XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure gauge reading PSI

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 07:17 AM
Received 223 Likes on 121 Posts
Angry Oil Pressure gauge reading PSI

I finally got a NOS Veglia oil pressure gauge that reads in PSI (that I grew up with) rather than in "Hg (that I don't understand), as my 85 is a Canada - Metric car.
Now to attempt to do the swap. I've previously tried (and repeatedly) failed to rotate the Speedo and Tacho units. A PO redid the dash - very nicely so maybe the new finish has stuck to them so they do not rotate. I know the speedo was changed at some time as the old one came with the car. I'll try again today using more force than I did before. So Speedo rotates clockwise on a LHD auto- Yes?

If I manage to get in there, I plan to replace all the gauge bulbs also.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:36 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

On a US car the big gauges are just like you are looking down on the lid of a pickle jar. The best method I have found are using gloves you can get everywhere that are knit material with the palms and fingers coated in rubber. They have great grip on the guage but you can still feel with your fingers and won't scratch or mar anything. Put as many fingers on the rim as you can, push and turn. When you push it only goes down maybe a 1/16" and then it turns only maybe 1/4". Then wiggle the guage out. Note the paint on the guage rims is fragile so be carefull. Put a towel on the top of the steering column. Also the black plastic indicator light cover just pulls off so get that out of the way first.

The gauges are held in on the back by two knurled nuts you can undo with your fingers. Be careful to not drop them down in there.

Jeff

Old 01-21-2021, 08:18 AM

I really didn't answer your question. On a LHD car to remove the guage turn counterclockwise just like removing a pickle jar lid. I understand that on RHD cars it is the opposite but I can't confirm that.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:23 AM
Received 221 Likes on 140 Posts

The Tachometer and speedometer have to turn counter clockwise about ten degrees before they will pop out towards you. Great tool to push and turn with is the brake pedal pad. good friction.

Thank you

Larry Louton

Old 01-21-2021, 10:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had success with this job using two small suction cups, the kind you get with the gps units, placed opposite of each other at the edges of the glass. Then pushing in at the rim with one hand you can rotate the instrument turning on the suction cups.

Barcho
86XJ6

Old 01-21-2021, 12:50 PM

Lots of ways to get a good grip. Sunny winter day so I shot a quick video demonstrating how I get it out.

Jeff

Old 01-21-2021, 01:15 PM
Received 223 Likes on 121 Posts

Jeff, and all the others whose 2 cents were invaluable, Thanks.

An update. Removed the center light cover and still could not get them to budge! After 2 hours I remover the center warning light cluster (under the lenses), which gives much improved access to grip the rim of those 2 large gauges. Still no go. They push in against the springs but would not rotate a bit. Eventually, in desperation I spayed just a touch of WD40 between the dash wood and the gauges and excersised the spring rings.

Guess what - they popped right out! So pleased I went in to warm up and have a cold one.

Smooth sailing after that. I also removed the Speedometer in the same easy fashion.
Installed the new oil pressure gauge and changed the instrument illumination bulbs (red with white stripes)

Very pleased! Also removed the voltmeter and fixed the bent needle. Another post for that.
Thanks again guys and thanks for WD40!
Ian

Old 01-22-2021, 10:06 PM
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

In case it is of use to anyone, I've removed many,many of these on customer cars over the years and can definitely support the WD-40 solution - use it every time. On the rare cars where even this didn't free-up a grumpy gauge, I would just drop off the lower dash cover (in Australia, so bear in mind I am talking RHD cars) and reach up behind the gauge - sometimes the "pull-in and turn" worked where the "push-in and turn" didn't because I could get a solid grip on the bidy of the gauge that gave me more purchase. Hope that helps someone, sometime...
Allyn.