XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Power steering rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Power steering rebuild sources

Jose,
From where did you buy your rebuilt rack? PowerSteering.com aka BAP (Buy Auto Parts) had a tech speak with my mechanic who immediately stated the rack was bad and has to be replaced. They will cover the rack, but not the labor since i bought the rack myself. Most mechanics I talked to said that they want customers to purchase directly since there are so many bad rebuilds out there and they don't want to risk the cost of labor for a bad rack. Now I'm wondering if I just should have gone with a different vendor like Welsh without getting full refund since this failure might mean they don't pressure test their rebuilds, and I might have the same situation again.

The only good thing is that there was no push back on the rack being defective.
David

Last edited by dk65; Today at 09:50 AM.
Old Today, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,861 Posts

David,
I ordered it from a business in Atlanta GA. That was in the 1990's, don't know if they are still in business.
It was the same, they replaced the leaker no problem but not the labor.

I did it myself so I had no labor money lost.

It really is a simple job to replace a rack, unless you are not comfortable with tools and mechanicals.

Also I recommend you order the polyurethane bushing kit and bracket from John's Cars in Texas.
These XJ-6 racks have a tendency to move side-to-side with the original rubber bushings. John's Cars kit eliminates this sway and gives you better / positive steering feedback.
It is a piece of cake to replace the rubber bushings with polyurethane bushings and the included bracket when replacing the rack. You must follow the instructions. The bracket goes on the driver's side bolt that holds the rack to the front suspension. NOTE: you must call them on the phone to order the kit.
www.johnscars.com

Last edited by Jose; Today at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dk65 (Today)