XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:23 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Hi Carl,I really don't want to play with height of car too much. Adjusting the driveway is not an option as it can't be made any less steep, and it is the top of drive is the problem. So can't change the approach angle.
I'm really hoping the engine mounts and pipes can get me across the line. After I do the mounts in a couple of days,I will see a mate at an exhaust shop to see if I can do anything there .
Clarke

Old 03-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Grant, in your last post you mention LWB. Is mine a LWB model? I think it is a SWB going by what info I could find. Doe's VIN give any indication.

Update. 1L30046BW. Just read another thread where it is stated that the 1L is series 1 LWB,so I assume the BW part is Borg Warner?
Hi Clarke.

First of all your car is really gorgeous! Great pics... But it's definitely a short wheelbase. The 1L doesn't mean it's LWB. I forget what the VIN prefix is for LWB is and don't have my books in front of me but I grabbed a quick side view pic of a LWB Series 1. Take a look at the length of the rear door compared to yours - dead giveaway. IIRC LWB's are 6 inches longer.

Sorry can't help with your driveway issue - mine is steep but not nearly as steep as yours

Attached Thumbnails Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?-jaguar_xj12l.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by rustfreemike:
Grant Francis (03-06-2014), o1xjr (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Default Problem sorted

Hi Mike,
Thanks again for your help with the kickdown,now sorted. New micro switch. Broken engine mounts were causing the sticking throttle we talked about too,engine was moving a long way when accelerating up hill causing cable to get stuck behind master cylinder.
Yep looking at your pic I can see the rear window is noticeably longer than the front,looking out the window mine looks the same size as the front.
.................................................. .................................................. ..

Thankyou all for your input on this thread. Lots of good solutions,fortunately I did not have to change ride height. I fitted the new engine mounts today, that gave me around 20mm more clearance. Then undid pipe connections and jiggled the pipes around pushed them up into the trans tunnel .Got a good 50mm there,tightened it all up again and road tested. Pipe not touching body anywhere
and about 40-mm clearance at worst position over top of the drive with me in the car and 2 half full tanks.
As you can see in the pics two of the rubber layers were missing off both mounts.

Clarke

Attached Thumbnails Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?-dsc_8359.jpg   Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?-dsc_8376.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 PM

Hi Mike,
Thanks again for your help with the kickdown,now sorted. New micro switch. Broken engine mounts were causing the sticking throttle we talked about too,engine was moving a long way when accelerating up hill causing cable to get stuck behind master cylinder.
Yep looking at your pic I can see the rear window is noticeably longer than the front,looking out the window mine looks the same size as the front.
Clarke
Hi Clarke,
Glad to hear you got the kickdown working!

That was one F-ed up engine mount alright The mounts in my 73 are screwed up as well. Not broken but weirdly distorted. The top and bottom bolts don't line up so the cylinder shape of the mount kind of leans forward. Not sure how that happened but I'm sure it had something to do with the stupid PO's shenannigans. Gotta switch mine out soon too.

BTW do you have any more pics of your car? I'd Love to see the interior.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:56 AM
Default Interier shots.

Hi Mike, yep those engine mounts were pretty well F'd. I was so engrosed in my Jaguar purchase things like that went un noticed. I wanted this series 1 since about 1976,so as long as it had those horn grills under the high beam lights it was going to be a good buy. Getting to see the real car now!. Still all good .
See...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...t-su-s-111909/

We(some of us southerners) are working on a document including pics to tune HS 8's,I'm in the middle of taking pics and tuning the carbs as we speak,so to say.
here is some pics of the interior from the add I bought it from,nothing has changed yet. Except the radio,so I can plug in my mp3 and listen to CCR,Eagles,Bob Seger, and ACDC. Nothing like an old bloke at the lights pumping out Bob Seger (lol). That pulls the chicks.

Cheers, Clarke

Attached Thumbnails Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?-%24_20-2-.jpg   Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?-%24_20-3-.jpg   Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?-%24_20-4-.jpg   Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?-%24_20-5-.jpg   Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?-%24_20-6-.jpg  

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-08-2014 at 07:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rustfreemike (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 295 Likes on 163 Posts

01xjr
that XJ6 series 1 is gorgeous!

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Thanks Count, It looks better in the pictures. It is in serious need of a paint job,but that's got to wait a year or so. Budget constraints. Lucky I got the car at all since I already have 2 cars plus motorcycles. And a very understanding wife.

Cheers,Clarke

Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 PM

Hi Mike, yep those engine mounts were pretty well F'd. I was so engrosed in my Jaguar purchase things like that went un noticed. I wanted this series 1 since about 1976,so as long as it had those horn grills under the high beam lights it was going to be a good buy. Getting to see the real car now!. Still all good .
See...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...t-su-s-111909/

We(some of us southerners) are working on a document including pics to tune HS 8's,I'm in the middle of taking pics and tuning the carbs as we speak,so to say.
here is some pics of the interior from the add I bought it from,nothing has changed yet. Except the radio,so I can plug in my mp3 and listen to CCR,Eagles,Bob Seger, and ACDC. Nothing like an old bloke at the lights pumping out Bob Seger (lol). That pulls the chicks.

Cheers, Clarke
Thanks for the pics Clarke! Nice! It always seems like Aussie cars have the coolest A/C setups. Obviously it was made for the car to take the place of the parcel shelves and oddments tray. I always wondered why Australian cars always seem to have some sort of aftermarket system... I'm assuming it's because the Jag installed evaporator in the dash like mine has isn't up to the challenge of a Queensland summer.

I know what you're saying about being engrossed in the purchase and not looking at the little things. When I bought my 73 I wanted it so badly I was blinded to the rust and other things. Just wanted a Series 1.

That's a fancy, new-fangled sound system all right. Mine's still rockin' the original British Leyland AM-FM analog infotainment system. I'm hoping to find an original 8-track in good condition so I can upgrade

~Mike

Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 AM

Hi Mike, when I bought a stack of bits and pieces from a wrecker I asked how much for the stereo and surround panel, he just said take it you got most of the rest of the dash anyway.
That is still the old one in the pic.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:50 AM
Default New Stereo and surround

Mike, Here is a pic of the new one. Looks much better.

Attached Thumbnails Raise rear of xj6 S1 ?-dsc_8570.jpg  

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-10-2014 at 07:48 AM.