XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Which Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,975 Likes on 7,210 Posts

Originally Posted by NathanDD6
Personally I like to go for the best that my wallet will allow me

Nothing wrong with that....but you might well be spending extra money needlessly.

I think a person would have to go out of his way to find a 'bad' motor oil being sold. That is, one that would actually do harm. And, as for anti-wear properties, we'd probably need to take a half dozen brand new V12s, run 'em identically for 150k miles, and then tear 'em down for detailed analysis and wear measurements to discern the differences in engine wear.

If you own a fleet of taxi cabs and would like to decrease engine overhaul frequency from every 200k miles to every 250k miles, serious considered of motor oil anti-wear properties is probably important.

We all like to do what we think is best for our Jags but as often as not we spend money for a 'feel good' factor of little real world significance. That isn't intended as insulting....as I'd be insulting myself as well.

For years I was fairly nonchalant about oil filters for, basically, the reasons mentioned. I just didn't think there was a significant real world advantage to fussing over which filter. For various reasons, though, I've gotten it in my head that Baldwin filters are superior. I now use 'em on everything that doesn't require a concours/restoration type filter. And I smile each time

Cheers
DD

Old 09-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

You have a valid point there, Doug, however I'm the type that will choose a product even if it is 1% better, especially engine oils. It can be said that some oil "advantages" are neither here nor there though.

As for specifications, Jaguar recommend an oil (I can't be 100% sure that the straight 6 has the same oil requirements as the V12) that carries the API-SE approval (now obsolete, however it would have had higher levels of zinc) and if I am correct, the reductions below 1200 ppm of zinc began with the API- SL ratings, which specified a maximum of 1000 ppm, which was further reduced to around 800 ppm in subsequent ratings.

With regard to specific oil brands mentioned, both Brad Penn and Valvoline are well known to provide adequate amounts of zinc, there are also many others out there.

Cheers

Old 09-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,845 Posts

As for specifications, Jaguar recommend an oil (I can't be 100% sure that the straight 6 has the same oil requirements as the V12) that carries the API-SE approval (now obsolete, however it would have had higher levels of zinc) and if I am correct, the reductions below 1200 ppm of zinc began with the API- SL ratings, which specified a maximum of 1000 ppm, which was further reduced to around 800 ppm in subsequent ratings.
It is true that the oils back in the day had ~1200 ppm of ZDDP but equally true that not all engines required anywhere near that level. If 99% of the flat tappet OHV engines could survive just on fine on 800ppm they were designed for, then you can be assured that an OHC arrangement would be even further in safe territory.

Jag specified the SE category as that was the standard of the day and was universally available. They may have liked other aspects of that spec, possibly nothing to do with ZDDP levels.

We have to remember that far less than 1% of car owners are oil nerds/geeks and have no clue what API ratings are and what ZDDP is. Enough time has passed since the introduction of reduced ZDDP oils to safely say that there is no issue. I also predict that myths on the subject will hang around for at least another 40 years, much like those that still cling to the idea that unleaded gas is 'bad'.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,975 Likes on 7,210 Posts

With regard to specific oil brands mentioned, both Brad Penn and Valvoline are well known to provide adequate amounts of zinc,

Not that I've researched the issue in years but be careful about going by brand name alone. It's common for the likes of Valvoline to have several different formulations. I vaguely recall from 8-10 years ago that many were touting Valvoline Racing Oil because of the zinc.....while the other Valvoline offerings had much less.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
NathanDD6 (09-21-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Seeing this thread has legs I will throw my useless 20c worth in.

I dont think most of us really do enough miles, or have the type of use, for any of this to make a significant difference. If you run any new oil , change it and related filters at regular intervals, for average owners I really dont think it matters what you pick. Probably the only thing I would be sensitive to is picking appropriate grades for my regional temps.

If you are talking about high mileage vehicles like taxis and delivery trucks I think it can start to matter. Even that really depends. I have seen LPG trucks using a good quality oil but with extended change frequencies (double manufacturers rec) as the trucks are hot running all the time (one cold start a day) and running LPG which is very clean. These things are doing 500k klms and still going strong.

We usually do what makes us feel good more than anything. I know I have particular products I use , but really for no good reason other than they are mainstream and one is Australian owned. I'm pretty sure all those other brands on the shelf would do an equally good job.

jagent (09-19-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 01:37 AM
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Indeed we are probably just fine on the latest ratings, but having peace of mind always helps for me, each to his own though.

Good point, Doug, and you're correct that it was their racing oil with the higher levels of zinc. Many racing oils carry excessive amounts of zinc (over 1800 ppm) that are intended for track use alone.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

Agree re peace of mind, I guess that why I just stay with a couple of brands. The zinc level oil I normally use is 1600ppm and its just a standard product. Prior to this thread I didnt know high zinc levels where a regulation matter in some countries.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,845 Posts

It's more than just regulation, there's sound technical reasons. Excessive levels of ZDDP will kill the catalytic convectors in relatively short order, pretty much like leaded gas would.

I use dual purpose CJ4 oils in the 'old' half of the fleet, but not on any thing in the new half that has cats.

yarpos (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that , I will have to educate myself further. I only have one car where that is an issue, but worth following up.