XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

On The Road Again -- Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Why is the car called Nix out of interest ?

Looks like a very tidy old Jag. Now that it's back on the road again will you be posting more pics up ?

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Minor as to any issues on a shake down cruise. I quit using an ordinary screw driver on worm drive hose clamps. access and torque issues. A 3/8" socket and extension plus a rachet and one can get the torque needed to make a seal.

The pretest was a good investment, after a flunk!!. And, getting the ide mix right by using the machine beats "guess and hope" of the past. Plus assists in the balance of the two screws. Emmision best is a teeny bit rich of "idle stumble". The machine is the real way to balance clean. but stumble and die and driveability. no stumble and die.

In two years, a vacuum guage might help you do that. Or, just leave tem alone, it runs, it passed. As good as it gets.

Laptop on lap in the car, type and drive???? Perhaps for those that can touch type?
I lost that decades ago..... and, it was just barely, then. I use a mix now??? More than one or two fingers, but less than ten!!

Off to work I go.

Carl

LnrB (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,299 Likes on 5,422 Posts

Originally Posted by pnwrs2000
Why is the car called Nix out of interest?
Husband spent time in Germany while in the Army and one of his favorite things to say is Mox Nix when something doesn't matter. I've understood that to mean, "means nothing," rather like the Spanish, "Da Nada," "it's nothing."

The car is Black. When the sky is black (space) there is nothing. The car is as Black as Nothing.

So I named her Nix. It sounds so much better than Nada.
Looks like a very tidy old Jag. Now that it's back on the road again will you be posting more pics up ?
Thank you! Nix thanks you too. She likes such complements and notice.

More pictures will definitely be coming as our activity level increases. (That means I Must get into the habit of taking my camera everywhere.) The first is scheduled for Sunday, late lunch with friends. None of them drive anything so old as Nix, but not as cool either.

Carl:
Thank you. If you're not sure your car will pass the test, you can request a Pre-test (you only get one) and they are required by law to tell you why it failed. If you don't request a Pre-Test and it fails, they don't have to tell you Anything, just present you with a FAIL notice.

I was surprised when they failed her, given the results of the test conducted just before we took possession. I shouldn't have been though, it's just another of the lies, misdirection, misrepresentation and downright dishonesty inherent in that man! The first Winter I frequently went storming through the house shouting, "LIAR!! LIAR!!" having discovered something yet another pre existing problem he had glossed over or hidden.

He actually suggested we Bribe the smog tech for a clean rating but we refused. So he had his friend cook the numbers (or some other fudge factor) so it Would pass. Had it not passed, of course he couldn't legally sell it as advertised and he Lusted after that money!

I fully expected some surprises, there were simply too many changes that couldn't be tested beforehand to avoid all of them.

anjum was joking, Carl, I like to drive fast way too much to be looking at a screen. That's one reason I keep refusing the Garmin husband wants to get me. Besides. I think it's like backup cameras. It will make me lazy and forget how to read maps. Not to mention that Garmin LIES to you! For example, if I gave you our address, it wouldn't bring you here, but half a mile down the road. At least there isn't a cliff for it to send you over.
(';')

Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 PM
Tar
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Macht Nichts! I.e, "makes (amounts to) nothing". Exactly!

I thought maybe Nix was short for "phoenix", as in, she who rises again from the ashes! Or possibly from the NX on your license plate, though it seems that might just have been some fun with Photoshop.

But I did want to ask: you have a Series II, but with a Series III trunk and tail lights. Were they your choice, or did she come with them?

Best,
Andrew.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

What is in a name :

Yeah, it is a neat name. Arouses interest. Yes, I learned of Macht Nicht when in army service in Germany (52-55). We adopted it from the locals. BVery useful in army life!!!

But, oddly, my dear departed was a German fraulein. The term was unknown to her???

GM created a mid size compact and named it "NOVA". Oh, oh, not a seller south of the border. It means "doesn't go"!!!

SMOG: Synonym of UGH!

Elinor: NIX' prior owner may have monkeyed with the idle screws after they were set for smog pass. I think I'll just go for it. I've not monkeyed with the engine since it passed two years ago, sans monkeying. Mebbe a dose of Techron and some Chevron gas with Techron. And a blast in 3rd on the freeway just before the test.

The test results on a fail can be interpreted as to why? If I really get touchy, I can whip out my scanner and get a clue from it's OBD I system. No exhaust analysis, but interesting.

And, YAHOO, the "check engine" light works. a large clue, but not altogether dispositive.

Water heater repair in progress, interrupted by daughter with lunch. Didn't resume.
Today is another day.

Carl

Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,299 Likes on 5,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Tar
Macht Nichts! I.e, "makes (amounts to) nothing". Exactly!

I thought maybe Nix was short for "phoenix", as in, she who rises again from the ashes!
Thank you, Andrew,
To my knowledge she's never had a fire. There's certainly no evidence of one, that would be Clarke's car, but it's already named Fireball.
Or possibly from the NX on your license plate, though it seems that might just have been some fun with Photoshop.
I ordered that plate special actually, the NX is real, All the Zeros aren't, but there are enough to string 5 of them together by pixel manipulation.
But I did want to ask: you have a Series II, but with a Series III trunk and tail lights. Were they your choice, or did she come with them?
Best,
Andrew.
I knew so little about Jaguars when I first saw this car, I didn't even know about the series designations or tail lights, or trunk latches, or grill shapes, or seat patterns or door mirrors. All I saw was a Beautiful BLACK car with 4 doors and it was Love at first sight! (Husband asked, "Do you like it?" and the rest, as they say, is history.)

All those things are indeed Series 3, but mostly fit pretty well on the Series 2 body. The trunk latch and door mirrors are a little loose because the body curves are different between the series (although they all work as designed), but unless you touch them you wouldn't know.

Originally Posted by JagCad
[...]

Elinor: NIX' prior owner may have monkeyed with the idle screws after they were set for smog pass. I think I'll just go for it. I've not monkeyed with the engine since it passed two years ago, sans monkeying. Mebbe a dose of Techron and some Chevron gas with Techron. And a blast in 3rd on the freeway just before the test.

The test results on a fail can be interpreted as to why? If I really get touchy, I can whip out my scanner and get a clue from it's OBD I system. No exhaust analysis, but interesting.

And, YAHOO, the "check engine" light works. a large clue, but not altogether dispositive.[...]
Carl
No Check Engine light on Nix, Carl. When Wart was done, the smog tech told him that if the Check Engine light wasn't on, it was an automatic PASS! So Wart is OK for another 2 years!
(';')

Old 09-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Understand. NIX is a simpler Jaguar/ GM swap. Good in a lot of ways.

But, what counts is that NIX passed and Elinor and hubby are elated and enjoying.

As good as it gets.

Truism: Why would anyone with the check engine light on expect to pass a SMOG test???

Actually, not quite!!! Daughter's well traveled VW Passat wagon flashed it's "check engine light". Bad, SMOG test due!!! Then, she called me. "The light is off". Me, "go to the nearest SMOG shop now, go no further". She did, it passed!!!
It's sophisticated engine management detected that one Cat wasn't cleaning as much as it should. Seems that is a transitory thing????

Carl .

LnrB (09-18-2015)