XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Ser III XJ6 to V12 project

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

????

Seems the shortest way home is to "Daimlerize" the Sovereign!!

Or perhaps I mis read?

Carl

Old 04-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,930 Likes on 7,181 Posts

Originally Posted by luds1
how easy is to change everything over and what would I need to change. or is it worth cutting up the shell to put on the Daimler?. I have rebuilt the suspension on the Daimler back and front with new parts. please give me your feedback thank you.

I wouldn't disassemble and/or cut panels off of a good body. Keep the body intact and install the V12 engine and ancillaries.

In essence you'll need the V12 engine and transmission, obviously, and the matching engine and transmission mounts. All engine bay wiring, all fuel injection wiring from the boot forward, the ECU, the V12 radiator and oil cooler, throttle, shift, and cruise control cables, V12 gearshift assembly, V12 tachometer, V12 exhaust system. That's jut off the top of my head.

How easy?

As engine swaps go it isn't too bad. But there are dozens of time consuming details to work out. Actually installing the engine and transmission is the least problematic aspect.

This sort of thing is practical only if DIY labor is used. Paying a repair shop would out the costs way too high....far exceeding the value of the car, I suspect.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response, where would you say I should start stripping down the Daimler first
The sovereign still has the dash but all interior gone apart from door cards
Would I need to strip most of the wiring out of sovereign or just add to it

Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by luds1
Thank you for your response, where would you say I should start stripping down the Daimler first
The sovereign still has the dash but all interior gone apart from door cards
Would I need to strip most of the wiring out of sovereign or just add to it
You'll need to remove V12 specific wiring (engine and fuel injection mostly) from the donor car for use in the recipient car. Body/interior wiring is *mostly* the same. *some* of the V12 specific wiring extends to the cabin.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

Haven't had much time in the last month or so

Exhaust installed...using the old system from the donor car for the moment but it's in poor shape. After the car is complete, running, and sorted I'll install new.

Working now on engine-forward stuff. AC compressor, radiator, oil cooler, a/c condenser, alternator, p/s hoses, cooler hoses, etc. Shortly after this pic was taken I installed the new belts---so easy with the hood off . Fans, shrouds, and hoses are next

Installed new engine oil pan gasket. It was so easy and inexpensive that I couldn't resist.

Trans cooler hoses (second pic) were 'rebuilt' locally for about $20-25 each, as were p/s hoses. I did all the fuel hoses myself. They can be seen installed, barely, in the upper left corner of the first picture

Next is wiring which shouldn't be very hard but there are some circuits I won't be using (for a couple superfluous fuel injector functions) so I need to remove them from the looms.

After that is just continued reassembly of all the 'bits'.

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails Ser III XJ6 to V12 project-engine-detail-front.jpg   Ser III XJ6 to V12 project-cooler-hoses.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by Doug:
LnrB (05-13-2016), NathanDD6 (05-15-2016), o1xjr (05-13-2016), Sarc (05-17-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Keep the updates coming Doug, engine bay looks gorgeous!

Old 05-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NathanDD6
Keep the updates coming Doug, engine bay looks gorgeous!

Thanks, but that's just the (cell phone) camera being a bit forgiving

I haven't detailed this engine or engine bay to a high level by any means. Just enough to avoid having to hang my head in shame when I lift the hood.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Well you've inspired me to do something about mine now.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Doug:

Nice work, but what else would we expect!

Esconced in new digs? Now, time to do "fun" things! I have the impression that Oregon is more of a "progressive" state than Washington. Will that interfere with your projects? Can't trust you to pump your own gas there. Must use a "qualified, well trained technician" !!!

My ancient cell will take pictures. But, that is where it stops! How to email them or down load to my computer escapes me. As I have a basic service on it, it may be impossible.

No matter my even older digital cameras can do it nicely. Each differently, the old Olympus predates USB!! The a bit younger Canon does it sorta. But, on this machine, attachment is iffy. Non existant on this forum!!!

The other Dell on XP can handle the Olympus best...

I keep the Olympus on medium resolution to match
J-L's picture size limitations.

My daughter gave me a much newer, but still not the latest.
she thinks I can do things on it sans activation. How, beats the h...
outta me.

Played and worked outside a bit. Getting odd solar lights here and there fired up.

Fired up the weed whacker and mowed some back "pasture". If only I had a baler...

Whacked down some volunteer plumb shoots, the hard way, lopers powered by me!!!

My big Bay tree up front has two dead trunks !!! Looking forward to more lumber jack work....?!?!

Carl

Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Doug:

Nice work, but what else would we expect!

Thanks

Esconced in new digs?
Sort of.

The living areas are pretty well all sorted out, boxes unpacked, etc

The PO converted half the garage to a bedroom so I'm converting it back to original configuration and planning on an expansion....so there's a fair bit of 'unrest' and chaos at that end of the house!

Now, time to do "fun" things! I have the impression that Oregon is more of a "progressive" state than Washington. Will that interfere with your projects? Can't trust you to pump your own gas there. Must use a "qualified, well trained technician" !!!
*Generally* more progressive, yes, but (as with so many states) the rural-ish folk have some different philosophies than the city-ish folk!

I'm smack dab in the middle of Salem so I'm in with the progressive crowd, mostly.

Gasoline:
It takes some getting used to after decades of pumping it myself.

I don't think it was ever a matter of qualifications. More a matter of job preservation, and I'm all for that. If we went back to full service gas stations everywhere we'd have a lot fewer unemployed on food stamps....and what would it cost? A dime a gallon maybe? But, anyhow, this is not the place for that discussion

My ancient cell will take pictures. But, that is where it stops! How to email them or down load to my computer escapes me. As I have a basic service on it, it may be impossible.

I have decent camera and I'm always *intending* to take more (and better) pics....but I get caught up in the task at hand and simply forget. However, the cell phone is useful for a quick snap-shot when my brain cells align properly enough for me to remember

Cheers
DD

Old 06-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Incremental steps.....

Sorting out some wiring bits while there's still room in the engine bay to do so

- Oxygen sensors hooked up. This means holes cut into each wall of the engine bay, as the wiring from each sensor is actually in the wheelwells and is routed into the engine bay

- Heavy ground cable installed from the main ground point to the engine

- Electric fan wired-up. Used existing XJ6 circuit as-is, except for shortening some wires. There is no tie-in with the a/c compressor as typically found on this vintage V12. That can be added later if I feel it is needed

- Eliminated two 'idle over-ride' relays and associated tangles of wire.

Also....

- Added the foam to close out the gaps between the radiator and the radiator opening. In this case I had some leftover Corvette radiator foam pieces (1969-72 427/454 applications) which fit nicely

Below are pics of fan wiring and radiator foam

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails Ser III XJ6 to V12 project-cooling-fan.jpg   Ser III XJ6 to V12 project-radiator-foam.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Jahmiata (03-05-2024), NathanDD6 (06-07-2016), ronbros (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:36 AM

Beautiful, it it up and keep the pics coming

Old 06-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I'm slowing reaching the point where there are more parts on then car than on the workbench. Still have miles to go, though. Some wiring remains to be spliced and routed, air cleaners, upper radiator hoses, A/c hoses and drier, cruise control, cables, and more.

Everything is buttoned up on the underside, though.

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails Ser III XJ6 to V12 project-v12-progress.jpg  
Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 PM
Tar
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Lord, that is one sanitary–looking engine. Fills up the bay, doesn't it?
Will we see you at any of the Northwest gatherings this summer?

Andrew.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,377 Likes on 5,439 Posts

Wow, Doug, the last time I saw an engine that clean was in the college shop!!
I'd almost forgotten what a Clean engine looks like!!
(';')

Old 06-22-2016, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member

Clean engines have always been my goal, dating back to my first
alteration of my 23 T roadster pickup fenderless 27 roadster. Colors limited then, I chose a light grey.

Yeah, Doug shares a bath towel with his soon-to-be V12!!!
Definitely nice work.

Added project, leaving ATT for Comcast triple play!! Issues to resolve.
No cable plug in this room. An adjacent room has cable and phone jacks. So, might up a notch and go wireless on these twodesk tops and the lap top in the front room.

My foggy memory indicates that at one time, this room had a cable outlet. It was son's room till he left the nest, decades ago... Finding it intact would solve a lot...

Carl

Old 06-22-2016, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
........ Just enough to avoid having to hang my head in shame when I lift the hood.

Cheers
DD

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that has probably not happened on one of your personal cars maybe ever, or at the least for a very long time :-)

Thanks for the thread , its interesting to see a V12 live again.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone.

There is some amount of ....ummm...er....photographic forgiveness going on here. The engine and engine bay is 'decent' but not super detailed or show quality. I've been there, done that on other cars and enjoyed it....but that's not what this project is about.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (06-23-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Artistic license is available to all. I've a dim recollection
that way back when movie photographers used this when
filming over the hill stars.

But, I've just got that feeling that the use
of a top flight camera would reveal a more than
merely tidy engine bay.

Side bar. I installed a new battery in my Jeep. As is usual in today's
critters, 94 vintage, two metric fasteners and two SAE!!! A collection
of leaves under the bonnet/hood at the cabin air intake. I took the
opportunity to blow them outta there. Swept the garage and patio also, gas leaf blower....
Carl

Old 07-14-2016, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Not much new to report, slowly moving ahead, I think it'll be ready to make noises in a couple weeks. My to-do list is down to about 25 items, mostly easy stuff

But what I really wanted to do was pass something along before I forgot......

I've been using some neato wire ties that were leftover from a Corvette project. I think they're a bit classier than some other choices. Easily adjustable, and reusable. A little expensive, though.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50e&ukey=45822

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails Ser III XJ6 to V12 project-corvette-wire-tie.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ser III XJ6 to V12 project