XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Plan of attack XJ6 '86 restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Gentlemen:

1) never pay for any car repair in advance, that's common sense.

2) ask for references from the mechanic, AND ask questions like: "have you worked on similar cars like mine before?", "how long will this job take?"...

3) do not assume anything, do not believe everything, get proof by word of mouth from references. No references? Walk away. If in doubt, consult the Better Business Bureau website for any complaints against the particular shop or mechanic.

4) automotive repair shop ripoffs in the USA are common. ALWAYS get a second opinion.
If your doctor tells you you need a brain transplant and he can do it for $2 grand wouldn't you get a second opinion?

5) not all mechanics are crooks, and not all mechanics are Jaguar mechanics. One time I called a Jaguar dealer to get my '84 transmission mount inspected and I was told by the Service Manager: "my mechanics are younger than your car, they have no experience with your model year, my best advice is to find a local shop that KNOWS about your car". I took his advice.

The following users liked this post:
baldie_77 (09-10-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****I have replicated the following post here as well re mechanics for the benefit of those who added their opinion. A good news story for vehicle mechanics.****

I am so excited I had to get on and say that Miss Moneypenny is back in action.

Having picked her up this afternoon I have been making every excuse to run some errands. I met the mechanic for the first time having been referred to him by a friend. Down at his workshop he has a premises adjacent to the workshop devoted to a showroom full of beautiful Jaguars of different eras. I did not have the time to meander through but this time around but at first glance.....WOW.

I spoke with him about my restoration plans and he told me that while he will give me all the assistance I need he won't ill advise me on spending money I do not need to spend and in essence over capitalise on the vehicle.

Aside from changing the relay and battery he flushed the fuel lines and topped up ALL the fluids without charging me. The car was serviced not too long before the fault rendered it a 'static display' so he said rather than service it again straight away drive it around a bit and see how she blows.

A big sigh of relief on speaking with him as I have no doubt he full bottle and is very customer friendly. Labour was just as expensive as parts but it drives better now for some reason than it ever has even after a full service which I find hard to ascertain.

On that point, would simply flushing the fuel system have this effect on noticable performance.

I am happy to post a postive narrative on my delightful experience with my new mechanic.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 AM
Received 136 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow,
Sounds like you have a great mechanic there! Keep him happy. Yes a fuel system flush could make a big difference in the way the car runs, but if he didn't drain and flush the tanks really well it could be temporary. But he sounds like a very conscientious guy. His labor costs will probably be well worth it.
Good luck,
Bill