XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

S1 Coil Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 09:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default S1 Coil Question

Working with a 1972 4.2 XJ6 that I've had for a number of years and am just getting down to fiddling with. It didn't have spark so I followed the coil wire to the coil and much to my surprise I found 2 coils. One was affixed with what I assume is the original bracket and wasn't connected to anything. The other was hanging freely from the coil wire with no other leads attached. I see two connections, one has two white cloth insulated wires (I'm assuming positive) and the other has one black/white wire (I'm assuming ground). I also see the resistor is connected with the same style wires as the positive wires so I'm also assuming that it is wired correctly. I have a Haynes manual but it's rather unhelpful in this instance.

The point wherein my question lies regards a condenser that was strapped to the coil that was hanging from the coil wire. It has a connector but no obvious connectionless it is secured under one of the nuts, but it was not when I found it and both nuts are tight. I found a video
dealing with ignition in a much later sIII and it is wired in with the ignition amplifier. My thought is to connect what I believe to be positive to the positive side of the coil and same for negative, however I admit I do not fully understand how the condenser comes into play, or if it even does. Seems a bit hacked, being that there are two coils and all, so I wouldn't be surprised if the condenser remained from some previous use of the coil.

As excited as I am to see if it will spark so I can move on to fuel, I figure t is best to make sure that the resistor is not needed. As far as I understand they collect energy that has momentum, or something to that effect; but I admit I have no idea how that practically plays out. If anyone has an image of what all connections come off of the coil in their sI that'd be great.

On a side note I tested both coils and the affixed one read about 1.8-2.1 ohms and the dangling one 2.2-2.7 ohms. I've never had to deal with coil issues in any of my other automotive exploits, but as far as I understand 3 ohms is the high end of what a coil will read, so am I correct in finding that the dangling coil is in useable condition, at least to get it running?

Thanks all in advance.

-two connections
-dangling coil, with condenser

Old 01-06-2021, 12:24 AM
Received 260 Likes on 120 Posts

I can get back later as to coil connections (they are pretty straight forward, the ignition ON lead goes to the + via the ballast resistor), the - lead to the distributor)
But the condenser has no purpose except to reduce radio static from the ignition system. You can scrap it if you radio works well without it.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:40 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I can’t figure out why this was done, but it’s a total bodge, and could anger the electrical fire gods.
I highly recommend putting it back to factory spec.
‘Get a new coil, condenser and ballast resistor, and install per factory schematic. While you’re at it, consider new distributor cap and rotor.