XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Series 1 - Brake Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 02:36 PM
Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Series 1 - Brake Bleeding

I have had my rear calipers rebuilt and am now trying to get the brakes bled. The car has sat for 3 years. When I first tried pumping the brake pedal it felt stuck (I'm sure it was). Once it broke that sticking point and started moving, the pedal didn't feel like it was moving a full stroke and there was no fluid coming out of the calipers. So, I assumed it was a back master cylinder. I ordered a kit and put all new seals in it. The original seals seemed fine, but everything got replaced. With the master cylinder back in place, I have a much longer pedal travel now, as I would expect, however there is still no fluid coming out of the bleeder valve at all.

So far, I have just tested at the rear calipers. So, my next step is to check the front calipers to see if they get anything and then go from there.

Just checking to see if anyone has any ideas?

Old 09-11-2023, 05:35 PM
Received 260 Likes on 120 Posts

Try leaving just one rear brake nipple open for a few hours or overnight. Your brake fluid reservoir should drain. Then try again to bleed.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:45 AM
Received 1,069 Likes on 627 Posts

You may also have a blocked rear flexible hose. They decay inwards.
I just had this on my S3 XJ6.

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (09-15-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 05:13 PM
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Also may have to check the proportioning valve below the actual master cylinder. Mine was really clogged and stuck but would not pass fluid even under pressure. They never see maintenance, after periods of sitting they can get some pretty nasty jelly in there.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the input.

@The Mekon I left the bleed valve open with the end of the hose higher than the caliper but lower than the reservoir (which I read somewhere else). No luck.
@Bill Mac My flex hose is brand new.
@slofut I don't believe that there is a proportioning valve on the series 1. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought one of those vacuum bleeders and even with vacuum, no fluid comes out. I even sucked on the hose myself and vacuum builds up but no fluid. I then removed the bleeder valve and fluid will drip out. Maybe just leave it out overnight and see if that will gravity bleed?

I'm wondering if I've got some blockage that is in there from sitting for 3 yrs?

Old 09-12-2023, 10:01 PM
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Derek, you may be correct on the series1 proportioning valve, it would be obvious if it were there and mine is a ser2 car.. I would start by taking a front caliper line completely loose, press pedal and see if you get good stream. I use a cheap plastic full length mirror from the local low end dept store so you can view solo from the drivers seat. Go from there, I have the same symptoms, One section of line at the time checking for clear line and clean fluid.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 284 Posts

This is what a proportioning valve looks like on the Series II. It's mounted down on the driver's side, just outboard of the lower part of the exhaust manifolds with master cylinder pipe going to it and front and rear pipes leading out of it. It would be obvious if you have one. Can't speak for the Series I.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:15 PM

Finally! Got the brakes bled. After validating that I had fluid at the front brakes, I followed the back brake lines, disconnected and checked that I had fluid coming out at each spot. However, I still didn't have a very solid brake. I talked to an old timer mechanic and he said "Listen carefully! You can't do it by yourself. Have someone else pump the brakes and then, with them holding the pressure, open the valve and then close it. Repeat until no more air comes out." Well, Mrs. Baudrate got a good legs workout, and the brakes are working much better now.

I was sweating it , because my car hasn't been on the road for 3 yrs, and there's a British Car Show in Boise this weekend. It looks like I can go now!

Thanks again for all the input.

The following 2 users liked this post by baudrate:
Jahmiata (09-20-2023), yachtmanbuttson (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 12:40 AM
Received 210 Likes on 110 Posts

Glad to hear you got the problem sorted.
When bleeding brakes, I always have an assistant in the driver's seat. Then go:
  • Open bleed nipple
  • Press brake pedal to the floor
  • Close bleed nipple with pedal still held down
  • Release brake pedal
  • Repeat until no more air bubbles in the fluid
It also helps to have one of those "Eazy-Bleed" non-return valves on the bleed tube going to the jar you catch the brake fluid in....but not essential.

Jahmiata (09-20-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 04:42 PM
Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by baudrate
Finally! Got the brakes bled. After validating that I had fluid at the front brakes, I followed the back brake lines, disconnected and checked that I had fluid coming out at each spot. However, I still didn't have a very solid brake. I talked to an old timer mechanic and he said "Listen carefully! You can't do it by yourself. Have someone else pump the brakes and then, with them holding the pressure, open the valve and then close it. Repeat until no more air comes out." Well, Mrs. Baudrate got a good legs workout, and the brakes are working much better now.

I was sweating it , because my car hasn't been on the road for 3 yrs, and there's a British Car Show in Boise this weekend. It looks like I can go now!

Thanks again for all the input.
Hey Derek, cool you were able to get the bleeding sorted...pretty basic procedure, normally.

One question - did you perchance own a red '69 S1 car at one time? ...the car's in Boise, kinda seemed there's a good chance it was you.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Scott
One question - did you perchance own a red '69 S1 car at one time? ...the car's in Boise, kinda seemed there's a good chance it was you.
No. This is my first Jag. I've never seen another S1 in the area. We did see a red S2, which is what got us interested in the classic XJ6's.

Chris Scott (09-22-2023)