Shakedown

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Thank you, Tony,
Yes, *Very* satisfying!
No volume though, the radio didn't work when I got the car, and I soon learned that neither the antenna nor speakers were connected. That's OK though, because I dislike a radio in a car. They're so distracting that I can't hear the engine and/or what's going wrong. So I took the ca. 1986 radio/cassette player out of the dash and chucked it into the Used Electronics pile for disposal. I plan to build a drawer for the hole.
(';')
Fair enough, engine music even better! Feel free to sing along though...

The drawer sounds interesting, can we see the schematic when you're done?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,432 Likes on 5,454 Posts

Originally Posted by jagent
[...]
The drawer sounds interesting, can we see the schematic when you're done?
Sure!
(';')

Old 09-26-2015, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Hmmmm. It wasn't til about 1950, that I got a car with a radio!!! Green 47 Ford.
Good brakes, also, another milestone!!!

Traveling those long Texas roads alone made them almost essential. or, with a gal, nice background music to help set the mood.

But, then in Germany, boring Army radio and endless Engelbert Humperdinck.
The only song he knew was ankeshoen"!!!

I don't sing well at all!!!

And later in business travel, sports talk or just music, cassette or 8 track....
I've a ton of each....

My jeep has an overly fancy radio. Frills that are more trouble than their worth.

I've installed many an after market stero in past critters.

I've two spare circa 83 Jaguar radios on my shelves. Build my own boom box????

Carl

Old 09-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl,
When/where I was growing up there were 3 stations; the Eternal Farm Report (I got so sick of hearing the same wheat/hog/cattle prices over and over and over... and Every radio in the house on full blast) which was necessary to know but I had no interest, and the other station was sort of a middle of the road mix station with a weak signal. There was also a rock station but it had an even weaker signal so I seldom got to hear it.

For the Farm Report there was Always a working radio in Every rig on the place, including cars (of course), trucks, pickups, tractors and the combine. So the only peace I found was in my own car, alone, on the open road, in Silence!

Husband likes noise when he's driving but he has to twiddle with the dials all the time and that takes his eyes off the road. After a couple close calls he leaves it off.
(';')

Old 09-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, just bummed out on them, huh!!!

No TV when I was a kid. Radio only. Learned to do my home work and listen to The Lone Ranger, Shadow, etc. while doing it. A skill I still have, sorta. Read and watch TV. One w/o the other just doesn't work

And, the shop does have a little boom box. Background noise essential???

On the road messing with the radio about as bad as present day texting while driving. I do try to avoid changing or searching. But, guilty at times, Yup!

The Jaguar is particularly vulnerable. Teeny buttons. Location, way too low.
I leave it as it is when driving.

I've mused on swapping locations of the trip computer and the radio. As the TC is as nuts as my speedo, I seldom pay any attention to it. As a clock, mebbe!!!

Not enough room in the cubby for your stuff????

Carl

Old 09-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
[...]
Not enough room in the cubby for your stuff????

Carl
There's Never enough room for a girl's stuff, Carl!
I have the cubby under the arm rest full of club badges and charger cords, a hair brush and a Leatherman in the door pocket. The glove box is full of documentation, maps, and spare shades. I made a tiny cubby in place of the center outlet of the center vent, but that was mostly to plug the hole because all the air went to the back seat where no one ever sits anyway.

Speaking of air to the back seat, all that work I did under the console last Winter to properly connect the air pipes and seal leaks was Definitely worth the effort (while I was in there anyway)! That vent works now, so when there's too much cold air in the front (not as far fetched as one might think) I can open the rear vent and disperse cold air more evenly in the car.
(';')

Old 09-27-2015, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Lnrb:

Should've seen that one coming about "girl's stuff"!!!!

OTH, the boots of my cars are kinda stuffed with "boy stuff"!!!!

Dear departed wifey hauled her "girl stuff" in a really heft purse. Loved urses, had a closet full!!!

Carl

Old 09-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Lnrb:
Should've seen that one coming about "girl's stuff"!!!!
Well, Yeah.
[...]
Dear departed wifey hauled her "girl stuff" in a really heft purse. Loved purses, had a closet full!!!

Carl
I may be a bit unusual in that I like to travel light. I don't like to haul a huge bag around with me. I have a small purse with ID, cash and a few necessities, but I really prefer to only carry my AMX card (has my picture) in a pocket and keys to whatever I'm driving at the moment (the rest I leave locked in the car). I can move quickly through the most crowded stores and not get hung up by a Giant bag catching on things.
(';')

Old 09-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Well, Yeah.I may be a bit unusual in that I like to travel light. I don't like to haul a huge bag around with me. I have a small purse with ID, cash and a few necessities, but I really prefer to only carry my AMX card (has my picture) in a pocket and keys to whatever I'm driving at the moment (the rest I leave locked in the car). I can move quickly through the most crowded stores and not get hung up by a Giant bag catching on things.
(';')
Very impressive! Now, Elinor I just can't resist this: Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is to try a "shop like a guy" exercise. Trust me, it'll be fun and leave you heaps of time to do other stuff...

Plan A - Turn on the computer; research the item you need; purchase online; have it delivered to your door.

Plan B - Should plan A fail and you are forced to leave your chair, proceed as follows:
1. Carefully determine which (one) store has the item you need before leaving home

2. Take shortest route to store, carrying only wallet, NO bags.

3. Enter store and take shortest route to said item, no stopovers or impulse buying permitted.

4. Purchase preferably at automated check-out, and get outta there exercising the same efficiency using the same direct route you're now familiar with

5. Drive directly home, stopping only for fuel or food if needed

Caveat: In the case of shopping for hardware and auto parts, Plan B may fall apart, and we never suggest/promise what time we might be home.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
Very impressive! Now, Elinor I just can't resist this: Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is to try a "shop like a guy" exercise. Trust me, it'll be fun and leave you heaps of time to do other stuff...

Plan A - Turn on the computer; research the item you need; purchase online; have it delivered to your door.
Did that just last evening, Tony! After a 10 minute search I found a DVD I was looking for at Overstock.com, who will in fact deliver said DVD to my door.

Plan B - Should plan A fail and you are forced to leave your chair, proceed as follows:
Didn't fail as related above.
1. Carefully determine which (one) store has the item you need before leaving home

2. Take shortest route to store, carrying only wallet, NO bags.

3. Enter store and take shortest route to said item, no stopovers or impulse buying permitted.

4. Purchase preferably at automated check-out, and get outta there exercising the same efficiency using the same direct route you're now familiar with

5. Drive directly home, stopping only for fuel or food if needed

Caveat: In the case of shopping for hardware and auto parts, Plan B may fall apart, and we never suggest/promise what time we might be home.

Good luck!
I do that at least once a week! The selected store is *usually* but not always, WalMart, to which I know the shortest route well (very near freeway exit), and has most of what I need at any given time. I only need my AMX card (which I carry in a pocket as related earlier) for any and all purchases.

Last week I was after shower clean and knew Exactly where it was: in, swiped card, out, 10 minutes max.

To COSTCO for gas, again only AMX card needed at automated pumps. Stop, fill, GET RECEIPT, go. 10 minutes depending how much gas needed, sometimes only 5 minutes.

From there it's 3 easy turns to the freeway and no stops until I pull into the driveway 25 miles later.

Mission accomplished.
(';')

Old 09-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Did that just last evening, Tony! After a 10 minute search I found a DVD I was looking for at Overstock.com, who will in fact deliver said DVD to my door.
Didn't fail as related above.
I do that at least once a week! The selected store is *usually* but not always, WalMart, to which I know the shortest route well (very near freeway exit), and has most of what I need at any given time. I only need my AMX card (which I carry in a pocket as related earlier) for any and all purchases.

Last week I was after shower clean and knew Exactly where it was: in, swiped card, out, 10 minutes max.

To COSTCO for gas, again only AMX card needed at automated pumps. Stop, fill, GET RECEIPT, go. 10 minutes depending how much gas needed, sometimes only 5 minutes.

From there it's 3 easy turns to the freeway and no stops until I pull into the driveway 25 miles later.

Mission accomplished.
(';')
Congratulations! Now Seriously impressed! (Plan A is so good isn't it?)

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

Gotta go 50 mile round trip to Walmart? The "local" one is about that distancve
from here. Been there once in umpteen years.

Now, HF is about the same distance, whole other story. When I go to see my Doc, it is n the vicinity, so I go there.

Seldom use cash or paper check. My debit card so much easier.

Yup. Focus on getting stuff, avoid the "impulse" displays.

Amazon and Rock Auto have a lot of my money...

Did get some Overstock stuff. Bed cover and linen. Pleased/

Carl ..

LnrB (09-28-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Default Well, It Seemed Like A Good Idea...

Ignore this.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 09-29-2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: New Information.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

A fantastic job Elinor, all that hard work has come to fruition! Well done!!!
Kind regards, Danny.

LnrB (09-29-2015)