XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

S2 V12 Diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S2 V12 Diff

Hi everyone,I'm all very new here and hoping for some advice. I'm about to embark on an overhaul of the diff bearings in my 1974 Double Six Vanden Plas Daimler. Now I say its a 74 by the fact of it being carburetted and understand they went to fuel injection in 75, but that's all I have on it, bar knowing the Vin no.. Okay, so looking online at parts catalogs ,I'm aware that its a Salisbury/GKN Powr Lok diff. Now from England[SC Motors],they show two different output shafts,one denoted by having a S suffix next to the stamped diff number on the housing to suit, and the other without the S stamped. Lucky me,I have neither. Over in America [Moss Motors] their catalog, only distinguish the two by being diff A and diff B.[fat lot of help that is]. Here's hoping someone can help. Below is the numbers stamped to the diff housing along with the diff ratio of 43/13. Sorry I couldn't make it any smaller,Hey! I'm new.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,964 Likes on 7,204 Posts

I only glanced at this but perhaps it will help? it mentions an "X" identifier that your diff seems to have

Cheers
DD

Old 12-08-2021, 09:48 PM

Thanks so much Doug,for your time and effort in posting this informative parts guide. Without pushing my luck,is there anywhere on the net that i can find whose catalog this came from. Cheers again. Davo from Downunder.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,964 Likes on 7,204 Posts

That's from an actual (but old) Jaguar parts catalog

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...le-information

I was thinking that you could get the actual Jaguar part numbers and then Google them and/or the numbers might be useful to a Jaguar parts vendor.

Pretty hard to read though

Cheers
DD

Old 12-09-2021, 03:56 AM

Thanks again Doug,I'll see what i can source. In saying that it definitely appears to be the later design with the crushable washer on the output shafts,as opposed to the early only shimmed version. The diagram even shows my crown and pinion size. Cheers again,Davo.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:58 AM
Received 10,548 Likes on 6,966 Posts

Dave,

You are new, welcome.

I will add you to the Sth Aust roll call later today.

My scribes, I have thousands, state the following:

Output shaft shaft bearings etc Salisbury, 6 and V12.

Cones L68149, same as the front wheel bearing Inner Cone.
Cups L68111, Unique for this application.
You will need 4 of each per diff.
Go for Timken via CBC or Gardner Bearings.

Seals, collapsible spacers, O/rings and gaskets.
Genuine only, and I use JagDaim in Melbourne (Doug).
I have Part numbers in the shed, so later today is the go.

Replacement is simple enough, BUT time consuming, coz if you dont pay attention, that spacer collapses too far, so another spacer, and start again. It gets easier as you do more, ha.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 12-09-2021 at 08:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Doug (12-10-2021), Greg in France (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 04:28 PM

Thanks so much Grant,Adelaide boy,both of us,sweet.Yep, was not going to settle for any other bearings,but Timken. I have dealt with JagDam previously with great success for other suspension parts,mind you, my only gripe with their Ebay site, they don't really explain what models their advertised parts suit,so a bit of navigation and cross referencing is required,never the less,good to be able to get parts here in Aus.And yes,i'm under the impression the collapsible spacers are a bit tricky,i believe if you just start them off with a bearing press, and then carry on with the nut,you will end up with the correct preload achieved,with less stress on the nut.Have yet to be able to verify this,but i'm sure going to find out sooner or later. Thanks so much for your input Grant,great to receive valuable info,considering I have been flying solo for a long time. Cheers Davo. P.S.[hanging for those part numbers.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:33 AM
Received 10,548 Likes on 6,966 Posts

OK, OK, given up on the X Type today.

O/ring, shaft housing to diff = RTC1340
Collapsible spacer = RTC1348
Seal = JLM1264
Lock tab = NLA, and I have always used the old one, they are a sturdy bit of British Steel.
No gasket number, so OLD age strikes once more, BUT, I ALWAYS smear that assembly with RTV before sliding it home. An oil leak there later really sucks.

Never used the press method. I use a 30Inch shifter, 2 stubbies (have to keep the fluids up), and take the slack and slow as you go, feeling the preload as it takes up, SIMPLE.
I clamp the stub in the vice, and just do it, and after oops, forgot how many, byt a LOT, it just happens. The 1st pair, my S2 Daimler, took ages, that fear factor really kicked it, then the fluids calmed the nerves.

ALSO

Grease those bearings, just like a wheel bearing but NOT so much grease. Its an OLD habit of mine. I know the diff oil is "right there", but a dry run bearing, even for a few minutes is equally going to suck.

AND

Please slip into the New Members Area and do an Intro. GGG (The Boss) stays calm that way, HAHA.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:01 PM

Thanks Grant.This is fantastic info,and I'm still learning how to navigate around this site,but I.ll get there. Cheers mate.ere.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 06:03 PM

Really pays to check the spell check before posting.DOH.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (12-10-2021)