XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Series II XJ12 Sighting, Chevy 350 Sacrilege?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Series II XJ12 Sighting, Chevy 350 Sacrilege?

I spotted this fairly nice looking Series II XJ12 in the wild in Tulsa and then happened to see the car for sale on craigslist (and unsurprisingly is a Chevy 350 conversion.)

I have to admit it's tempting for $2k if only to have a rolling sculpture and something to play with for a few months, but does anyone have any knowledge about this particular car or ownership experiences (hopefully to dissuade me) with Series II XJs? What is the driving experience like compared to an XJ40 or X300?

Last edited by okXJR; 02-22-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: photos
Old 02-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,382 Likes on 5,440 Posts

If you want to be dissuaded then just walk away.
"Sacrilege" is a religious term that should have nothing to do with a mere car.
The "Shame" however, would be crushing and shredding this or any other classic Jaguar just because it no longer carries a V12, which probably had some terminal problem.

My car is SII with a 350/700R4 (came to me that way) and it's the most fun of any sedan I've ever driven. It corners like it's on rails, leaves all but the most diligent drivers several lengths behind at a green light and does that with the most comfort and class of anything I've ever seen.

That said, you must realize these cars are now 40 years old and without constant attention to rust can disintegrate in their original atomic structure before you're even aware it has an infection.

I would immediately be suspicious of this one knowing all the places water likes to hide and feed the rust monster, and seeing it being driven in a city in the snow. Think SALT!

In the end you have to decide for yourself if you Really want this car or not.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
okXJR (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
If you want to be dissuaded then just walk away.
"Sacrilege" is a religious term that should have nothing to do with a mere car.
The "Shame" however, would be crushing and shredding this or any other classic Jaguar just because it no longer carries a V12, which probably had some terminal problem.

My car is SII with a 350/700R4 (came to me that way) and it's the most fun of any sedan I've ever driven. It corners like it's on rails, leaves all but the most diligent drivers several lengths behind at a green light and does that with the most comfort and class of anything I've ever seen.

That said, you must realize these cars are now 40 years old and without constant attention to rust can disintegrate in their original atomic structure before you're even aware it has an infection.

I would immediately be suspicious of this one knowing all the places water likes to hide and feed the rust monster, and seeing it being driven in a city in the snow. Think SALT!

In the end you have to decide for yourself if you Really want this car or not.
(';')
I agree that crushing a classic is a far greater crime than any type of engine swap, though some purists might think otherwise.

This one deserves some careful investigation. I am very familiar with rust after having owned several FIATs that sprout new rust bubbles at the mere mention of water.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (02-22-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Why not just take the thing for a drive and see if you like it?

Externalities like what purists think or if its better or not than another model really dont mean much if you like they way it looks and like the way it drives. Looks a nice thing if its not rust affected.

I quite enjoy my LUMP'd S3, and even a bear of little brain like me can keep it running and on the road relatively easy.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Two very nice looking cars side by side. Same owner? a black on or a white one to choose from each day.

A choice was made as to the V12 vs the GM V8. Catastrophic failure of the V12, or merely, badly worn? or electric issues beyond understanding???

Lump or crusher???

I made a choice after an engine melt down. Not a V12, only a DOHC 6. 0 compression in all holes!!!

Considered fix vs swap in terms of money and capacity. Some influence by son. An accomplished fabricator engine builder and racer. Went shopping. Made choices, some better than others. took a spell. I was still working. For myself. Tough boss, long hours!!

It's been great up to now. A simple fault, made far more complex by me.

Carl

Old 02-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Two very nice looking cars side by side. Same owner? a black on or a white one to choose from each day.

A choice was made as to the V12 vs the GM V8. Catastrophic failure of the V12, or merely, badly worn? or electric issues beyond understanding???

Lump or crusher???

I made a choice after an engine melt down. Not a V12, only a DOHC 6. 0 compression in all holes!!!

Considered fix vs swap in terms of money and capacity. Some influence by son. An accomplished fabricator engine builder and racer. Went shopping. Made choices, some better than others. took a spell. I was still working. For myself. Tough boss, long hours!!

It's been great up to now. A simple fault, made far more complex by me.

Carl
I test drove the car today and was pleasantly surprised...no dire build quality evident like a lot of SII comments suggest and probably the most modern feeling '70s car I've ever driven. The 350 actually suits the car well and isn't a bad thing to have in a driver in Middle America. The seller was a very nice enthusiast owner who has had everything from a Gullwing SL to various Jags.

It's amazing how similar it feels to my XJR (pictured)...very few manufacturers carry through the "heritage" like that. I am also a bit surprised how much carryover there is in the S3, switchgear and all.

Unfortunately there was a bit more floorpan rust that I'd like to deal with but probably not a bad deal for someone who is handy with that kind of work.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,382 Likes on 5,440 Posts

Well Alright then!
You won't ever have to kick yourself for not at least looking into it!
(';')

Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, those reverse "cow kicks' are hard to execute!!

Nice looking XJR. The heritage is clear.

Didn't realize Tulsa was in rust country?

Carl

Old 02-24-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yeah, those reverse "cow kicks' are hard to execute!!

Nice looking XJR. The heritage is clear.

Didn't realize Tulsa was in rust country?

Carl
Thanks, the XJR was a lucky find here. I think Tulsa cars compete for some of the most poorly maintained, ratted out and overpriced in the country...anything with working AC is worth $3k. Between the extreme heat in the summer destroying paint and interiors, the salt in the winter and third world quality roads destroying suspensions and bodywork, the situation is bad.

I miss the days of living in the Pacific NW and finding nicely preserved Volvo 122s, Alfas, Fiats and Peugeots for $1000.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My swb XJ6 GM350 and Series III E type with Mopar were compromises I greatly enjoyed.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

The SII, V12 is an amazing ride... I should know, I own one. It is a nightmare on wheels though. A 350 conversion probably keeps the car on the asphalt. Being a purist, it does not do anything for me.