XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Small Electrical Projects

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 05:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Small Electrical Projects

Morning everyone! Newbie to the forums here, and equally fairly new Jaguar owner. I know my way around most aspects of a car and I've owned a handful of Jaguars in my young life so I understand they're complex vehicles and, like their animal counterparts, enjoy a fight every once in awhile. But still, ownership is like no other and I'm proud to be a part of it as well as a member of these forums! Can't wait to dive in and learn more!

Re the title, the long and short of it is I've picked up an 87 Xj6 which I'm currently using as my commuter. Again, not my first Series III but needs a bit of work as opposed to the showgirl family heirloom 82 Xj6. I've done all my basic maintenance save for a few bits and bobs that still need done, but I've got her mostly roadworthy save for a few caveats...

1.) Panel lighting - I've replaced my cluster lights and have them in good clean working order, and remarkably the fibre optic components are in good working order having been worked on by a previous owner. The only thing I can't for the life of me figure out is the little push switch bulbs (map, tank switcher button, etc.) on the dash under the trip computer. Do they just pry out or is there a certain procedure to remove them and access the bulbs and leads for cleaning? The repair manuals I have don't seem to mention them save for the little itty bitty bulb they use and I haven't found found much online. Any help is appreciated!

2.) Windshield wipers not working at all. I haven't really had a chance to dive into the guts of diagnosing it, but can anyone recommend the best method of diagnosing and tracking down the issue? I know the switches are a bit notorious, but outside of that I'm pretty much shot in the dark.

Any and all help is appreciated! Once again, I'm happy to be a part of the forums and I can't wait to learn new things and maybe even share a bit of my own knowledge!

Old 09-18-2020, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Rarity87

1.) Panel lighting - I've replaced my cluster lights and have them in good clean working order, and remarkably the fibre optic components are in good working order having been worked on by a previous owner. The only thing I can't for the life of me figure out is the little push switch bulbs (map, tank switcher button, etc.) on the dash under the trip computer. Do they just pry out or is there a certain procedure to remove them and access the bulbs and leads for cleaning? The repair manuals I have don't seem to mention them save for the little itty bitty bulb they use and I haven't found found much online. Any help is appreciated!
The push switches are held in place by two press-tabs. Squeeze the tabs and the switch will come away from the panel. If you have small hands you might be able to remove the trip computer and work through the hole. The trip computer is pulled out from the front; just get your fingernails under the edge and wriggle it out.

If that doesn't work out you have to partially remove the panel. Briefly, remove the climate control knobs and the shaft nuts you see once the knobs are removed. Remove the thin radio bezel if you have one. Wriggle the black radio/climate control panel away ....don't hurt the fibre optic cables ! Now you'll be able to see two screws above the radio. Remove them and the switch panel can be lowered away from the dash to access the push-push switches and bulbs

2.) Windshield wipers not working at all. I haven't really had a chance to dive into the guts of diagnosing it, but can anyone recommend the best method of diagnosing and tracking down the issue? I know the switches are a bit notorious, but outside of that I'm pretty much shot in the dark.
Check the fuse, naturally. But, yeah probably the switch. Switch failure is pretty common. For the heck of it you could try dousing the switch contacts with aerosol electric cleaner....hoping that some of it works its way inside. But usually the switch needs replacing.

There IS a repair procedure for the switch. I don't have the info readily available but I'm 99% sure that Jose does. When he sees this post he'll provide it.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-18-2020, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,463 Likes on 1,852 Posts

thanks Doug.

the stalk switch contacts and the wiring contacts lose contact, that is the reason the switch stops, particularly the black Ground wire.

if you remove the scuttle / knee panel under the dash, driver's side, and get your hand up and behind the switch where it meets with a plug coming from the main wiring harness, follow the switch's harness as near to the back of the switch as you can.

then with engine running, flip the switch to High speed and then wiggle the 7 or 8 wires at the back of the switch to see if you get a response, assuming the FUSE is ok.

if you do get a response, then the reason is the wire contacts are not making contact with the switch contacts. Typical failure.

the entire switch can be removed, its case rivets drilled and opened up, then by adding a piece of a credit card cut to fit perfectly and super glued inside the metal case part of the switch, this raises the contact area of the wire contacts making the switch work fine again. The credit card material is the perfect thickness needed and it is also very slippery so it doesn't make the stalk harder to move up and down. I've rebuilt many of these including my own. It is a very satisfying repair.

the hard part is closing the case again, you will need 3 hands! I use 2 clamps placed at the corners then I can use a vinyl strap to force both halves into place.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jose:
Doug (09-18-2020), Jag7651 (09-18-2020), JagCad (09-19-2020), LT1 jaguar (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose

the entire switch can be removed, its case rivets drilled and opened up, then by adding a piece of a credit card cut to fit perfectly and super glued inside the metal case part of the switch, this raises the contact area of the wire contacts making the switch work fine again. The credit card material is the perfect thickness needed and it is also very slippery so it doesn't make the stalk harder to move up and down. I've rebuilt many of these including my own. It is a very satisfying repair.

the hard part is closing the case again, you will need 3 hands! I use 2 clamps placed at the corners then I can use a vinyl strap to force both halves into place.
Do you have the pictorial of that? I remember it from years ago. I think it was one of the old JagTech articles

Cheers
DD

Old 09-18-2020, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Doug I think it was in a Nashville Jaguar Club newsletter. Will check.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

found !

pdf file attached below.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Jag7651 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

you cannot get to the bulbs at the 4 push-on, push-off switches without pulling the panel.

the switches have metal spring holders and even from behind, they are a pain to remove.
Very easy to damage the finish.

here's how the switches look, they are handed left and right and the bulb is at the center socket with a red wire and white stripe.

The following users liked this post:
Jag7651 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 612 Posts

Here's a picture of my panel when I had it out. Center section is bulb holder for adjacent switches and can be removed separately by removing two push retainers if needed. Switches are held just like Jose said and are a bast.... to remove.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

those 4 switches are a total p.i.t.a. to get to and remove.

makes you appreciate the delicate hand labor that went into assembling these cars without causing damages, they got more complicated as time went by.

compared to my 1965 S type which has a hinged panel that folds down and everything is there in front of you, the bulbs in these cars can be very difficult to service. The hinged fold down panel lasted until the Series 1 XJ. Then Series 2 and 3 got really complicated, except the Series 2 switches are "pullable" from the front. Not in the Series 3, they added those springy tabs and made the 4 switches into two pairs which make it impossible to pull each switch.

this is the one job I hate in my Series 3 XJ.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Thanks so much for the awesome insight guys! It's a huge help! I guess my plan of attack here is to work on the wipers first cuz, y'know, safety and legal reasons and then I'll try and tackle the joy that is those panel bulbs. I'll be sure to update progress!

Bit of an odd question: I did check the 35A fuse and it seemed OK, though it was the original Lucas brand so I went ahead and popped a new one in anyway and cleaned the fuse contacts with some electrical contact cleaner and a q-tip. Is there any real difference between an SFE fuse and an AGW fuse?

Old 09-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

The original Lucas fuses are under a different rating system than what we have in the 'States

Fuse Conversion Chart

Cheers
DD

Old 09-19-2020, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Do change (no just "check") the fuse FIRST. On one of my Series III cars I had inoperative wipers and went as far in investigation as the motor itself...it was the FUSE!

Old 09-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Aye, I put a meter on them if suspicious to check for continuity...

Carl