XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Series I Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:08 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYJAG-84
o1xjr,
Looking at the front grille, what emblem would have been original for this car? If you'll notice it doesn't have one. I'm also curious, was the cat hood ornament an option?

I'm wondering what information my vin # can provide?
You are missing the centre piece of the grill, it has a gold growler on it. My spare is not a good one, the good one is on the car but would have had to move it to get a pic.

The 1969 420G was the last Jaguar to leave Browns Lane with a leaper. But later cars had the drill holes marked for them on the inside of the bonnet.

Not sure what your vin will tell you, I just know when I have looked at series 1 parts books the vin numbers stop 18 after mine.

The following users liked this post:
INDYJAG-84 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,384 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Originally Posted by scatcat
How much cutting of the bodywork was involved in getting the lights & grille to fit Ellinor? I actually thought your car was a S3, & I've only just noticed the higher waistline & lower glasshouse. Did you do the mods, or did you buy it that way?
No, the car had all the body mods done by the PO over 30 years ago according to the paperwork he gave.

No body mods for the grille, except that 2 of the studs must be removed from the grille itself.

Tail lights on the other hand, took some cutting.

This is Not reversible.
(';')

Old 03-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

The XJ6 is in transit from Arizona to Indianapolis, but wont arrive until next Monday. The wait is killing me! I guess I'll use this as a Lenten Sacrifice.

While I'm waiting can any one recommend some threads or other reading regarding addressing of the following issues/things that I know I'll want to fix?

1.) Front and rear windscreen seals.
2.) Headliner replacement.
3.) Fix intermittent Dash Clock.
4.) AC repair (clutch engages) assume I'll need to rebuild/replace compressor.
5.) Windscreen wipers.
6.) Adding Aux input and/or replacing original stereo components.
7.) Adding Overdrive to a Lump with early 80's 350 mated to a TH350.

While none of these items are critical to fair whether driving, witch will be the primary purpose of this vehicle. I will eventually be addressing all of them, I hope.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

I had my clock converted to Quartz.. looks the same buts keeps perfect time but does not "tick" any longer. Had it repaired a couple of times but after all these years they are worn out inside.

Take out the 350 and put in a 200R.. had three Jags with SBC and two of them with 700R but like the gear ratios of the 200R better... no big loss of RPM between 1-2 shift... the first gear in the 700R is better if you have low RPM torque... the OD ratios is better in the 200R = lower RPMs at highway speeds.

You have not experienced the wiper system yet... they are horrible.. cannot understand that from a country that has lots of rain? Just make sure the system is working according to the sweeps on both speeds per the book... clean your windows and wax them... add Rain X to your wiper bottle...

Adding a modern radio means enlarging the existing hole... or buy one of the "retro" conversions units that will fit in the stock sized hole.. I have a modern Kenwood with USB, Bluetooth and still a single CD... plus Pandora etc... but the depth available behind the radio is limited.. especially if you modernize your AC/heat vent system by adding
one of two more center vents in the parcel tray.

I have the luxury of a local glass shop that knows how to remove the trim and install new seals in the front/rear... rare today... be sure to plan on fixing any rust in those areas while glass is out!

Headliner replacement... your backing board is probably gone... fitting the new headliner and getting the "tails" back in place by the "C" pillar is "fun"... I took this time to remove
the stock rear view mirror and use a Gentex rear view mirror that mounts onto the windshield glass.. it has compass and OT features (other features are available). If you
are tall you might find that it blocks your forward vision some?

Old 03-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Roger,

All good suggestions.

I'll probably wait until I've had it for a bit before I do the Transmission swap and there's a lot of different info out there regarding it but I appreciate your recommendation on the 200.

And I have to hand it to you for original thinking about putting rain-ex in wiper reservoir.

As far as the AC goes did you retro-fit some AC vents from something into the parcel tray?

Seller just sent me another Tease picture before loading it on truck.

Attached Thumbnails Series I Buy-51061131758__0f9d5d60-8ff9-4389-bb7f-25d889661e28-002-.jpg  
Old 03-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Greg

Yes, my heating and AC has been heavily modified to work better. Behind the radio is a herd of stock vacuum lines and heater controls that are not findable today... plastic nipples on the devices that break and can be fixed or updated.

I have added two more vents for AC/heat in the parcel tray... their source comes from the center "port" off the bottom of the evaporator behind the radio and the RH tube that feeds the RH rear passenger vents inside the center console. If you get around to it, contact me for specific items but the photo show the dual vent system in the parcel tray.

Heater has a Vintage Air electronic servo controlled water valve that replaces the Jag unit.. it looks stock inside the car and uses the original Jag heater knob. Note that I have a larger modern DIN sized radio...

Attached Thumbnails Series I Buy-wider-vent.jpg  
Old 09-15-2021, 08:19 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

LnrB, I am spending hours sifting through old threads learning what I can. You have a beautiful car!!

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,384 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Originally Posted by DBaer
LnrB, I am spending hours sifting through old threads learning what I can. You have a beautiful car!!
Why Thank you!

Old 09-16-2021, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

And, stomp on the gas to pass.. In the rain? No wipers!!!

Earlier cars had hand operated wipers!!!

My T roadster had nne!!! A rag if really bad..

Old 09-21-2021, 08:12 AM
Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

Talking of other cars & wipers, I once owned a Mini Moke 'Californian" which was the "luxury" model.
It is the only car I've owned that needed wipers both on the inside & the outside, given the poorly fitting canopy/hood.
Interestingly, Mokes now sell for big $$$$'s here in Oz.
I sold mine a few years ago (wife detested it), and it was the only car I have ever made money on!