XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Proper rack mounting procedure for "old style" bushes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 12:12 PM
Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Proper rack mounting procedure for "old style" bushes

Need wise advice on proper rack mounting hardware. Below you see my old rack which had poly-style split bushings, and my new Coventry West rack with traditional rubber bushings. I am a bit confused on what I need to do to properly mount the new rack.

The last picture is from Moss XJ6 catalog and on the left shows a "traditional" mount with the U-shaped bracket and the rubber bush and the fat thrust washer.. but only on ONE side of the rubber bush. In fact, the parts info with this diagram shows (2) needed and a comment "Required with original rack mounts"

So, I plan to use the U-shaped bracket that was ALSO used on my old rack, but I also ordered two thrust washers to mimic the diagram.

Assuming that is correct (please advise if not), these are a couple of associated questions:

- Do the thrust washers go outboard, inboard or some other combo of the two?
- Do I still need to use spacer washers. In my old mount, there were 3 thin spacers on pass side and
one thick one on the driver side. But they all fell out before I could see their positioning (left/right or top/bottom)

Thanks for the advice. I don't quite understand why this rack mounting is sooooo particular. I assume the spacers are to
compensate for manufacturing differences in the rack mount "tabs" and the subframe brackets they insert in. Makes sense that
you don't want it from sliding laterally at all.

Thanks - Randy

Old 07-26-2021, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,866 Posts

as far as I remember installing new bushings, the thin spacers go between the rubber and the front member bracket "ears", one on each side of the rubber bushing, total 4, to prevent wear of the bushings against the ears or the rack.

on the side of the U bracket or "shield", there were no spacers since the bracket itself was the spacer. But I could be wrong. I did the John's Cars bushing kit.