XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Sell me on the S3 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,470 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250
I like how easy they are to drive in modern traffic--not true of many classics. My old diesel Mercedeses (?) were almost dangerously underpowered in some situations, tho I love 'em for many reasons.

I bet yours (Lnr) is even better with its extra power. Is it carburetted or fuel injected? How many gears are in your transmission?
It has a carburetor, Greg, and I Luv it!!

Our Windstar van is FI, the first such vehicle I ever drove and I HATE it and all other FIs I've driven since. True, it gets better fuel economy, but pressing on the GO pedal is taken under advisement rather than as a command. There is a Noticeable lag between depression and progression.

Nix, however, power is there *Immediately* with the Stump Pulling first gear of the 700R4! I stick my foot in it and I have POWER NOW to At Least 5000rpm (never pushed her beyond that and I was in a BIG hurry that time) when I let off slightly and it shifts!! I have No problem maneuvering, even in heavy traffic.

One of the club members has a SIII with the original engine, he complains he's overtaken on on-ramps by PRIUSes!! He's Very ashamed. In fact, on a straight I have closed his lead of several hundred feet after he pulled away on some serious mountain curves which he knew well, having grown up there.
(';')

Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

"Great Enthusiasm and Enormous Panache"--Lnr has the beastie for this. Sounds like great fun. I can hardly imaging an XJ6 moving like that but would love it if mine did!

Growing up in the North made me appreciate the old Bosch Jetronic fuel injection on the old family Rabbit then later my beater Mercedes 280CE. They would always start first try.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,470 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250
[...]
Growing up in the North made me appreciate the old Bosch Jetronic fuel injection on the old family Rabbit then later my beater Mercedes 280CE. They would always start first try.
My car starts cold almost as quick an the FI van. There is one modification I would make to the fuel system: This is the first carbbed engine I've driven without an electric fuel pump positioned well away from engine heat. Depending on the cam driven diaphragm pump has Distinct Disadvantages in California's hot weather in city traffic.

I'd heard of vapor lock, understood the dynamics of it, but hadn't experienced it until we were entering the freeway one day, in a hurry as usual, after having been tooling around town, and Nix ran out of gas!! I had to feather the throttle until she caught her breath! To say I was surprised is an understatement! I'm careful now that I have good fuel feed before entering the freeway.

Another time, I was filling the tanks on an equally hot day, and the gas in the engine bay vaporized in the lines I guess, because Nix did Not want to start! Fortunately there were not a lot of people there, and the battery is good, but that could have been Way Beyond embarrassing!

During the restoversion 30 years ago they plumbed the tanks together and did away with the fuel pumps in the trunk. I would like to find a way to install an electric pump somewhere under there so I don't have to deal with vapor lock ever again.

Yet another Winter project for my growing list.
(';')