XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Replacing washer tank - proximity to expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 09:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replacing washer tank - proximity to expansion tank

Hi all - I am in the process of replacing the windscreen washer tank on my XJ6 S11 with an aftermarket tank. It can fit in the original location next to the header tank - at least I think that was where the original was, mine had a previous replacement tank between the header tank and the radiator support panel. However, the new one is a fraction wider and would sit hard up against the expansion tank. Does the tank get hot enough to melt the plastic casing of the washer bottle? There is no room to put something in between the two as far as I can work out.

Cheers
powerd

Old 01-14-2022, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 608 Posts

My example may not be of any help, I think the Series 2 has the master cylinder reserviour is about where the washer tank is. In my application it turned out very well.

Dave

Old 01-15-2022, 12:08 AM

Actually, I decided to move it to the other side of the header tank - ie closer to the bulkhead. where there is plenty of space. However, it is now only a few inches from the exhaust manifold so tomorrow when I am in town I wil get some heat wrap and cover the tank so it gets a lttle protection, just to be safe.

Old 01-15-2022, 12:11 AM

Thanks Dave. On my Jag which is RHD there are various other bits there. Yours looks interesting though. Good luck with your build.
Cheers
powerd

Old 01-15-2022, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks powerd, just a tip, if you look on the forward left wing in the second picture you'll see the heat shield I made to protect the PCM harness from the exhaust manifold. Used a $3 "KEEP OUT" sign from Lowes hardware store. Thin aluminum and easy to form, yet still rigid enough. Painting it was a must.

Dave

Old 01-15-2022, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the tip Dave
I am off to the hardware shop and auto stores today so I will see what I can pick up. It all works well now save for a bit of tidying/securing of the tubing runs and aiming of the jets as the new motor is fairly powerful. reservoir is a bit small though. If I care to at a later date I could reuse the old larger bottle in the original location with my new motor remotely located. The hardest part of that would be replacing the cradle it sat in which was a bugger to remove due to access problems.

BTW, I also have a white S11 with an Australian Holden 308 V8 sitting outside in "Jaguar Repose". I am intending to do a rebuild on that one with the replacement tan interior, an LS1/6sp auto swap and a repaint. But I will have to finish the house I am building first, plus the XJS rebuild first - it needs some rust repairs, rebuild of the fuel system and partial rewire of the engine bay, a bit of suspension work and a repaint. OK, so I have gone a bit silly in retirement!

This Regency Red XJ6 is my beautiful regular drive Jag, very original but lots of money spent by the previous owner to get it almost perfect. I am only the third owner, it has all books and full history. Here is a pic of where I placed the

BTW, while my wipers work and park properly, they seem to have a terribly limited sweep. From other videos I have seen on Youtube this seems to be normal? Is there any way to modify the sweep range in the motor or a replacement motor which will provide a wider sweep? Any suggestions welcome.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like ambitious goals for your fleet of Jaguar's, is the Australian Holden like the American Chevrolet?

Dave

Old 01-18-2022, 04:54 AM

Hi Dave

Yes the Holden Commodore produced here is actually the Chevrolet SS which was built here and exported to the US. There was also a coupe version called the Monaro (means "High Plains in Aboriginal language and it a name of an area south of Canberra, the nation's capital. This was on a slightly shorter body pan and was sold in the US as the Pontiac GTO. However, by the time those models came around in the early 2000s, the Holden V8 was getting a bit long in the tooth (it was introduced late 1969 and was a local design, lighter and more efficient in 308ci form than the SBC, but also produced in 253ci form, which was apparently even more efficient but not as powerful or torquey) so it was replaced by the imported Chev LS1 in 5.7L form in 2000 and later the LS3.

Later Commodores also came with the HFV6 in 3.6L form which was built in Australia and then a 3.0l version which was developed here. GMH also was responsible for developing the 2.8l version which found its way into Saabs and Opel Insignias in Europe and elsewhere, including a high output turbo version.

The Monaro is sorely missed here and its value is appreciating well. It was a very good looking car, though most consider the version sent to the US to not be as good looking as the local version.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Declan

Last edited by powerd; 01-18-2022 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Declan, I've never known any of the information you've laid out so well. This is a terrible Segway, but I saw a documentary on Eric Bana's rally/road racing in Tasmania, I think. Was he in a Holden? Very stout car!

Dave

Old 01-18-2022, 03:24 PM

Hi Dave
Before we attract the wrath of the ModGods and some even more dedicated Jag fans than us for straying off piste, I will pm you if that's possible.
Cheers

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (01-18-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 jaguar
Declan, I've never known any of the information you've laid out so well. This is a terrible Segway, but I saw a documentary on Eric Bana's rally/road racing in Tasmania, I think. Was he in a Holden? Very stout car!

Dave
No that was an Australian Ford, but still a nice machine :-)

That was a good show, quite enjoyed watching it

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (04-04-2022)