Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement engine and transmission for an XJC

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Replacement engine and transmission for an XJC

Hi,

I've bought an XJC restoration project!!!! It's the jaguar I've always wanted since my last one got stolen many years ago.

Been looking through info on swaps to a later engine and transmission.

Definitely want to keep a Jaguar engine and not looking to increase power etc. Just looking for economy and reliabilty gains.

I've almost decided that the AJ6 engine from an xjs 4.0 is going to be a good option.

Is the xjs automatic transmission the best option (would prefer manual but anything that's more efficient will be better) as it's basically a straightforward fit as I understand with no adaptor plates etc?

Is there a better alternative gearbox/transmission worth putting in and how much extra work/ cost would be involved?

Does the driveshaft need modifying or shortening?

Who does the speedo recalibration for the sensor?

What is required from the car in terms of wiring and electronics?

The front crossmember, does it need changing to the XJS one or just the springs (and the a/r bar)?

Is the AJ16 engine much more complicated to fit, and similar questions for the gearbox?

Bearing in mind I'm in the uk and US exotica/ common engins and transmissions are not so common over here

Sorry for all the questions, I have looked and tried to collate the info myself but need help.!!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

I have no experience transplanting engines or transmissions, but if you are going to use a modern Jaguar engine, I would also use the Getrag transmission they came with.

The following users liked this post:
anjum (08-24-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:13 AM
Received 10,480 Likes on 6,920 Posts

I am assuming the XJC was a 6 cylinder???.

Down here there were many S3, and some S2 cars fitted with 3.6 AJ6 engines and transmissions, thanks to a supply of Hong Kong cars arriving. The S3 were simple enough as EFI fuel pump/tanks were already in place. The S2's were a test as V12 EFI tanks had to be fitted, and EFI pump and return lines etc installed, which at the end of the day was deemed hardly worth the work/$$ involved.

Answering your questions in order, as best I can.

The engine (AJ6) and the ZF trans is more than suitable.

Driveshaft mod, YES.

Speedo, S2 is cable (you new that), so a S3 electronic will be required I think.

Wiring will be made as required, with ALL the ECU's/plugs/sockets/etc coming from the donor car??, if you have that, otherwise fun will be had.

We did not change the crossmember/springs that I remember.

I reckon the AJ16 would be near impossible, as the engine management is Nippon Denso, and the electronics would be testy at best.

The 4ltr AJ6 has an electronic controlled transmission, as does the 4ltr AJ16, so the trans control ECU would also be needed. The 3.6 AJ6 has a cable controlled transmission, as does the 3.2 AJ16. NO IDEA about the 3.2 AJ6.

I would be staying with the XK 6 cylinder engine, rebuilt and balanced PROPERLY, and a BW66 (S3) trans behind it. That engine is so reliable when sorted properly from all the years of neglect, and near enough maintenence, they all suffer from.

If the car was a V12, that is different thinking again, and my thoughts/advice would be totally different. That would also depend on whether it was a carby V12, or a D Jetronic EFI engine.

Whichever way your thinking goes, it will NOT be a simple "plug and play" retro.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 08-19-2012 at 05:17 AM.
anjum (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:33 AM

Thanks Jose,
That's my initial thinking as well, but I'm trying to get some info on that as well eg need to modify front suspension and propshaft.

I'm also trying to find if there's any real advantage in later transmissions as the "modern" transmissions I'm considering are still 20years old and only 4 speed, modern ones are 5 or 6 speed.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Originally Posted by anjum
Thanks Jose,
That's my initial thinking as well, but I'm trying to get some info on that as well eg need to modify front suspension and propshaft. I'm also trying to find if there's any real advantage in later transmissions as the "modern" transmissions I'm considering are still 20years old and only 4 speed, modern ones are 5 or 6 speed.
the following company in the UK can help you decide: I've heard that some GM 4 and 5-speed automatic transmissions tend to lug the 4.2 XK engine, so there's some considerations to consider :-))

:: G. Whitehouse Autos Ltd ::

anjum (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I am assuming the XJC was a 6 cylinder???.

Down here there were many S3, and some S2 cars fitted with 3.6 AJ6 engines and transmissions, thanks to a supply of Hong Kong cars arriving. The S3 were simple enough as EFI fuel pump/tanks were already in place. The S2's were a test as V12 EFI tanks had to be fitted, and EFI pump and return lines etc installed, which at the end of the day was deemed hardly worth the work/$$ involved.

Answering your questions in order, as best I can.

The engine (AJ6) and the ZF trans is more than suitable.

Driveshaft mod, YES.

Speedo, S2 is cable (you new that), so a S3 electronic will be required I think.

Wiring will be made as required, with ALL the ECU's/plugs/sockets/etc coming from the donor car??, if you have that, otherwise fun will be had.

We did not change the crossmember/springs that I remember.

I reckon the AJ16 would be near impossible, as the engine management is Nippon Denso, and the electronics would be testy at best.

The 4ltr AJ6 has an electronic controlled transmission, as does the 4ltr AJ16, so the trans control ECU would also be needed. The 3.6 AJ6 has a cable controlled transmission, as does the 3.2 AJ16. NO IDEA about the 3.2 AJ6.

I would be staying with the XK 6 cylinder engine, rebuilt and balanced PROPERLY, and a BW66 (S3) trans behind it. That engine is so reliable when sorted properly from all the years of neglect, and near enough maintenence, they all suffer from.

If the car was a V12, that is different thinking again, and my thoughts/advice would be totally different. That would also depend on whether it was a carby V12, or a D Jetronic EFI engine.

Whichever way your thinking goes, it will NOT be a simple "plug and play" retro.
Thanks Grant,
It,s a xk6 at the moment but the engine would be rebuilt anyway as there,s no point restoring the bodywork and not having a reliable engine. Lucky it,s out already. If I was going to put it back in I would put the series iii head on iy and port it at least and may fuel inject it.
Just thinking that there be more benefits in the aj6 engine gearbox along with the associated electronics. Trouble is I have,nt found any really. Detailed info on it
Whichever way I go with the help of others I will write up a detailed thread from start to finish!
At the moment I,m collating as much info, data and peoples experience as possible, which I think is always agood place to start.
So please continue to feed me info.
Certainly don,t have the wealth of knowledge as the members on here

Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I would take the head off the original engine and look for cracks between the bores, (1-2, 2-3, and 4-5, 5-6). If there are any, then maybe a more modern engine/transmission will make sense, but if OK then keep what you've got. Replace all the long head zstuds. David Manners in the UK now has HT stainless sets available.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks, will do that first.

I would be worried about galvanic corrosion with stainless steel rods and ultimate tensile strength. But I suppose David Manners know what they're doing.

Am I overstressing about the block cracks? I don't really want to build an engine and have to do it again in 20k miles!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 10,480 Likes on 6,920 Posts

Head studs will be fine, either Jag units or some other spec. Getting the old ones out of the block will test you. I have always used Jag studs in both XK and V12 engines, due to simplicity of supply down here.

You make real sure the coolant specs are kept right up there, and NO galvanic (big word Grant) or other sinisters will cause you any grief. Best oil you can afford, change it regularly, and all other common sense things.

Not sure about the UK, but down here I have ALWAYS fitted the "stepped liners" to the S2 blocks, NO exceptions. OK, serious machining of the block is required by an engine shop that really understands what they are doing (and that is getting harder to find by the day), and then I also fully balance the engine.

Done properly, that engine will outlast you, and I have no idea how young you are, hahaha. Seriously an XK engine rebuilt and cared for, will see at least 250k miles.