XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Advice? Looking for opinions on the price of xj6 series 2 I am looking at buyin

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price Advice? Looking for opinions on the price of xj6 series 2 I am looking at buyin

Hey guys, I am new here. Looking to buy my first classic jag and looking for help from more experienced people, I found a xj6 series 2 from 1975, 6 cylinder engine 4dr near me but I am unsure if the price is as good as i think? I am wondering what you guys think its worth has a little bit of an interesting story to it.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Rule Number 1:
do not buy any car without inspecting in person or you will regret it. This rule does not forgive.

You need to look underneath at the exhaust system looking for rust. The floors and the jacking points in particular. Do they hold the car up when replacing a tire? Only an on-site inspection will answer that.

rust around the front and rear windscreens.

and no less important, does it run and shift or are there any excuses?

Deduct $500.00 from the price for every excuse.

The following users liked this post:
yachtmanbuttson (06-04-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
Rule Number 1:
do not buy any car without inspecting in person or you will regret it. This rule does not forgive.

You need to look underneath at the exhaust system looking for rust. The floors and the jacking points in particular. Do they hold the car up when replacing a tire? Only an on-site inspection will answer that.

rust around the front and rear windscreens.

and no less important, does it run and shift or are there any excuses?
Appoliges I should have added that I went to see it in person today and from what I've seen there's very little rust, she isn't starting but the owner says it's due to some kind of choke? Or the carborator? He's looking for 2650, I tried offering 1500

Old 06-03-2020, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

$2,650. for a non-running anything is too much, since you don't know if the seller is being honest. A choke or carb won't prevent an engine from running permanently.

Is the engine seized? you don't know. You need to try and rotate the engine before you pay.

$1,200.00 is a fair offer. You are buying someone else's problem.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:16 PM

$2,650. for a non-running anything is too much, since you don't know if the seller is being honest. A choke or carb won't prevent an engine from running permanently.

Is the engine seized? you don't know. You need to try and rotate the engine before you pay.

$1,200.00 is a fair offer. You are buying someone else's problem.
Thanks for all the help BTW, I was able to turn the, I am not sure what it's called, at the top of the engine, it didn't seem to be seized up.

The following users liked this post:
Jose (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

As the car has Irish plates, I assume it's in, or come from, Ireland. So is the price is Euros or Pounds ? The car is certainly not worth £2650 or even that in Euros, as it is a non-runner and does not look well cared for. That car looks as if it needs a shedload of money spending on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Jose (06-03-2020), yachtmanbuttson (06-04-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

can you describe what you were able to rotate on top of the engine?

and yes, if the price is in £, that is even more than dollars. Too much.

Sometimes it is better to walk away from non running cars. You can get better for that kind of money.

and by the way, Welcome to the forum. And you're welcome. I think you might be happier with a Series 3.

Last edited by Jose; 06-03-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
As the car has Irish plates, I assume it's in, or come from, Ireland. So is the price is Euros or Pounds ? The car is certainly not worth £2650 or even that in Euros, as it is a non-runner and does not look well cared for. That car looks as if it needs a shedload of money spending on it.
It would be euros, what would you think a reasonable offer would be?

Old 06-03-2020, 04:34 PM

can you describe what you were able to rotate on top of the engine?

and yes, if the price is in £, that is even more than dollars. Too much.

Sometimes it is better to walk away from non running cars. You can get better for that kind of money.

and by the way, Welcome to the forum. And you're welcome. I think you might be happier with a Series 3.
Would be this model I am looking for.. Its for my mother she's Al ays wanted one... Thanks for the help guys

Old 06-03-2020, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Jamie, $1,200.00 USD is fair. Convert that to Euros. Twelve hundred dollars.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jamie ward
Would be this model I am looking for.. Its for my mother she's Al ays wanted one... Thanks for the help guys
the water pump or fan clutch shaft?

the way to check is to get a socket and a breaker bar and attach the socket to the nut at the bottom crankshaft pulley, rotating the engine clockwise (never anti-clockwise).

Old 06-03-2020, 05:17 PM

the way to check is to get a socket and a breaker bar and attach the socket to the nut at the bottom crankshaft pulley, rotating the engine clockwise (never anti-clockwise).
tht

Old 06-03-2020, 05:30 PM

I turned some kind of shaft clockwise, just near the fan it's kind of hexagonal? Theres a belt system connected?

Old 06-04-2020, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

"I am wondering what you guys think its worth has a little bit of an interesting story to it."
So what is the "interesting story" ?

BTW it sounds as if you turned over the engine as a big hexagon where you indicated is the bolt holding on the crankshaft damper and fan pul

Sorry to have to say this, but so far from what you have written, you would seem to have no mechanical knowledge of cars, or have done any "homework" on these Jaguars prior to looking at this one, am I right ? If so, then I would avoid this car. Work on these cars is lengthy in time and if you're not doing the work yourself can quickly run up huge bills. Why not look for a running and roadworthy car, one you can see running and driving. As for which model series of XJ saloons, the Series 3 (1979-86) or even an X350 aluminium car (2003-2009) would be even better. If you can find an XJ6 from 1994-1997 which has the Jaguar "curves" that is also a reliable car. The car you are looking at is a Series 2, and they are not renowned for build quality; this was the 70s remember !

Too many vendors with an old Jaguar rotting away in the barn seem to think "Oh, its a classic car, it must be worth a lot of money" Hooey !! Your car is what would be classed as a "project" at a classic car auction. The assumption being that by buying, you're going to restore the car and have a budget to do so.

Sorry if I write a bit harshly, but its important to be realistic

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 06-04-2020 at 04:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Jag7651 (06-04-2020), LT1 jaguar (06-04-2020), yachtmanbuttson (06-04-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

sounds like you turned the fan to water pump bolt. They will rotate regardless if engine is seized.

hire a mechanic to inspect the car. Tell him you want to know if the engine is seized or not.

I think this XJ model has the electronic choke which is a pain to deal with. It is called the "AED", for Auxiliary Enrichment Device.
There is a conversion kit to delete this AED electric choke and use a cable choke instead, but it is expensive and requires a scientist to install and adjust.

anyway the engine can be started with starting fluid but that also requires a mechanic or someone with experience.

Last edited by Jose; 06-05-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:13 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Be sure to read the Buyer's Guide found in the links at the top of the page. I've bought scores of old cars but I have never bought a non-running car. It could be anything from a bad electrical connection all the way up to a major catastrophe in the engine. But that's not the reason I don't buy it. If it's not running you can't test the brakes, the steering, the transmission the aircon etc etc. So I figure if it's not running every one of those could be broken. So figure a price based on it being a parts car which around here is about $300 to $500.

Go test drive some nice ones so you have a basis of comparison. Sooner or later you'll find a nice running car that you can check everything mentioned above and buy for a fair price. Then you can drive and enjoy it while you are working on little things.

Jeff

Old 06-05-2020, 08:16 AM

So what is the "interesting story" ?

BTW it sounds as if you turned over the engine as a big hexagon where you indicated is the bolt holding on the crankshaft damper and fan pul

Sorry to have to say this, but so far from what you have written, you would seem to have no mechanical knowledge of cars, or have done any "homework" on these Jaguars prior to looking at this one, am I right ? If so, then I would avoid this car. Work on these cars is lengthy in time and if you're not doing the work yourself can quickly run up huge bills. Why not look for a running and roadworthy car, one you can see running and driving. As for which model series of XJ saloons, the Series 3 (1979-86) or even an X350 aluminium car (2003-2009) would be even better. If you can find an XJ6 from 1994-1997 which has the Jaguar "curves" that is also a reliable car. The car you are looking at is a Series 2, and they are not renowned for build quality; this was the 70s remember !

Too many vendors with an old Jaguar rotting away in the barn seem to think "Oh, its a classic car, it must be worth a lot of money" Hooey !! Your car is what would be classed as a "project" at a classic car auction. The assumption being that by buying, you're going to restore the car and have a budget to do so.

Sorry if I write a bit harshly, but its important to be realistic
Ahh no man I completely under stand like I know barely anything but I am prepared to work on it yeno and love the advice

Old 06-05-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
Welcome to the Forum. Be sure to read the Buyer's Guide found in the links at the top of the page. I've bought scores of old cars but I have never bought a non-running car. It could be anything from a bad electrical connection all the way up to a major catastrophe in the engine. But that's not the reason I don't buy it. If it's not running you can't test the brakes, the steering, the transmission the aircon etc etc. So I figure if it's not running every one of those could be broken. So figure a price based on it being a parts car which around here is about $300 to $500.

Go test drive some nice ones so you have a basis of comparison. Sooner or later you'll find a nice running car that you can check everything mentioned above and buy for a fair price. Then you can drive and enjoy it while you are working on little things.

Jeff
Thanks a lot Jeff appreciate the help

Old 06-05-2020, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jamie ward
Ahh no man I completely under stand like I know barely anything but I am prepared to work on it yeno and love the advice
In 1980, when I finally came to a Mark 2 Jaguar as the car I most wanted in the world, I had mostly only ever worked on motorbikes. I did do a small bit of tinkering with cars in a minor way, so I took on a BIG job, far bigger than I ever imagined ! My Mark 2 took 7 years to rebuild !! At the end of it I was pretty well-up on Mark 2s and all their peculiarities, plus I had a shedload of tools.
So, it you are a really determined chap, get the car if you can drive the price right down, but don't be under any illusion it will be a quick job. Be prepared for work, lots of it !!

Old 06-05-2020, 03:11 PM

In 1980, when I finally came to a Mark 2 Jaguar as the car I most wanted in the world, I had mostly only ever worked on motorbikes. I did do a small bit of tinkering with cars in a minor way, so I took on a BIG job, far bigger than I ever imagined ! My Mark 2 took 7 years to rebuild !! At the end of it I was pretty well-up on Mark 2s and all their peculiarities, plus I had a shedload of tools.
So, it you are a really determined chap, get the car if you can drive the price right down, but don't be under any illusion it will be a quick job. Be prepared for work, lots of it !!
Cheers for the encouragement I really appreciate it, I am definitely gonna try drive the price down, I didn't even go into this thinking it be easy, I ready to chisel away at a big job, its for my mother yeno