XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Shards of metal in intake!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shards of metal in intake!!!!

Hello all once again i must ask the jaguar gurus for help as i am at a loss on this matter.

today i decided to check the air filter on the jag to see if it needed changing.
i opened up the air box and notice the filter was very dirty but also noted that there was a collection of metal shards laying on the bottom of the cylinder, i also noted that the filter was filled with metal dust... this was very worrying as i do not want this flowing into the engine.. after some investigation i realized that the shavings and dust was coming from the air pump.. this was confirmed when i started the car and was struck by a metal shaving when checking the air pump feed line to the air box.

this is ofcourse very worrying because not only does it feed the air box but it also feeds each cylinder independently.

i also noted that ever since i purchased the car the air pump has been very noisy and sounded like it was going out.

my main question is i realize that this is an emission device and wonder as i have no emission testing would it be ok to disable this pump until a replacement is located? or would the vehicles drive ability be effected.

i can take photos if necessary!

Thank you very much for all your help!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukeman
this was very worrying as i do not want this flowing into the engine..

The air filter will catch the bits.....

this is ofcourse very worrying because not only does it feed the air box but it also feeds each cylinder independently.

Well, not exactly. The air injection tubes are in the exhuast ports, not in the combustion chambers. Any shavings have likely been blown harmlessly into the exhaust seystem.

my main question is i realize that this is an emission device and wonder as i have no emission testing would it be ok to disable this pump until a replacement is located? or would the vehicles drive ability be effected.

People disable them all the time. No worries.

Cheers
DD