XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Series 3 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series 3 project

Hello! My name is Dave and I am the new owner of a 1986 4.2 Liter XJ6 Series 3.

The Good

I bought the car 3 weeks ago for what I believe is good value at $4,300, delivery and all. It still has the original inline 4.2 liter 6 cylinder engine and 74k miles on the car. The body looks great although there are the typical rust signs near the back window and windshield areas. The previous owner did some cosmetic work on these portions and it is not in bad shape, likewise for the under belly, the car is fairly rust free and in good condition. It also received a new ignition coil and spark plugs within the last 3,000 miles. I replaced the battery shortly after purchase and the vehicle starts every time and drives beautifully. The interior is fantastic and has very little wear, some badges and emblems need to be replaced. The car is a wonderful Grosvenor Brown (this may be changed to a nice brown/burgundy/red in the distant future).

The Bad

Upon taking it to a shop, I've found large oil leaks at the front of the engine and all 4 ball joints in the front (upper and lower) are cracked. The transmission slips when in reverse, and the right side rear axle is leaking onto the brake rotors and brake pads. While most of the electronics work, I have a high beam out, a side marker light out and AC is out, the moon roof doesn't open, the back windows do not operate well ( They work using the master switch in the front) the radio is out as well. The various leaks are: oil cooler lines, transmission oil cooler lines near the radiator, coolant hoses are spongy due to other leaks. Alot of deferred maintenance ( I believe I'm the 5th owner)

I'm really very bullish on this car, I've wanted a Jaguar since I was very young and I'm elated to have one. My intention is to keep the car as a weekend driver, and I want to have this for a long time. However, I want to make improvements only if they keep with the originality of the car and if it is worth it. I don't know if I'll ever sell it but I want to ensure it has value to put money into in case I decide to move it on. I'm 29 and time is my friend!

My question for our group is, how extensive are some of the issues described? Do we see S3 XJ6 models rising in value in the next 5,10,15 years? Did I buy the car for a good price (or am I a big dummy)? Let me know what you think, glad to finally be a jag owner!