XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

S3 sunroof opening welt/windlace-headliner question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 611 Posts
Default S3 sunroof opening welt/windlace-headliner question

Half an hour on google has netted me nothing. Installing re-covered headliner board and need to confirm that it is glued to the sunroof opening. There is evidence of the old headliner material around the opening and without that the headboard is sagging. I don't see any other way to hold it up around the opening.

My trim-piece/windlace/pinch weld welt that trims the edge of the sunroof aperture needs to be replaced, but I cannot find that piece offered with all of my Jaguar parts vendors. Does anyone have a name of a retailer for this item?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Dave

Old 05-21-2020, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,270 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Have you tried BAS in Vancouver?

Old 05-21-2020, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip Gregory, I just sent them an email.

Dave

Old 05-21-2020, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Yes, it is glued to the sunroof. Here's how I did the interior side of my sunroof headliner:
You do it before the board is fitted to the inside of the roof.

to strengthen the sunroof fabric I first glued a type of reinforcing or backing fabric, its name I can't recall, it is used in upholstery. It is sold at Walmart or any fabrics house like Joanns fabrics.

The edging is used in counter displays and in some appliances. It is sold at www.JCWhitney.com

the edging is covered in headliner fabric too.

the gluing is done starting at one of the side edges and clamped overnight
the next day you stretch the material tightly to the opposite side and clamp it tight overnight but not removing the clamping of the first side. It has to be tightly stretched.

leave it stretched, clamped, for a few days. Work with something else.

Then remove all clamps and repeat with the headliner fabric. One side first, then the other side.

Here's a picture of the reinforcing fabric..It is also used in the old world and Asia for potato and rice sacks. In the USA it is used in furniture upholstery.

The following users liked this post:
Coventrywood (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jose, that looks like burlap material. If I'm following right, you glued the burlap to the headboard first (the whole board?) and then glued the headlining to the burlap? I'm afraid that train has already left the station, my new headliner material is already in-place. What kind of glue did you use to make the attachment to the metal of the sunroof aperture? I'll have to work with what I've got now.

Dave

Old 05-21-2020, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Dave, yes Burlap it is, thanks.

no, I applied burlap ONLY to the sunroof section, the part that moves, to reinforce the headliner fabric.

I used 3M Headliner spray adhesive sold at AutoZone etc. for the board and headliner fabric.

BUT on the edges that fold over the sunroof assembly, I used Contact Cement which is stronger. Little bottles of that contact cement are sold at Lowe's and ACE..

Old 05-21-2020, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, I get it. That makes the finished covering lay smooth on the sliding panel of the sunroof, like the rest of the headliner does. Mine will have that "industrial" look because I glues the new cloth directly to the underside of the panel. I'll live with it, I very seldom look up at the roof when I'm driving. Do you think contact cement would be good to glue the headboard to the sunroof opening?

Dave

Old 05-21-2020, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

do you mean to glue the FABRIC to the sunroof panel?

no, it will melt the foam backing attached to the underside of the headliner fabric. For gluing the headliner fabric you need to use the 3M Headlining spray adhesive. It is not as destructive or "nocive" as contact cement is.

Joanns Fabrics sells headliner fabric in many colors, very similar material to the fabric used in Jags.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

I did use the 3M headliner adhesive to glue the headliner fabric to the headliner board and the underside of the sunroof sliding panel. I asking for thoughts on what people may have used to glue the aperture of the headliner board to the aperture on the passenger side of the sliding panel support frame-work. I have some very strong 3M contact cement that I use when I put Formica on a counter-top. Tougher than well done moose meat.

Dave

Old 05-22-2020, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member

ohhh I get it now.

no, the board is not glued to the roof,
it is held flush in place around the aperture by the push-on edging. So the edges of the fabric at the board's aperture need to be folded under the board so the edging doesn't push it off the board when you press the edging to the board edge and to the.sunroof assembly edges.

if you need good used edging, contact David at Everyday XJ, surely he has it.

I guess you CAN glue it if you have no other remedy. Trouble is if you need to redo the headlining in the future, you might damage the board trying to separate it. Although since you know how you fixed it, you can slice through the bond with a sharp filet knife.

yes that contact cement for Formica is strong. Best stuff around. Expensive too.

Last edited by Jose; 05-22-2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jose, I had forgotten about David at Everyday XJ. I'll drop him an email.

Dave

Jose (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The welt you’re looking for is Furflex. I bought some last year for my 85 XJ6. I can check my records next week and let you know where I got it.
Cheers, Mike

Old 05-22-2020, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mike Shockley
The welt you’re looking for is Furflex. I bought some last year for my 85 XJ6. I can check my records next week and let you know where I got it.
Cheers, Mike
Do you mean the doors furflex? it isn't the same, it fits the same way as furflex, but it does not have the fabric or the rubber seal extension as furflex.

It is called Edging.
I will post a picture tomorrow of a piece that I have.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

That would be great Mike, I am still not having much luck finding it. Furflex……the name fits.

Have a good holiday,

Dave

Old 05-22-2020, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Jose, maybe that's what I need is a picture. I might be steering everyone in the wrong direction. I'll attach a picture of my old one with this post. Edging in the first picture is what I'm looking for.

Dave

Old 05-23-2020, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Dave,
exactly, the edging around the sunroof interior opening is a rubberized extrusion.
Comes in different colors. A "finishing edger" if you will

here are pictures of a black one. The last picture is the side profile of the edging. It is not furflex. Furflex is what goes on the 4 door openings.

Last edited by Jose; 05-23-2020 at 06:54 AM.
anjum (05-25-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correctly, the furflex for the doors included 2 types - the edging for the b pillar was a plain channel that is the same as the edging around the sunroof.
Good luck!
MIKe

Old 05-23-2020, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

here's how mine looks with the edging covered in headliner fabric.

Very easy to do, I just removed the old material, (which was not glued to the edging), cut a new strip using the old fabric measurement, and skinned the backing foam off the new material, then you tuck it inside the edging using a putty knife.

anjum (05-25-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

here's the two types, Furflex on the bottom, Edging on top.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

You did a very nice job of covering your edging with headliner material, that may the answer to all my questions. My original edging is in good shape, just a little dirty. I think I will clean a section with mild soap and water and see how that does. Just covering with H/L material would be even easier and look better. However, my edging looks different than the ones you've shown in all your pics. Mike Shockley had it right, the sunroof edging is the same as the B-pillar edging. I would still like to have a source for the correct edging even if I don't need it, "the more you know....".

Your headliner and edging meet beautifully Jose, tell me again what is holding the headliner board against the sunroof under-panel. The edging material is not built to accept the thickness of the H/L board and the edge of the sunroof under-panel. H/L aperture is slightly larger than the opening in the aperture of the sunroof, about enough for the edging to fill in the gap, but not to slide over the H/L board and hold it up. I don't see any other way than gluing the H/L board to the under-panel.

I have thrashed this topic to death, at the expense of all you kind folks who have offered help, I really appreciate that.

Dave

Quick Reply: S3 sunroof opening welt/windlace-headliner question