Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problematic 1993 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problematic 1993 XJ6

Hey guys,

I have never quite felt so helpless as I have the past couple days with my xj6. Before I get into it, I want to start with where I first had the issue arise that my car no longer started. Three days ago I had been driving the car around perfectly fine, nothing serious seemed wrong with the car. Then I let the car sit outside overnight because I was using the space in my garage. However, the next day I went out to start the car up and the cranking seemed a little strained. I almost got the car to turn over and then it just quit on me. I tried again but this time the cranking felt entirely different as if the car isn't even trying to turn over, it's just makes this sad whine synchronized to the flashing of all the lights on the dash. Tried jumping the car thinking maybe the battery was drained outside in the cold, nothing. Wondered if it were maybe spark plugs, or the fuel pump but I swear I hear the fuel pump turn on when I switch to phase II... I just feel really clueless as to where I should look next and wondered if those symptoms may sound familiar to someone else. Pretty new to repairing my own vehicle so the answer could be obvious, idk. Just looking for a little help, and your time is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nick

Old 02-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum.

As a '93, your car is an XJ40 model. You are likely to find more help by posting in the XJ40 section. This section is for the older Series XJ6 models preceding your XJ40.

A tip for the future is to give some clues about your location since our Jaguars have many variations often according to the country / region you're in.

Best wishes with resolving your problem!

Old 02-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 323 Likes on 227 Posts

If your battery has truly died. It could be causing a dead spot in the circuit, which would be what's preventing you jump starting the car. Also you should be using the new jumper lead design, which protects the car's electronics from getting damaged. If you haven't you may have deprogrammed the ECU, though that really is a worse case scenario & I doubt you've done that. & yes, location & the environmental conditions at the time (aka weather) would be very useful too.