XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Pre HE 5.3 not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 06:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Alan,

Still sorting this, and it 7PM. Bloody hard to read and one item appears missing on the schematics, which I find very hard to fathom.

The Inertia Switch appears NOWHERE. It is mentioned in the Legend, but tracing ALL wires related to the Pump, ECU, Starter, etc, circuits, show NO switch anywhere. It cuts Fuel Pump Activity, and could be all that is wrong with your car, but these schematics are terrible if that is not shown.

Please go to your car and reset that Inertia Switch, OR, simply join the 2 wires together, On our RHD cars it is on the Passengers (LH) A pillar just inside the door seal, and tucked just below the dash lower casing. The passenger could hit it with their foot if not careful when getting in and out of the car. NO idea if its the same side or the other side on LHD cars.
So I got out to the garage this morning. Hotwired the relay like you suggested. I also installed a new Bosch fuel pump just thinking that the old Lucas pump might be faulty. I can hear and see it coming online when I turn the ignition on. I checked for an inertial switch and could not find one on either pillar.

those are the right and left pillars respectively.

I was also going to try and bring a multimeter home from work today to ensure that the pump is getting the proper 12 volts from the new relay. It's a shot in the dark but worth a look.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 AM
Received 10,592 Likes on 6,996 Posts

OK, I see no switch or a cover that may be covering it, and I have NO snaps of that area of any of mine, and they are long time left the fleet.

With that Hotwire, and you saying you could "See it coming online with the Ign ON" means that the pump works via the relay with the Hotwire, yes??

Does the engine run with that Hotwire?

Old 05-27-2021, 08:19 AM

Here is my PDF (the system does not like Word Doco's) on what I have found, with some diagnostic suggestions included.

I have done it as an attachment, as I think to "copy/paste" what I wrote would be HUGE.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D Jetronic worksheet.pdf (26.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 11:29 AM

Here is my PDF (the system does not like Word Doco's) on what I have found, with some diagnostic suggestions included.

I have done it as an attachment, as I think to "copy/paste" what I wrote would be HUGE.
Sorry for the delay in response. This week has been busy for me. I wound up getting the car to start and run consistently. What I wound up doing is going under the hood and cleaning each lead of every relay under the hood. I also cleaned the grounds in the trunk and under the hood. Most were corroded. When I tried to crank the car afterwards it fired right up. I ran it for several minutes to make sure it was consistent. The car also started this morning with zero issues. So it seems my electrical problem was simply corrosion.

The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Bame:
Grant Francis (06-03-2021), Greg in France (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 04:45 AM

BEERS ON YOU.

Well done.

What I say every time, "SIMPLE cars these Jags, especially the V12 version".

Old 06-03-2021, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,447 Likes on 5,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Bame
Sorry for the delay in response. This week has been busy for me. I wound up getting the car to start and run consistently. What I wound up doing is going under the hood and cleaning each lead of every relay under the hood. I also cleaned the grounds in the trunk and under the hood. Most were corroded. When I tried to crank the car afterwards it fired right up. I ran it for several minutes to make sure it was consistent. The car also started this morning with zero issues. So it seems my electrical problem was simply corrosion.
A huge lesson there for all current owners of Jaguars of this era.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Alan Bame (06-10-2021), Grant Francis (06-03-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 08:05 PM

BEERS ON YOU.

Well done.

What I say every time, "SIMPLE cars these Jags, especially the V12 version".
Thanks a lot for sticking it out with me only to find out it was simple corrosion. I am not a great mechanic but I am learning as I go with this beast of a car. My next project now that she's starting and running fine is to remove the fuel tanks that I have temporarily replaced with an aluminum cell and clean, solder and reseal them to bring the fuel system back to original. They are in awful shape as the car had been parked for more than a decade before I rescued it last year.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (06-11-2021)