XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

S3 87 Brake pads and Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018 | 03:47 PM
|
Default S3 87 Brake pads and Calipers

Hello all!!

Hope everyone is well.

I would like to know what the best brake pads are for my Xj6 and best place to purchase?
And also where i can get some new calipers for the front? Or will they have to be refurbished???

Thank you all for the info in advance!

Chris

Old 11-19-2018 | 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hello, Chris,
I got my calipers from Rock Auto and O'Reilly.
Calipers can be refurbushed/rebuilt, in fact, I suspect most on the market today are not new but rebuilds as O'Reilly's were (hence the core charge). This is OK as long as the Rebuilder did a good job. One of my front calipers was defective out of the box so to speak, but I Always buy Lifetime Warranty stuff where possible, so it was replaced at no charge. I prefer new when I can get it but sometimes that's just not possible when dealing with a 40 year old car.

However, Nix carries parts from eBay believe it or not, Parts Geek, Welsh, XK Unlimited, O'Reilly, Cragar, Sears, EverythingXJ, SNG Barret and various other places to which Google guided us. Basically, parts are where you find them.

If you know what you need, just plug in the basic description to your search engine and see what comes up. I always found the hunt was half the fun but I understand not everyone feels the same about that.

I wish you success.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
chrisleg (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018 | 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chrisleg
Hello all!!

Hope everyone is well.

I would like to know what the best brake pads are for my Xj6 and best place to purchase?
I dunno about 'best' but, after trying several brands I was happiest with Raybestos pads, PGD9M (rear) and PGD135M (front) on two Series IIIs and one XJS.

No vices or negatives, quiet, very little dust

And also where i can get some new calipers for the front? Or will they have to be refurbished???

Already well answered. I'll just add that it might be better to buy locally to avoid excessive shipping charges when you return the cores. These caliper are quite heavy.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 11-19-2018 at 08:49 PM.
chrisleg (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018 | 08:21 PM
|

Originally Posted by Doug
I dunno about 'best' but, after trying several brands I was happiest with Raybestos pads, PGD9M (rear) and PCD135M (front) on two Series IIIs and one XJS.

Already well answered. I'll just add that it might be better to buy locally to avoid excessive shipping charges when you return the cores. These caliper are quite heavy.

Cheers
DD
Thanks for the info Doug.

I will have a scout around on the interweb and see what pops up.
Chris

Old 11-19-2018 | 08:23 PM
|

Originally Posted by LnrB
Hello, Chris,
I got my calipers from Rock Auto and O'Reilly.
Calipers can be refurbushed/rebuilt, in fact, I suspect most on the market today are not new but rebuilds as O'Reilly's were (hence the core charge). This is OK as long as the Rebuilder did a good job. One of my front calipers was defective out of the box so to speak, but I Always buy Lifetime Warranty stuff where possible, so it was replaced at no charge. I prefer new when I can get it but sometimes that's just not possible when dealing with a 40 year old car.

However, Nix carries parts from eBay believe it or not, Parts Geek, Welsh, XK Unlimited, O'Reilly, Cragar, Sears, EverythingXJ, SNG Barret and various other places to which Google guided us. Basically, parts are where you find them.

If you know what you need, just plug in the basic description to your search engine and see what comes up. I always found the hunt was half the fun but I understand not everyone feels the same about that.

I wish you success.
(';')
Thanks again LnrB

I figured as such. I couldn't find any NEW ones on a quick search on the the web. Refurbs came up a lot though but I wasn't sure if this was normal.

How would one know when its time to change them? Purely aesthetics is probably not a good measure.

Thanks!

LnrB (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018 | 08:28 PM
|

I dunno about 'best' but, after trying several brands I was happiest with Raybestos pads, PGD9M (rear) and PCD135M (front) on two Series IIIs and one XJS.

Cheers
DD
Doug

Did you mean PGD? and not PCD? I cant find anything under PCD but found this under PGD

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-19-2018 | 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry.

Glad you caught the flub

Yes, "PGD".

I corrected the posting

Cheers
DD

chrisleg (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018 | 11:08 PM
|

Sorry.

Glad you caught the flub

Yes, "PGD".

I corrected the posting

Cheers
DD
I tend to fat finger a lot when writing on my phone. Hate phones hahah

Old 11-20-2018 | 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chrisleg
...How would one know when its time to change them? Purely aesthetics is probably not a good measure.

Thanks!
If a caliper is leaking it's time to change it. You can tell that if it's wet with brake fluid, or, if you're suspicious because you're losing fluid. (Losing fluid with no visible drips may indicate a faulty master cylinder)

If you know what you're doing you can change pistons and seals yourself, but I don't know anyone who was successful doing that. However, that does Not mean it's beyond everyone.

If you're only worried about appearance, just remove, clean and reinstall. It's not a hard job.
(';')

Old 11-22-2018 | 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

I found my front pads locally. Kragen (?) or O'Reilly ? I chose the Pro grade.
A bit more than just slap 'em needed. Crusty ways to clean and added a tab of lube to assure smooth travel on the pins. they were crtusty as well. I cleaned them up with a wire brush. So far, just fine . No evidence of leaks and the rotors were not grooved.

I found calipers and pads at Rockauto. Pricing and no core needed made that an easy.
Good price as well. I farmed out the installation.

Yeah, new anything is rare for any car of this age...
So far, just fine