XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Series 3, Central Locking Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Series 3, Central Locking Issues.

Hello fellow Jaguar dudes,

I feel a tad foolish posting this, but I'm at wits end with trying to solve the central locking problems on my 83 Series 3 VDP.

It works fine 90% of the time, the 'other' 10% results in the car randomly locking me in the vehicle, which is okay, but sometimes locking me outside with the keys in the ignition and engine still running.

It has also resulted in one of the rear doors not being able to be opened at all. It locks and unlocks, door opens a few centimetres, then appears to jam. No amount of fiddling about will open the thing, which is annoying.

Trying to remove the door card with the door shut looks to be a Houdini job, any suggestions out there?

Many thanks.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,085 Likes on 460 Posts

i had an inoperative back door when i first bought my 83 and was able to get card off pretty easily by removing back seat, mine is the base xj6 so it may be a bit more involved in taking your seat out, but mine was just a couple of screws holding base down then two bolts holding back in place. The door card would have come off without removing the seat if i recall correctly, but my tools aren't the cleanest and in the base model its just the trim screws on the arms rest that are inaccessible, everything else just pops off, again this is all subject to my memory being correct!!

I never did figure out the cause of the door not working properly, as once i had card off, my hands were in the door blind just pulling random things and the door opened, and has worked since! i did spray all the linkages with white lithium grease, while it was open and card was off, but it was already working at that point!

Good luck!!

Last edited by Darrenmb; 04-25-2016 at 02:14 PM.