XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So not spending money is saving money??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 12:58 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts
Default So not spending money is saving money??

Hi Everyone,

I know that these pics are from an XJS, but my place is here so I posted them here as we face the same potential issue.

I was at a Jaguar parts place earlier today grabbing some stuff and this unfortunate example was tucked away down the back of the shop.

Apparently the owner had just spend a couple of thousand dollars on some work on this car but deemed that the unknown age of the fuel injection hoses would be OK as he had spend enough money already.

One let go whilst he was driving and sprayed pressurized fuel onto the hot engine.

Um, glad it wasn't me.

When I purchased my XJ6 three odd years ago, one of the first things I did was replace the fuel hoses as they did not look recently fitted and I didn't want to provoke a scenario like this.

Maybe not a bad time to go out to your garage / shed / carport and check the condition of your fuel injection hoses??

Cheers,

Nigel

The following 6 users liked this post by Jag-o-nomic:
Daf11e (07-27-2018), Doug (07-27-2018), Grant Francis (07-27-2018), LnrB (07-27-2018), o1xjr (07-28-2018), peter J (07-27-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2018, 05:44 AM
Received 10,475 Likes on 6,918 Posts

As we say over here:

"You can a horse to water, but you cannot make the b*&^ard drink".

Works every time.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Not always. Just filled Billy's water bucket. He walked over and tanked up. But, wants his treat. Sorry, Billy, it's your meds and you get them three times a week.

OUCH, that is one sad V12. Old hoses and wires !!!!!!

But, deep under the char, a sound long block lives....

Carl.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

A very good reminder. Also use only high pressure FI rated hoses and FI hose clamps.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Many people dont know what they dont know and arent really equipped to do a risk assessment and prioritise work.

If youre like that and also dont listen to advice then badness of some kind usually awaits.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 281 Posts

I carry a decent sized portable fire extinguisher in my trunk. I saved my beloved Mercedes 420SEL when some buried leaves sitting on top of a buried wire wound heat resister for the electric fans caught fire. I put it out in short order. Not without losing my A/C hoses however and it destroyed my evaporator. No way was I going to replace that under the dash! So I had to sell the car (need A/C in Florida). But at least it had sales value. It was a bad *** car though. I now daily drive a 1995 E320 and am quite happy with it.

Word to the wise - HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY ON YOUR BOAT, YOUR CARS AND YOUR HOUSE!

Old 07-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

After Clarke's adventure with Fireball, I acquired 3 such fire extinguishers, one for each vehicle.
Which reminds me; I need to get one for Trucklet, the newest member of the Fleet.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 07-28-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

1. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

2. Many decades ago, I was driving home from my office in LA"s Wilshire area. I came across a lady in distress. Lots of smoke coming out from under the hood of her car.
I popped the hood and saw it was electrics. I had the wrench to disconnect the battery. smoke stopped. She was most thankful. I did not have the heart to ell her that this was probably the end of her car.. It was an older car in fair condition....

Later, I learned that the fire dep't deals with this with bolt cutters!!! Cut the cable!!!!!

Time to check on my extinguishers...

Carl . ,

Old 07-28-2018, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Elinor:

1. The Carr wild far is well south of you, right ? On hearing of it, I had to watch carefully to see where it was. Shasta county, not Tehama!!!

2. A huge subject to be covered elsewhere. Global "warming". Climate change. the new "normal". Co2 depletion, etc.

3. Trucklet is an ATV??? Fair guess???

Carl .

Old 07-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
After Clarke's adventure with Fireball, I acquired 3 such fire extinguishers, one for each vehicle.
Which reminds me; I need to bet one for Trucklet, the newest member of the Fleet.
(';')
What is $50 here and there, I know what a fire cost me and not even from a fuel line. They were replaced in good time too.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:56 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

This was a cheap fire, it was contained under the car and mostly in the removeable IRS. But still a couple of grand and many hours work to fix.
A touch scary having a fire under a fuel tank.

Cary An Extinguisher

Old 07-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Elinor:

1. The Carr wild far is well south of you, right ? On hearing of it, I had to watch carefully to see where it was. Shasta county, not Tehama!!!

2. A huge subject to be covered elsewhere. Global "warming". Climate change. the new "normal". Co2 depletion, etc.

3. Trucklet is an ATV??? Fair guess???

Carl .

Thank you for your concern, Carl.
The Carr fire is actually to the North of us, but not by much anymore. Last night it was lapping at buildings in Redding proper! Stats are 500 structures have been destroyed so far.The valley is filled with smoke as far south as Modesto. Here, only 40 miles South of Redding, smoke is quite thick and the sun comes up a beautiful shade of cerise, goes down a lovely shade of orange.

This surprises me a bit because Right Here we have had no wind for 2 days. Although Redding is fairly close to us by road, the terrain and elevation are Vastly different.

About Trucklet, the newest member of the fleet;

2003 Subaru Baja. He came to live with us in June after some marathon negotiation.
To this point he got:
new brakes all around
new rear struts
new left inner tie rod
new left and right front axles
replacement right door mirror.
Next he's gonna get new rear upper A-arms complete with bushings.

He's already earning his keep. Took a load of hazardous waste to the collection facility this morning.
Good Boy!
(';')

Old 07-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Got my geography mixed up. should have looked. But, glad you both are safe.

Sure missed on my guess. Never heard of that variety. A bit on the OZ Ute design.

Nice acquisition. A two edge sword? good to dispose of stuff that isn't needed or wanted. But, also to get stuff that may be needed or wanted at the time.

I've been intrigued by the moon in the pre dawn as Coco and I take our first stroll.

Usually circa 5 AM.

Won a small battle. My cell went dud. Convinced ATT to honor the warranty. Got a replacement by mail. But counseled to go to the ATT store to activate it. Ugh,. downtown WC. Parking Rare and not cheap. Lucky!!! Spot in front of the store. I there ten minutes before opening!! Friendly fellow swapped in my SIMS and battery and lit it up. Tested. Chose a noisier ring tone. I'm back in business.

Did not tell my kids. they would've flipped!!

Carl,

Old 07-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Which reminds me; I need to get one for Trucklet, the newest member of the Fleet.
(';')
Ahh, thats funny. I did the same thing. One in each of the old cars and one at each end of the garage now. Clarke did the fire extinguisher industry a favour apparently :-)

o1xjr (08-03-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by moronthethrottle
A very good reminder. Also use only high pressure FI rated hoses and FI hose clamps.
there are no clamps at all used on the V12 fuel hoses....they are a press fit over the barbs on the injectors and a press fit on the fuel rail outlets. The fuel rail sits on top so there is no issue of the hoses coming off. Mechanics, not knowing this, (often)
use fuel clamps thus creating the very problem (leaks) they are attempting to avoid. Tightening a clamp over the injector barbs tends to cut through the fuel hose. In assessing the fuel hose condition a very easy method is to attempt to squeeze the two curved hoses at the front of the rails; if they are not pliable the hoses should be replaced NOW. Fires on the V12 cars are invariably caused by neglecting maintenance.

Grant Francis (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 08:23 PM
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

The Carr fire is actually to the North of us, but not by much anymore. Last night it was lapping at buildings in Redding proper! Stats are 500 structures have been destroyed so far.The valley is filled with smoke as far south as Modesto. Here, only 40 miles South of Redding, smoke is quite thick and the sun comes up a beautiful shade of cerise, goes down a lovely shade of orange.

This surprises me a bit because Right Here we have had no wind for 2 days. Although Redding is fairly close to us by road, the terrain and elevation are Vastly different.

2003 Subaru Baja. He came to live with us in June after some marathon negotiation.
To this point he got:
new brakes all around
new rear struts
new left inner tie rod

He's already earning his keep. Took a load of hazardous waste to the collection facility this morning.
Good Boy!
(';')
Glad to hear you're all safe! Although I now live in Virginia, I grew up in Butte County (Chico/Paradise). Still have family in that area, so get out there every couple of years. Hope they get that fie under control asap!

Jeff

LnrB (07-31-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

To this point he got:
new brakes all around
new rear struts
new left inner tie rod

Good Boy!
(';')
Subie should go approximately forever given good care, which seems to be how you guys roll.

LnrB (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Steve,
We do sort of specialize in Rescue Vehicles, don't we.
Trucklet did Not get good care from his just Previous Owner! I've never dealt with such a ditsy broad! I'm surprised she could deal with the 5-speed manual trans! (Oh, he's fun to drive!! Not fast, not quick, but just plain FUN!)
I have her full service history, new rebuilt engine 2 years ago soon after she bought it, but she let this engine run so low on oil that the dealer scrawled a big warning on the bottom of the service sheet:
"CUSTOMER NEEDS TO CHECK OIL LEVEL REGULARLY! BARELY SHOWING ON DIP STICK!"
I knew pretty much Exactly what I was buying. But he's just so off-the-charts Cute!!

EDIT: Trucklet now has his very own fire extinguisher within easy reach of driver or passenger.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 08-03-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

I don't get how one can run a car til the oil level is no longer there. Asphalt,yeah, I'e seen and heard of that.

But, it does bring back days of my college job at a full service station. when we added 3 or 4 quarts to a 5 quart system, we called them "driveway oil changes".

Early on my dad taught us the army way. Sat AM. Morning stables. His horse and mule back ground. Tire pressures, and fluids. In those days, just radiator, oil and master cylinder. the latter not like today's cars. It meant lifting the rubber mat in front of the driver seat and prying off a cover and the a wrench for the cap.

Carl .

Old 08-03-2018, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
I don't get how one can run a car til the oil level is no longer there.
That woman Never Checked ANYTHING! I'm sure she drove it till the oil light came on and then drove quite mystified to her favorite station for assistance.
But, it does bring back days of my college job at a full service station. when we added 3 or 4 quarts to a 5 quart system, we called them "driveway oil changes".
Trucklet does have a leak of Astonishing proportions. But as I told her, driving a Jag I'm used to cars that mark their territory.

Early on my dad taught us the army way. Sat AM. Morning stables. His horse and mule back ground. Tire pressures, and fluids. In those days, just radiator, oil and master cylinder. the latter not like today's cars. It meant lifting the rubber mat in front of the driver seat and prying off a cover and the a wrench for the cap.
Carl .
Growing up on the farm, mornings were very similar before starting Any vehicle. Old habits die hard.
(';')