XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

S3 Wiper Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 608 Posts
Default S3 Wiper Upgrade

After reading several posts in this Forum about poor windscreen wiper performance, Jose sent me diagrams and instructions from SKJagtech on how to do it. This is a very general comment because for me, the documents are not intuitive or clear when it comes to the color codes used in the instructions, those used in the diagrams and what is in my car. That being said, I think I see the path now and am going to bravely march on.

I've included a couple of pictures of todays work. The grounds and hots are just "roughed in", of course, and all the wires will be wrapped in the same kind of loom I'm using throughout the engine bay. I also won't give daily blow-by-blows until I know something I did actually works. That will save me a lot of embarrassment.

Dave

Old 05-04-2020, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe I should go ahead and add those pictures.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Doug (05-04-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Dave,
I am looking for another set of instructions with pictures, it exists.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Just a clarification to all of you who may be following this thread. In no way are any of my comments on the instructions of this modification a reflection on Jose. On the contrary, I appreciate that he forwarded them to me and in the end, it will all be good. I just wanted to make that clear because my posts may have implied that Jose was somehow the purveyor of bad information-not so. It is almost certainly my fuzziness on Jaguar wipers and controls.

Dave

Jose (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Dave the question I have is:

the diagrams show relays but it only says 20 amp relays, not whether they have 4 or 5 contacts. I don't know if it matters or if 5 contacts are needed.

have you been able to find out ?

Old 05-05-2020, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

The text describing the mod mentions 5-pin relays with the common 30-85-86-87-87A pin configuration.

The illustration is a little confusing. Relays #2 and #3 are shown as the common five pin type but relay #1 looks like a double relay. I'll have to take a better look later.

Cheers
DD

Jose (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

IT WORKS!!!!!, but don't ask me why. There are problems with both the narrative and the diagrams. If you throw away the diagrams, you will have wipers on steroids, but you will also have a couple of extra wire that you went to the trouble to add that were not necessary. I'll re-cut the splice tomorrow and remove them. The diagram looks official, but closer inspection brings "can't get there from here" with knowledge.

Anyway, I would give this mod a 3.5 for difficulty and a 7 for time consumption. Making the relay rack was relatively easy once I decided what I wanted. ………..have to get back to you guys, dinner at the neighbors calls.

One picture.

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by LT1 jaguar:
anjum (05-06-2020), Mkii250 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, I'm back. What I think I'll do is go through the written instruction that Jose posted because that's primarily what I used.

- The written instructions are from SKJagtech.co.uk and I assumed the diagram is too. It starts by saying that all relays are going to be 5-pin 20amp units. The first confusing statement was "bulkhead connector is 8-pin plug...….under the wiper grille". I don't have any bulkhead connectors under my wiper grille. I do have a through connector beside the battery, right hand side.

- For this mod I used 14ga wire for all added pieces. I used crimp splices with heat shrink and checked each wire for continuity and resistance. I believe you could use 16ga wire to piece-out the three wires that are cut in the pigtail to the motor. 14ga for the +12 and grounds.

-Before I started I hooked up the wiper motor and tested it for function, no problems. Next, the instructions.

- The first three instructions were a real roadblock to me for quite awhile. A plug connector that drops into the bulkhead connector??? I decided the connector beside the battery had to be the one they were talking about.
- There are (4) relays in this mod, not three.
- There are no yellow, brown, white wires in the entire wiper harness from steering column to wiper motor. Look to diagram at this point. In the center of the diagram is what looks like a standard connector with color change from one side to the other. This is the connector on the motor itself and if you look beyond that, you will see the "yellow" wire they are referring to. You have now found the key to understanding where the hell the Y, N, W wires they talk about can be found. You have to look in the
bulkhead-to-motor harness and cut the wire that connects to the yellow wire on the motor (WLG). There are no N or W wires on the motor, but the process is the same. See that the N motor wire (which is a connection inside the motor) goes to BLG in the harness. Cut this wire. See that the W motor wire (again, internal) goes to KLG in the harness. Cut this wire.
- Cut the WLG wire (Y) and splice an additional wire to the bulkhead side wire. Splice an extension wire to the motor side wire (three Y wire total now).
- Cut the BLG wire (N) and DO NOT splice an additional wire to the bulkhead side, just extend both side of this cut wire to the relay location.
- Same applies to the KLG wire (W), no extra wires, just extend both sides of this cut wire to the relays.
- Run 6 (B) wires from good ground.
- Run a ground wire to pin 85 on all 4 relays.
- Run last 2 grounds to pin 87a on 2 of the relays and label them 1&2.
- Run heavy (N) wire (I used 12ga) from LH or RH +12v connector on bulkhead and add a fuse holder in this wire.
- Add 3 (N) wires to the end of this +12v wire and extend to relays.
- Connect 1 (N) wire to pin 87 of relay 1.
-Connect 1 (N) wire to pin 87 of relay 2.
-Connect 1 (N) wire to pin 30/51 of another relay and label it relay 3.
- Connect 1 (Y) bulkhead side wire (from cut WLG) to pin 86 of relay 3.
- Connect the other (Y) bulkhead side wire (from cut WLG) to pin 86 of the last relay and label it 4.
- Connect the motor end of the (Y) wire to pin 87 of relay 3.
- Connect the (N) bulkhead side wire (from cut BLG) to pin 86 of relay2.
- Connect the (N) motor side wire (from cut BLG) to pin 87a of relay 4.
- Connect the (W) bulkhead side wire (from cut KLG) to pin 86 of relay 1.
- Connect the (W) motor side wire (from cut KLG) to pin 30/51 of relay 1.
- Connect a piece of (U) wire between pin 30/51 of relay 4 and pin 30/51 or relay 2.

Add the fuse and see the magic. I used a 5a fuse in the holder for test just because they don't make as much smoke as a 30a. Once the wipers work without smoke, put in an appropriate size fuse. I will use a 20a and see what happens.

I think what this mod has done is not only taken most of the high motor current out of the control switch and moved to the relay location, but the 4th relay was added to also move the ground path out of the control switch and directly to the relays.

Dave

Old 05-06-2020, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

ok, I'm lost in the woods. haha! With no address to enter in my GPS. How's THAT for lost?

And now there are 4 relays? Maybe that's what Doug meant by "double relay" ?

am I condemmed to live with slow wipers?

dang !

all I can ask is: How are the speeds affected?

Old 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

The 4th relay emerges out of the instructions. The diagram hints at another relay at #2, but I can't follow the logic as drawn. It is a very frustrating set of instructions and diagrams, but the key for me, was to just follow the written instructions blindly and you will arrive at your destination.

As you can see in my pictures, I don't have my wipers in place and had to rely on the sound of the motor. I noticed a definite "assertiveness" after the mod that wasn't there before. I couldn't really tell if the speed had changed though.

Don't be afraid to tackle this project Jose, it will turn out fine if you use the written instructions to their word. What's the worst that can happen....?

Dave

Old 05-06-2020, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Dave & Doug,

there is a .pdf file with a set of good pictures and instructions showing how SK Jagtech dId it. but I can't find it.

Looking in my old hard drives starting today. I know I had the file. I always keep the hard drive when I replace computers. So I have at least 6 hard drives to explore. If I find the file I will post it here.

LT1 jaguar (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 03:42 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

See below

Last edited by anjum; 05-06-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:43 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 jaguar
IT WORKS!!!!!, but don't ask me why. There are problems with both the narrative and the diagrams. If you throw away the diagrams, you will have wipers on steroids, but you will also have a couple of extra wire that you went to the trouble to add that were not necessary. I'll re-cut the splice tomorrow and remove them. The diagram looks official, but closer inspection brings "can't get there from here" with knowledge.

Anyway, I would give this mod a 3.5 for difficulty and a 7 for time consumption. Making the relay rack was relatively easy once I decided what I wanted. ………..have to get back to you guys, dinner at the neighbors calls.

One picture.

Dave
Ah!
You had help!!
Is this mod also necessary/ applicable to a series 2 UK?

Old 05-06-2020, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

I thibk any XJ no matter where, Series 2 and 3. Even in Antartica.

anjum (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

I can't answer your question from experience Anjum, but I would think the same wiper system is on a lot of Jaguars. I have never seen Jaguar wipers operate.

This mod is done and I think I had better start putting this car back together, for real. Too many new and rebuilt parts laying around that need to be put back where they belong. I had thought of doing something with the electric window system, but I just have to draw the line somewhere.

Thanks to Jose and Doug for steering me to this project and passing along instructions. There is no way I could have figured out what to do without their help.

One last picture.

Dave

The following 3 users liked this post by LT1 jaguar:
Addicted2boost (09-16-2021), anjum (05-07-2020), Daf11e (05-06-2020)