Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 3 vacuum question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Series 3 vacuum question

just tinkering this afternoon, was checking all my lines and wonder what could be leaking on them? If i follow the line that comes out the back of the intake and then goes down under it to a tee then, goes over a bit more to a thingy (i cant see it), but it has what feels like 2 vacuum feeds and one exit that seems to go to the dizzy, first off why two feeds? or are my hands confused down there? 2 what it is the thingy im talking about, 3 why is it all wet??? didnt look or feel like oil, i guess it could be coolant, when i went to wash my hands it then felt like oil..... anyone have any ideas???????

Last edited by Darrenmb; 10-20-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: was one big long sentence!!! still is, but i added some commas :)
Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's some pics that should help:

"Thingy" is the distributor vacuum regulator.

And from page 5 of the SKJagtech book about the climate control system, the diagram below shows the vacuum line connections on the firewall, below the battery tray area.

You'll have to find out if something under there is leaking, there is a metal coolant pipe that runs under the intake manifold, which might be leaking and spraying the thingy. You might be able to see it better from underneath, with car safely on jackstands.

Last edited by bbarcher; 11-17-2010 at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jose (01-13-2013)
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 459 Posts

Thank you for the diagram, its nice to know my hands weren't lying, i see everything i could feel!! Once i get the part for my shed garage door (a whole nother story) the jag will be housed in a 26 x12 metal garage /shed, and i can get it up in the air some and do some real tinkering!! as the garage is full with the missus car and the mower, and all my tools etc...

Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi...sorry but the digrams are not helping. Does anyone have any pictures that show each line from Point A to Point B? I have an 87 VDP. NEAR the throttle body I have a vacuum line that appears to have been cut. I only discovered it from doing a smoke test. For the life of ke I can't find where this line is supposed to go. I have a rough, low idle when standing still...only when the engine is warm. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by TheEqualizer
Hi...sorry but the digrams are not helping. Does anyone have any pictures that show each line from Point A to Point B? I have an 87 VDP.

EACH line? That's a pretty tall order but someone might chime in ! :-)

NEAR the throttle body I have a vacuum line that appears to have been cut. I only discovered it from doing a smoke test. For the life of ke I can't find where this line is supposed to go. I have a rough, low idle when standing still...only when the engine is warm. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you still have tha air injector pump? If so, does it still have the vacuum hose attached to the electro-vacuum divertor valve that mounted to the back of the pump? If I'm envisioning your cut hose correctly, that's where it would go.

But my memory isn't perfect :-)

Or if the pump has been removed maybe someone cut the hose a just left it attached to the vac port?

Cheers
DD

Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

bbarcher: those are excellent diagrams, I wonder what happened to SKJAGTECH UK ?? Steve Fuller (the man behind SKJAGTECH UK) was very helpful to me and others in the early 2000's with my XJ modifications. He used to post a lot at the Jaguar World Forum too, then he disappeared.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
bbarcher: those are excellent diagrams, I wonder what happened to SKJAGTECH UK ?? Steve Fuller (the man behind SKJAGTECH UK) was very helpful to me and others in the early 2000's with my XJ modifications. He used to post a lot at the Jaguar World Forum too, then he disappeared.

I printed them for keeping! I might own a Ser III again :-)

I think Steve simply went out of business. Maybe he spent so much time making up fantastic diagrams, repair pictorials, etc. for everyone to use that he forgot about turning a profit.

Somebody out there (can't remember who) saved all the stuff from Steve's webpage. There was a ton very useful info.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I printed them for keeping! I might own a Ser III again :-) I think Steve simply went out of business. Maybe he spent so much time making up fantastic diagrams, repair pictorials, etc. for everyone to use that he forgot about turning a profit. Somebody out there (can't remember who) saved all the stuff from Steve's webpage. There was a ton very useful info. Cheers
DD
yes, I remember he designed a 3-relay add-on system for the Series 3 wipers to speed things up just for LHD cars, he's an electronics wizard.

don't wait too long to get a S3 XJ, everyday that passes they get more and more butchered and molested,

that's why I'm sticking with mine, it still drives like a new car, even if it ain't worth mucho dinero, I don't care, I wouldn't find another like it.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Those are certainly great diagrams. Although most of the stuff depiocted there no longer exists in my car I printed them for inclusion in my ever growing collection of Jag lore. The portio as to the AC is worthy enough. And, this summer, I may just get to getting the AC on linhave the stuff, it is just a matter of is there oil in the comptessor or is there no!! And, is the eva[porator contaminated?e!!!I