XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Photos - Plan of attack XJ6 '85 Cranberry

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photos - Plan of attack XJ6 '85 Cranberry

There were some suggestions in my previous thread that the best plan of attack would be to find a better vehicle as a project to save me time and money. I spent the time to take some photo's of Ms Moneypenny so as to give a better idea on her current condition.....let me know what you think.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...iii-1985-5424/

Original thread is here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oration-80247/

Last edited by baldie_77; 09-10-2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: add link
Old 09-10-2012, 03:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Your first thread on this got a lot of responses and good advice.

Although availability of both used Jaguar vehicles and parts is different in Australia from the US and Europe, the general agreement is that restoration work always costs more than the final value of the vehicle except for anything very rare. There is also a big cost difference between making a basically sound car presentable and making it concours. I get the impression you want a tidy car but not a concours one?

I've gone through your photo album and was expecting to see the SIII in much worse condition than it is.

The items of particular concern are:

1. the rust around the screen apertures.
Once the screens are out to fully investigate this, the body will almost certainly need more rusted area cutting out and replacing than is evident on the surface in the pics.

2. the area around the fuel filler.
If you're lucky, this may be mainly paint damage due to overfilling but could go as far as replacing the top of the wing.

3. pitting on the bumper chrome.
these trims are so thin that rechroming is rarely successful as the process often introduced distortion.

The pic of the scratched door shows bad 'orange peel' in the paint at the top. This is indicative of a poor quality refinish at some time the vehicles history. Not in itself a big issue but the reason for it being done may be concealed by the paint.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
baldie_77 (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 AM

Excellent, thnaks for that Graham. You're right, I have had a lot of people provide me with some great advice on a starting point. I thought the pics may help a little to 'paint the picture' so to speak.

I have made the ultimate decision to roll my sleaves up and get stuck into this car. It is most certainly my favourite model and I realise I will never recoupe the $$ I pour into it. Looks like I will be eating 2 min noodles for a while.

I have my fingers crossed regarding hidden corrosion, but I shall cross that bridge when I come to it.

I will keep this particular thread updated with progress.

Thanks again.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts

doesn't look as bad as you first described it, the car looks nice.

I would start start by removing the Dash Pad and its related pieces, then the rear parcel shelf upholstery parts; Clean them wiith vinyl Cleaner, then treat them with Armor All or similar vinyl protectants, then box them and store them away safely, using baggies for the small parts and screws clearly labeled as you remove them, don't rely on memory, it never works. Also cover the naked top of dash and parcel shelf areas with clear plastic sheets and masking tape to keep dust out. It's a labor of love.

then remove both windscreens and get to work on repairing the cowl rust front and back. The reason to remove the dash pad and rear parcel shelf upholstery is to protect the vinyl pand plastic parts from all the tools and materials you'll be using in those areas. It will be messy.

you might need to remove the boot's Drain/Vent Pan (below the rear parcel shelf inside the trunk) since it might be rusted too, and take the time to reinforce the rivetted and glued Vent Flaps which create "cowbell" noises when they lose their damping material, originally headliner fabric was used over the metal flap area.

Above all, have fun.

baldie_77 (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 AM

So I got a phone call from my mechanic, and it seems I was heading in the right direction when I conducted a visual inspection of both fuel pumps in the boot. Pulled off hoses to make sure fuel was coming from the pumps. It was in fact a relay for one of the fuel pumps and a new battery as it was not holding charge.

Better than an alternator issue though so I am happy as Larry. Should get it back tomorrow afternoon. :-) Then to start!

Thanks guys!....will keep you in the loop.

Chris

Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 AM
GGG

Chris,

Towed in to your mechanic. Does this mean actually able to drive home?

Graham

Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 AM

From speaking with today he said he had it running and will hopefully be in the position to drive it home tomorrow.

The mechanics is less than 10km away and the cost of having it towed there was far less than having a mechanic come to my address and look at the car (especially if it was a fault that couldn't be rectified on my driveway and would have to be towed anyway)

As it was running like a song prior I did not want Ms Moneypenny sitting not running any longer. I have neither the tools or mechanical mindset to do what is required.

My forte is electronics and will use my handskills for sorting all of that out and purchase the required materials and tools to restore the interior....

Needless to say...I am looking forward to an excursion this weekend

Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

Originally Posted by baldie_77
There were some suggestions in my previous thread that the best plan of attack would be to find a better vehicle as a project to save me time and money. I spent the time to take some photo's of Ms Moneypenny so as to give a better idea on her current condition.....let me know what you think.

I agree with Jose....not as bad as I thought it would be.

The body repairs and paint will still be a heap of money (several thousand dollars for top grade work) but the interior doesn't look bad at all, really. Unless you're after absolute perfection I'd say it (the interior) can be freshened-up very easily and with minimal expenditure.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM
GGG

...................Needless to say...I am looking forward to an excursion this weekend
Enjoy the trip and don't forget your camera.

Graham

Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 AM

I am so excited I had to get on and say that Miss Moneypenny is back in action.

Having picked her up this afternoon I have been making every excuse to run some errands. I met the mechanic for the first time having been referred to him by a friend. Down at his workshop he has a premises adjacent to the workshop devoted to a showroom full of beautiful Jaguars of different eras. I did not have the time to meander through but this time around but at first glance.....WOW.

I spoke with him about my restoration plans and he told me that while he will give me all the assistance I need he won't ill advise me on spending money I do not need to spend and in essence over capitalise on the vehicle.

Aside from changing the relay and battery he flushed the fuel lines and topped up ALL the fluids without charging me. The car was serviced not too long before the fault rendered it a 'static display' so he said rather than service it again straight away drive it around a bit and see how she blows.

A big sigh of relief on speaking with him as I have no doubt he full bottle and is very customer friendly. Labour was just as expensive as parts but it drives better now for some reason than it ever has even after a full service which I find hard to ascertain.

On that point, would simply flushing the fuel system have this effect on noticable performance.

I am happy to post a postive narrative on my delightful experience with my new mechanic.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

how about some pics of the mechanic's museum?

baldie_77 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM

I am onto it Jose...watch this space!

Having smashed this forum your ongoing input does not go without notice.

In fact, you are my new best friend!

Jose (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

I am onto it Jose...watch this space!

Having smashed this forum your ongoing input does not go without notice.

In fact, you are my new best friend!
Thank you balidie_77 !!