XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

series 2 ignition broken :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default series 2 ignition broken :(

So today after I took my key out guess what followed. . . my dam ignition pins!!!

How do I go about removing the ignition I see there is a lock pin thing holding it into place how do I take that off? on my black series 2 it just had a bolt which I unscrewed and the whole ignition came out with ease but this looks permantly in place

Also what transmission oil do I use? and is it normal for these jaguars to use oil and trans fluid? engine doesn't smoke was rebuilt but I took it for a 3hour drive cruising and it keeps using oil on me grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,930 Likes on 7,181 Posts

I think you're seeing a "shear bolt". They've so design that the head breaks off at "X" amount of torque. This means a common theif cannot come along and remove it. It also mean that you have to drill it out ! :-)

Type "F" or "FA" on the trans fluid.

"Using" trans fluid can only mean it's leaking out. Any drips under the car?

As for engine oil, well, the old XKs usually do burn a bit. One quart/1000 miles wouldn't alarm me too much on an old engine but a fresh rebuild should be much less.

Mine burned a quart every 2500 miles or so.

How much exactly are you using?

Cheers
DD

Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just recently had my trans service with new filter etc and from what I can see its not leaking out anywhere but haven't jacked it up to have a look, Checking trans fluid works like this, car at temperature idleing go through all the gears then put it back in park and check fluid while car is at idle? correct? because doing it that way shows just on the dipstick, when car is off it shows abit more full.

Engine oil is hard to say really, but haven't driven the car much past few months just done under 100-200kms and seems to use maybe 1liter type thing. I just took it for a 3hour drive for a hunting trip and now im having problems, ignition broke on me in a town 3hours from home so sort of stuck for now, will have to drill it out so I don't smash the steering lock then will hotwire so I can get back home for a new ignition.

Can't see anywhere that trans fluid or engine oil is dripping from no marks on driveway or nothing and the engine bay is tidy and clean and it doesn't smoke and I don't drive it like a race car either, well I did try see what it had just out of curiosity but it didn't want to rev past 3500rpm in 3rd which I assumed was fuel related as it wanted to pull but just stopped revving like it wasn't getting fuel. Need to figure out how to drain the carbys to make sure they are clean the change fuel filter to see if that fixes it, I checked ignition system but that seemed all fine. Revs right out in 1st and 90% good in 2nd sometimes it stalls before pulling but in 3rd just seems to try pull then lag out.

I would email the owner I brought it from and ask questions as he done the rebuild himself and owned for 30years before selling to me but thought its rude if I keep bothering him with questions when its been 6months since I purchased the car so trying to find some answers on here

fingers crossed I can find someone which sells trans fluid in the town I'm in, I remember when the trans was getting serviced he had problems getting the right trans fluid and had to wait a week or so to order some. The engine oil I use is 20w 50, I assume that oil is fine? have got the manuals but there all at home and im stuck 3 hours away