Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

observations on new paint job

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 459 Posts
Default observations on new paint job

Here's some info and observations on my recent paint job!
being as my last paint job was base coat clear coat and the clear failed i decided to try out a single stage, so far i am loving it!!! i sent car to an economy paint shop, knowing that 95 percent of a paint job is in the prep work, Thats totally true! before car went to them i wet sanded with 400 grit wet dry paper, primer was flawless! i also masked off the chrome around the door opening areas as i didnt feel like drilling out all the rivets and then getting it bent somewhere.
the only thing the paint shop had to mask was the wheels and the front and back glass holes, which they did just fine! I did this because every negative review i read on this place was about overspray and poor masking.

Today i took a day off ( it was killing me seeing car in garage and not having time to fiddle) and wet sanded the entire car back to remove a few dust nibs and a small area of orange peel on passenger door!
I started to buff with polishing compound and so far have gotten half of car done! i am very very pleased with the result, it is on par with the 2k paint job i previously had!

If i could do anything different in this little adventure, it would have been choosing a different tow company to move the car back and forth!! i had appointments for both trips , he was almost an hour late pikcing up car from house and 2 and a half hours late getting to paint shop to pick it up!!!

and now for the info i am sure everyone wants to know, the price......

$ 373.07

Old 11-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Bargain!!

I've done the same but over here it's difficult to get someone to just spray the car with you doing the prep work. Lots of sucking of teeth and shaking of heads types wanting to charge lots of money for not doing the job as I want it e.g. epoxy primer etc..
I eventually found a sprayer who taught in a shop which trained people in bodywork. I initially wanted to rent the spray booth but he offered to spray the car for £500 (not inc the paint).
It looked so good initially and swirl free that I decided to put off the flatting and polishing until it needed it, maybe next year but I think maybe I should have done it now.
For anyone interested UKSaabs ? View topic - Monte Carlo yellow c900 Vert - once more unto the breach....

Still a work in progress although I'm driving it and the white one.

What polishes, pad and polisher are you using?

Last edited by anjum; 11-20-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

I have absolutley no idea what the polishing compound is, it was given to me buy the guy that did the car originally when the clear failed, ( was a friend, could not fix the car due to health problems) if i recall correctly its a 3m product, and i want to say it had the word black in it. (this was 4 years ago)
polisher is just an old harbor freight unit 7 inch variable speed, its grey! lol
The pads i am using are a fluffy fleece sort, also given to me by the paint guy. they may not be the best items but they are getting the job done, i am keeping teh speed low on the polisher as i have been warned about burning the paint.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. That is inexpensive. Not to question, but how is that possible? The cost for the color alone on my car (color only mind you, no primer, clear) was close to $700 for the gallon. Granted, I went with Glasurit paint, which is a rather pricey, top of the line paint.
I hope for your sake you didn't bargain hunt "too" much. You know the old saying "you get what you pay for".
The pics of your car do look awesome however.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

only 90 was labour, rest was cost of paint! so not really expensive paint, but not super cheap! we will see how it holds up!

Old 11-23-2014, 07:21 AM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow good deal, why oh why is everything in my country so expensive? It would be couple of grand here easily. Something nice about solid 2k paint finishes alright, they get a nice deep gloss after a good polish. Nice one well done.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Mega expensive here as well, unless you hunt around for someone to do you a favour.
Glasurit is good paint I used their solid colour line on my yellow Saab.

If you use a good quality wax/sealant regularly the paint will last longer. I use Finishkare 1000p on mine. Don't wax it for a few weeks to let the solvents from the paint escape properly, otherwise you can get big problems.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Paint Cost

When I resprayed my Jag the materials alone were about $1200.00 , that included the color (Sage green metallic / Epoxy primer / high performance clear) 1.25 gallon of color, 1.5 gallon clear, A few cans of epoxy primer / catalyst , All PPG products, shot with HVLP method. Color sanded with 1500 paper/water. Only regret - I should have put another gallon of clear on the car.