XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolling Stock: Safety At Speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Neat. I hope I remember that if I need it. So, Acetone may be the solvent used to make the product.

Probably illegal in California !!!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

I have been advised privately by someone who should know that the race should spin *Very* slowly on the spindle because if it doesn't it brinells from road shocks. The spindle grove problem may be due to soft steel in the 70s.

The inner race should be installed with a light coating of bearing grease between the spindle and the bearing race. So, there will be no Lock-tite there. I know the outer race is pressed into the hub.

Carl, Home Depot and Lowe's both have acetone in gallon cans. Look in the paint isle in the solvent shelves.
(';')

Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Finally after several days of stressing how I was going to suspend the engine in order to drop the front suspension ( it's being Levitated) parts started coming off today! Everything that comes off requires 4 other things to come off first and they must come off in the correct order so there was a lot of backing up.

But the bushings I can reach don't look all that bad! They're a Tiny bit checked but soft enough I can poke a fingernail in and they give way, but not to the point of being gushy.

The Rack however, is a Complete Mess! It's oily Everywhere; fittings, ends, joints. It will Definitely go to the recyclers. We got another one off the SIII we stripped in the Fall of 2013; husband looked at it today after seeing the one on the car and announced, "That rack is Going to be changed!"

I think I can get to the back side of the pump OK to get the high pressure fitting off. The low side hose is being held on with a fuel line hose clamp. None of those fittings are leaking either, only the ones on the rack itself.

I suppose I should get new hoses too, I can have those made up by the Hydraulic shop in town. All I need to do is take my old hoses and they replicate them.

About the pictures as things are on the car at this moment:
First, outer left side front bushings
Second, inner left side front bushings
Third, outer right side front bushings
Fourth, inner right side front bushings
Fifth picture,left end of the rack
Sixth, Very leaky connections
Seventh, right end of rack
(';')

Attached Thumbnails Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-ftouterleft.jpg   Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-ftinnerleft.jpg   Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-ftoutterright.jpg   Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-ftinnerright.jpg   Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-rack-left.jpg  

Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-leakyrackpipes.jpg   Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-rackright.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Good progress going on.

You may need the lower/ bottom series 3 steering column to fit the series 3 rack in.
I'm fairly certain I will need a series 3 lower column for mine when I try to fit my XJS rack.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, anjum,
We have the Whole Entire steering mechanism from that SIII so that shouldn't be a problem.

I also noticed when I looked at those pictures, the camera sees what the eye can't sometimes, and the sway bar bushings are both cracked on the bottom, which I couldn't see when I was under the car. No matter, I have new ones under my desk.
(';')

Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

The camera's eye. Very useful. In my former career, there were circumstances that I could not get my head and eyes in to see things. Or, just not willing to do so. Some creepy crawl spaces, for example. Just put the camera in and make a series of pictures.

Examine at my leisure on the computer monitor and draw conclusions.

Shared with my clients, of course, they were usually impressed. Except one, he just didn't get the value of photos!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (02-22-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default Major Snag!

The rack is about 1/4 inch from dropping out on the floor but seems to be stuck on something. Frustration Reigns!

The Book says, "Remove the steering column, upper and lower parts..." first.

I remember what that required last time, while we were stripping the junker; basically take the whole entire dash/instrument panel apart and pull firmly from both ends at once. I *Really* don't want to do that.

Is there some easier way to drop the rack without taking the inside of the car apart again? Because it looks like that has to be done even to change suspension bushings!

And what's this about a Rack Alignment Tool???
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 02-23-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Is there some easier way to drop the rack without taking the inside of the car apart again? Because it looks like that has to be done even to change suspension bushings!

(';')
No one knows, eh?
OK, forging on........
(';')

Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Just guessing, as I've not tried that one.

1. The rack is hung up on the sway bar.

2. The upper steering column must come out when replacing an early rack with a later one. Early to early, late to late. A mix is a mismatch.

3. Alignment of the rack is a way of saying that it must be "centered" . I've a vague recollection of removing a nipple and using a pin to find an indentation to align with the hole the nipple was removed from. To assure equal right and left movement

Off to the garage. If it isn't a h.. of a lot warmer than yesterday, back in I come!!!

Carl

Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

I am guessing as well.
The following link says that the lower column needs to be replaced.
RackPinionHeads

It probably doesn't make much difference if you've got the entire column but for me it would help as a lower column is going to be cheaper.

What's the difference in the fitting of the newer column to the newer lower column and the old lower column please?

Can't remember if anyone said to (or you've got them already) use the polyurethane bushes for the rack.

There's also a set of alloy ones available for track use only. They would make road driving quite unpleasant.

Last edited by anjum; 02-24-2015 at 06:33 PM.
LnrB (02-24-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member

Carl: Thank you. Husband found instructions somewhere for adjusting the rack position. I haven't read them yet, I have too many other irons in the fire.

anjum: Thank you for the link! *Very* interesting material!

The (old) lower column is too short if one changes to a newer rack (SII rack to SIII rack) like we're doing. Everything I've read so far indicates one only needs to have the longer lower column (which is available at Everyday XJ for example and probably other places too) and they bolt right up.

In summery; SIII rack requires SIII lower column. Connections to the upper column and Both versions of lower column appear to be identical. I'll certainly know when I try to connect them.

Yes, I have polyurethane rack bushings right here under my desk.
(';')

anjum (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB

(';')
Here is what I can find, photos may not be so good but MIL is asleep in the room with the scanner.

Don't know if any of this is helpful

Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-dsc_1558.jpgRolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-dsc_1559.jpgRolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-dsc_1560.jpgRolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-dsc_1561.jpgRolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-dsc_1562.jpgRolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-dsc_1563.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
anjum (02-25-2015), LnrB (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Clarke!
Yes, that's Very helpful. I was late this morning or I would have told you when I first saw this.
(';')

Old 02-25-2015, 11:23 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

If you need more pics let me know specifically what you need. I might have it.

LnrB (02-27-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Default Front Suspension On The Table

The whole entire front cross member is out of the car and on a table in the shop waiting for me to clean it up. Whatta Mess!!

Of course I've never seen such a component in a Driver that wasn't encrusted with a few decades' accumulation of oil, grease and dirt.

All bushings will be changed, although most of them seem to be in pretty good condition in spite of their age. If it wasn't for the leaking rack (our neighbor calls that Automatic Rust Protection) the whole thing could have been left alone as even the rack bushings aren't that bad and I had get a Long bar to pry the rack off the cross member!

Oh Well, it's another thing that probably won't have to be done again for a Very long time.

The differences between the old and new racks are clear. The old tower is 5-1/2 inches between the Green arrows while the new one is only 4 inches between the Red arrows as seen in the picture below. This explains the need for a different lower shaft. Also the fittings are on opposite sides of the tower. That might be Really interesting to adapt.

One thing about the current rack I've not mentioned, every so often the steering would just sort of stop momentarily, like there was something stuck for a bit. It startled me the first time it happened so I'll be glad to have another, newer by 10 years, more modern rack.

You might also notice some emergency rations in the background. Brain Food!
(';')

Attached Thumbnails Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-ftsuspension.jpg   Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-crossmember.jpg   Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-cross-member.jpg   Rolling Stock:  Safety At Speed-racktowerdifferences-red-4%3Bgreen-5.5.jpg  
Old 03-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Great work. Lottsa muscle power to get that monster outta ther and up to a much better working height.

Yeah, auto rust protection is found in lottsa places!!

Oven cleaner is good for the baked hard stuff. Used it on the top of my cross member when the DOHC was removed. But, not where you want the paint to remain. I just resprayed mine in Rustoleum black. Rattle can was fine.

Carl

Old 03-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl,
Our big beefy neighbor helped wrestle it out from under the car where the engine hoist took over and I winched it up onto that table.

Then I soaked it with Oil Eater, (which is Great Stuff!! (Oil Eater | Industrial & Household Cleaners, Absorbents, & Cleaning Equipment)) and the same neighbor then brought over his cute little pressure washer, did a job on it and it's a LOT cleaner now.

Inventory reveals only the travel limiter bumpers are missing from this mass of parts under my desk. Husband will get those ordered right away.
(';')

Old 03-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Default Emergency Room

Husband stuck his fingers where they didn't belong, and in her unconscious state, Nix smashed one of them. Nothing is done by halves around here.

He hid the damage from me for 3 days while his injury continued to swell and turn color, he thinking, "It'll get better on its own," but it only got worse.

Yesterday evening, after he started dripping blood on the floor and I noticed blood on his jeans he Finally showed it to me and I Insisted he should go to the ER. No, he only wanted to use my blow dryer to dry up the blood a bit. I glared daggers at him. He finally agreed to see a Doc-in-the-box (walk-in clinic), of which there are none close by so I drove him into town at 7pm while he kept his finger wrapped in a paper shop towel which was swiftly becoming saturated.

The reception nurse asked what was the problem, so which he stuck his finger out (not THAT finger), she winced and gave him the usual clipboard and said to fill in the blanks and to sort of keep that finger hidden so as not to gross out the other patients.

Before he was even half finished with the clipboard the doctor on call came out into the waiting room to check him out (he hadn't come out for any others there), took one look and said to me, "We'll be right back," and they disappeared through a closed door.

No more than TWO MINUTES LATER we were headed over to the ER where he was vigorously scolded for waiting so long as now he would probably lose that nail permanently not to mention most of the skin around it because it was already turning black.

4 hours after leaving here we got to the 24-hour pharmacy, prescription in hand, and had to wait another hour to have it filled followed by a half hour drive home, drugs on board, finger properly cleaned and bandaged.

Checking on this and his other medical issues will take up this Whole Entire Week!!
(';')

Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Wow!!

Interesting as to the "Doc in the box" concept. Not enough for ER substitute.

Almost major injury does need ER facility and promptly.

Twas far from a mere blood blister, huh?

Exactly what mates do for each other. Kudos.

My best to hubby, listen to wifey, and whatever the result, deal with it.

I am sure he will, with help.

DIY goes only so far!!!!

Carl

Old 03-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl,
No, not just a blood blister! When he Finally showed me, it was a Grotesquely swollen, mangled, bloody stump turning black on the top half to the first knuckle.

He was Sternly Chastised by more than one of the staff for waiting so long.

In this area, Immediate Care and such are more like "take two aspirin and call your doctor in the morning" places, or get a splinter out of a finger, stuff like that. Anything moderately serious is referred out to ER ASAP.

I'm not sure about the kudos, it is, after all, in my best interest to keep him as functional as possible for as long as possible; or at least until the car is finished.
(';')

Quick Reply: Rolling Stock: Safety At Speed