XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Series II electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,384 Likes on 5,442 Posts

People like your car's previous owner are what give Conversions a bad name.

The relays are quite tough actually, far more so than modern equivalents. Those in our Elderly cars can be taken apart and cleaned if they need it, more than once. The points are Large and the wiring heavy for their duty. In a word, they're Overbuilt.

I have only come upon ONE questionable relay in my Series 2; the Locking relay for Central Locking. It had one burned point, but that was because the linkages were so stiff and gummed up that it had to be engaged for a long time to lock the doors.

I inspected my headlight relay, and even after 41 years it looked fine. It'll probably go another 41 years unless I decide to up the wattage of the headlights, and that's not likely.
(';')

Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 176 Likes on 114 Posts

The headlight relay for my headlights on the high beam side has stopped working. Not that it owes me anything after 42 years. However, whenever you see the wiring in my car, you will understand why i want to eliminate and replace anything that has had the misfortune of sharing drinks with it.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

!!!!!!

Where to even begin!!

S57 Jaguar electric Schematics.

My power locks just quit. I checked my S57. Fuse on auxiliary panel. On my car, a LHD, on the passenger scuttle. When I feel 100%, I'll start there.

Clue: About 24 days ago, It would not crank. Oh, h..., another battery??? But, not so fast, charge it. I did. All has been well sine. Except the power door and boot lock !! Related or coincidence ?

We will see.

Carl

Old 03-08-2017, 10:58 AM

Yeah i have cut that harness back to a block connector since none of those cables are attached to anything. I just need to figure out what those cables were for the original jag engine.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay

Can you take a picture of the relay where your starter solenoid wire is attached, and what is the number it is attached to?

Thanks,

Old 03-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Gotta be super careful on the Jag to GM crank circuit. Mine uses a Johns cars kit.
A generic relay in lieu of the jag "tin can" type. But, with diodes on two of it's legs. which two and in what direction????

Not doing it results in a back feed. Not good. Don't ask....

Carl

Old 03-26-2017, 02:16 PM

Yeah the previous owner cobbled together a push button and kill switch so that the keyed ignition no longer starts the vehicle. I haven't untangled all of the wires yet to see if i can return it to factory or not. I probably won't have good pictures for you @bosshoss

New intellitronix gauges. https://intellitronix.com/products/digital-gauges Sidenote: the speedo and tach gauges were not a direct fit and i had to shim them with orings. Alternatively you can hollow out the original gauge housings and use them as adapters for the new gauges.

Here is a shot of the wiring underneath my dash for bosshoss, its a complete hodgepodge mess of wires that aren't factory

seats removed

most of the carpet removed. Check out those rotted floorboards.