bright as it used to be (can't even tell it's on in the daytime), and the right one does't even light up. hazards are in-operable also. any thoughts? for now, as long as i have the indicators, i'm set. can't remember if they check it out for state inspection however, and i'll be due for that at the end of the month. cheers, william

Old 03-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

if the hazard switch does not work, it probably is bad. I would order a new one, they are not expensive.

replacing it is a delicate job, you have to remove the black plastic covers behind the steering wheel to be able to access the old switch and install the new one wire by wire.

Also I would replace the bulbs in the speedometer and the tachometer, you can get those at any auto parts store.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up thank you 1000 times

Originally Posted by Doug
Supply voltage for the turn signal circuit comes from the hazard warning switch....which often suffers oxidized contacts from lack of exercise. I'd begin by cleaning the hazard switch contacts.....which often can be accomplished by simply exercising the switch rather rapidly multiple times. No need to get rough with it, though. Or...perhaps you can get into the switch with aerosol contact cleaner.

I've fixed a couple erratic turned signal systems this way. If it works for you it'll be the least expensive Jag repair you've ever experienced

Worth a try.

Cheers
DD
hey Doug, I am amazed I tried your trick and it worked ... not only least expensvie but also quickest repair ever !!! thank you so much , I changed the turn switch and wanted to change the flasher relay , would not have worked either . You saved me a lot of money , time and frustration!

The following 4 users liked this post by potamme:
Doug (11-09-2019), Mkii250 (11-09-2019), ronbros (11-08-2019), yachtmanbuttson (11-11-2019)