XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Passenger side door mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 08:55 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Passenger side door mirror

Just received a BD47263 non remote passenger side door mirror from Moss and it looks nothing like the the driver side mirror. Quality piece as it should be for $95! I find it difficult to drive with out a right side mirror. By the same token this is not a very good match. Bought a piece of Chinese junk on Ebay that looked more like the driver's side mirror and threw it into the trash.

Trying to decide if I should install the new mirror or return it. Any thoughts?

Old 08-13-2021, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 608 Posts

Return it and call David at Everyday XJ. He is an excellent source for good used/new parts.

Dave

Old 08-13-2021, 11:51 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

I second Dave's advice. And it won't cost near that much.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ditto . David will match it at a good price and promptly...

Carl

Old 08-18-2021, 09:35 PM

Sent it back yesterday. Not much luck finding a non-adjustable matching passenger side mirror.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,289 Likes on 5,418 Posts

Dave and Jeff and Carl have all suggested contacting David Bodger, <david@everydayxj.com> for a good used one. I'll add my recommendation to theirs.

Many of us here have done business with David and can speak to his good quality Jaguar parts and excellent customer service.

Email him with your parts needs, he'll give you a price quote and detailed description of what he has by return email and you can go from there.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (10-03-2022)
Old 08-19-2021, 09:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mirror

I have mirrors for an 85 XJ6. You need the just the mirror?

Old 08-19-2021, 04:03 PM

Need to see a photo... Mine is a 76 Series II XJ6c

Old 09-28-2021, 02:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Learning a lot on this Jag! Family driving me nuts this year. so jag a welcome diversion!!!!

ANyhow last night investigated that coolant sensor. It's interesting as it goes in bottom of tank but tank is sealed all around it. In therwords you pull sensor rod out and no coolant leaks out!!! They do thins by using a float magnet in the tank! So i jumpered the connection and sure enough the light went out. So next I sprayed MAF clener on the contacts and installed the sensor back in. The ECU thought about it for a minute or so and then said OK, I'll turn light out now! Funny huh!

Next i went after the power mirror. Just the right one not working.

Next I tried to take mirror off. Bad idea as I see destroying cheap plastic parts ! SO I stopped there and decided to pull the mirror glass off the motor. That worked out OK. Next I checked for power while my pal operated the mirror. BINGO- I had power. Next I reconnected the connector and While she operated the mirror, I whacked the little mirror motors with a hammer and one of them woke up!!!! By then It was dark so I closed it all up. Now I have a mirror that at least moves up and down. Will get after it again - and may try to just cross referrence motor numbers with some other little mirror motor. I'll bet other ford and jag motors may fit.

Hopefully I can keep the cost of these little electric gremlins down! Anyhow learning a little bit here. So what I can offer now is if we operate a mirror switch and hear clicking and only one mirror not responding, then we should go to the mirror itself - but I dont reccomend taking it off the door as too much plastic bits to break. But pop the glass off gently- theres a UTUBE vidio on a how to pop the glass too. When I open it next i plan on somehow lubricating those motors and maybe pulling the little one that isn't working and having a look at it. I hope I've helped someone as much as you nice people have helped me with my coolant level sensor and heater core!!!

Old 09-29-2021, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ditto That was about to be my suggestion.

If the only issue with the original mirror was the glass, there is another way.

I went on line some time ago for a fix for the busted glass in the mirro on my Jeep
i found a source Very cooperative. glass and ashesive. Repeated for daughtewr;s Passat. perfect. Not detectable. I glued the new glass to the busted glass...

Last edited by JagCad; 09-29-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:06 PM
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

Not sure what luck you have had but , the side mirrors on XJ6 S1 & 2 are very specific. Angers me that Moss tries to sell something they know does not match. They are around and spendy.

I

Last edited by Excalibur2012; 09-30-2022 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Typo !
Old 09-30-2022, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts

why not convert to Series 3 XJ electric mirrors?, adjustable for all driving situations from the driver's door.
I installed them in my 1965 S type and I would not go back to static / manual door mirrors.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
Jahmiata (09-30-2022), Mkii250 (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 09:14 AM
Default Originality

Looking at changes I think we all ask how far we want to go & at what cost. Adding a pax side mirror where there should be one in the first place is acceptable originality.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

yes but Original is not always safe in today's roads and traffic, especially if you drive the car comingling with modern cars.
I like original but modernized with air conditioning, power mirrors, nice stereo system, etc., because I drive the cars, not show them. It's a matter of choices, what one prefers, or not.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:05 PM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

I think RH mirrors were an option. At least they were for S1's.
That's why they are hard to find.
Rob

Old 10-01-2022, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,289 Likes on 5,418 Posts

It's a matter of mindset and expectation: one must remember you're driving your CLASSIC with Classic mirrors and Classic brakes, both from the last century.

It won't stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change like any modern (soulless) tuna can with ABS brakes will, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not as safe to drive, even in heavy city traffic, if one pays attention.

Same with mirrors. If you're accustomed to Wraparound power mirrors as big as a dinner plate that you can play with while driving, and you don't adjust your expectations and driving style, you're gonna have trouble with our relatively small mirrors from the last century whether they're powered or not.

I have mirrors on all my rigs set the same and I never move them. Right mirror is set low, looks down the right side, a mere sliver of my car just barely shows, I can see cars just off the right rear and the white shoulder line. If I can see the Right side of the guy's bumper I have at least 15 feet between us (not much at 70 mph but enough) and I can safely change lanes (after properly signalling for a couple hundred feet to get his attention). This also goes for my work truck.

Left mirror is also set low (there's no need to see the sky) but as I'm a lot closer to it, I can see a whole lot more of the road behind me, and cover that nasty blind spot just over my left shoulder. Even at that I always turn and check anyway, because, for example, a murder cycle might have sneaked up beside me, who I would certainly cream if I pulled out in front of him, not to mention what it would do to my door!

The center mirror is set dead center and fills in what the others miss.

I set my mirrors where I can Trust them and leave them alone! If someone moves one (some school girl, friend's kid, checked her lipstick one day), they get an earful for sure! It might take me several days to get it back Just Right.
(';')

Old 10-01-2022, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
It's a matter of mindset and expectation: one must remember you're driving your CLASSIC with Classic mirrors and Classic brakes, both from the last century.

It won't stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change like any modern (soulless) tuna can with ABS brakes will, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not as safe to drive, even in heavy city traffic, if one pays attention.

Same with mirrors. If you're accustomed to Wraparound power mirrors as big as a dinner plate that you can play with while driving, and you don't adjust your expectations and driving style, you're gonna have trouble with our relatively small mirrors from the last century whether they're powered or not.

I have mirrors on all my rigs set the same and I never move them. Right mirror is set low, looks down the right side, a mere sliver of my car just barely shows, I can see cars just off the right rear and the white shoulder line. If I can see the Right side of the guy's bumper I have at least 15 feet between us (not much at 70 mph but enough) and I can safely change lanes (after properly signalling for a couple hundred feet to get his attention). This also goes for my work truck.

Left mirror is also set low (there's no need to see the sky) but as I'm a lot closer to it, I can see a whole lot more of the road behind me, and cover that nasty blind spot just over my left shoulder. Even at that I always turn and check anyway, because, for example, a murder cycle might have sneaked up beside me, who I would certainly cream if I pulled out in front of him, not to mention what it would do to my door!

The center mirror is set dead center and fills in what the others miss.

I set my mirrors where I can Trust them and leave them alone! If someone moves one (some school girl, friend's kid, checked her lipstick one day), they get an earful for sure! It might take me several days to get it back Just Right.
(';')
Right ! So here is my question. The RH mirror I have has the cables attached, I do not need to adjust the mirror once set. Pondering installation, anyone have experience storing or removing the cable & making these manually adjustable, applying enough friction so they will stay in place ?

Old 10-02-2022, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

a simpler less expensive option:

fit a new matched pair of manual, oblong door mirrors.
Amazon has many lookalikes for under $40. for a driver/passenger pair.

Original XJ mirrors were either sourced from Lucas or from General Motors or from who knows who.

In the case of the electric mirrors fitted to Series 3 XJ, those were sourced from Jeep Wagoneer / American Motors.

Parts are parts.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HI
try hear it is in England
https://texautomotive.com/product-category/mirrors/

hope that helps

The following users liked this post:
Coventrywood (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 02:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick Reply: Passenger side door mirror