XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

S3 XJ6. Stalling on idle Right tank only

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 05:46 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
Default S3 XJ6. Stalling on idle Right tank only

Hi there, my S3 XJ6. Keeps stalling at idle and very low speed but only on the right hand side tank, seems fine on the left tank. I am assuming that there is some restriction in the fuel system on low pressure. Any hints about where to start looking first? Is there a separate fuel filter for each tank?

Old 09-28-2019, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,944 Likes on 7,190 Posts

Each tank has its own fuel screen on the pickup pipe, yes. The screen can be replaced by removing the drain plug at the bottom of the tank, which itself is accessed by removing the plastic cover at the bottom of the valence panel. This typically mean breaking the plastic although others may chime in with a method that keeps in intact.

However "......stalling at idle and very low speed...." might suggest something other than a fuel delivery problem. One would expect a clogged fuel screen to give more trouble at higher road speed or under load, when demand is highest.

The delivery system is not segregated downstream of the changeover valve. So if the problem occurs only on one tank then the possibilities are limited.

I'd go ahead and check that pickup screen but, first, just for the heck of it, try leaving the filler cap slightly open and see if the problem goes away. This is a bit of a stretch but maybe there's some sort of weird venting problem that is preventing proper delivery under. Costs nothing to try.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
AnD3rew (09-28-2019), LT1 jaguar (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Preetuy spimd c;ue as to debris in the tank or that the sock on the piclup tube is clogged.

One bg filter sertbes each tank.

Folks add filters to each tank before the pump.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks that’s very helpful. Yes might try leaving the cap open and see if that makes any difference, I know some people have had issues with tank vent tubes clogging, I did wonder if that might be a thing.

Originally Posted by Doug
Each tank has its own fuel screen on the pickup pipe, yes. The screen can be replaced by removing the drain plug at the bottom of the tank, which itself is accessed by removing the plastic cover at the bottom of the valence panel. This typically mean breaking the plastic although others may chime in with a method that keeps in intact.

However "......stalling at idle and very low speed...." might suggest something other than a fuel delivery problem. One would expect a clogged fuel screen to give more trouble at higher road speed or under load, when demand is highest.

The delivery system is not segregated downstream of the changeover valve. So if the problem occurs only on one tank then the possibilities are limited.

I'd go ahead and check that pickup screen but, first, just for the heck of it, try leaving the filler cap slightly open and see if the problem goes away. This is a bit of a stretch but maybe there's some sort of weird venting problem that is preventing proper delivery under. Costs nothing to try.

Cheers
DD