XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo and Tach for a Series II

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speedo and Tach for a Series II

I bought a few of the Speedos and Tachs a few years ago for a custom dash I was building in a Chevy Van.

I got both mechanical and electric Speedos and matching tachs.

Well I moved up to a newer chevy van and found it have no spededo cable drive and it also electric, so I have no use for the mechanical speedo and matching tachs.

Looking them over it seems I got a couple of either NOS or rebuild Speedos, as the Odometer read 1 and 2 miles total, and the casings look brand new and some of the holes have tape over them.

Like this:

and this:

And a close up of the two new looking ones, note I spotted that one speedo and one tach had black rings instead of the silver edging so I switch them to be a matched pair.

So what was a tach with tape over the holes to the far right is now center..OK?

OK I am thinking of putting these on eBay.

Looking at what is there now, rusty and worn out speedo units selling for $40.00 to $60.00 I feel these are well worth $100.00 for the two new looking ones and say $75.00 for the other one.

The Tachs also seem to run around $40.00 each and they were in so so shape, so I think the two new looking ones should go for $75.00 and the last one $50.00.

What do you think??

Rich

PS I also have some cable driven VSS senders and one Jag straight VSS sender that runs off a speedo gear.

And a idiot center light panel, note this is a early one with no check engine light.

And I might have a couple of the small gauges, if they did up and down facing gauges...

These:

Attached Thumbnails Speedo and Tach for a Series II-jaguargauges003rac_zps80f48d48.jpg   Speedo and Tach for a Series II-jaguargauges004rac_zps182f2902.jpg   Speedo and Tach for a Series II-jaguargauges005rac_zps9f85625c.jpg   Speedo and Tach for a Series II-jaguargauges006rac_zps3070ec2e.jpg  

Last edited by racprops; 01-11-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do these work with Chevy transpant and 1971 series 1?

Old 01-12-2014, 03:45 PM

I did learn how to convert the Tach to run off a 8 cylinder, but I never got around to rigging up a Speedo.

I was working on a 78 Chevy Van but gave up on it and bought a 93 Custom van.

Converting a electric speedo is much easier with VSS conversion hardware.

With the mechanical speedo there is the problem of matching the RPM of the drive cable to the speedo input adn the correct drive gear in the tranny for the rear end's gears.

As for series 1 I don't know.

Here is the current dash in the Van.

I hope to switch to a Jag 140 MPH Speedo and a newer matching Tach.

Originally Posted by V81971
Do these work with Chevy transpant and 1971 series 1?

Attached Thumbnails Speedo and Tach for a Series II-centerconsoleinstall018_zps0eb4d573.jpg  

Last edited by racprops; 01-12-2014 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
V81971 (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:15 PM

By the way here is instructions on converting a SJ6 tach to read on a V8.

This came from this site:

Tachometer Mod for V-8 Conversion...

I am sharing it as it took about 10 minutes to load on a high speed 40gb cable system..

Step 2: Install resistor(s) to reduce speed indication.
Locate the two black wires that are soldered from the circuit board to the meter movement. Carefully cut one of these wires leaving at least 1/8" of the wire protruding through the circuit board. Using needle-nose pliers, remove the insulation from the section still attached to the circuit board. With a razor knife, strip the insulation back on the other section about 1/8". Obtain a 220 ohm 1/4 watt and a 47 ohm 1/4 watt resistor. These are available at any Radio shack or electronics parts house for a few cents. With a small soldering iron, tin the section of wire protruding through the circuit board and the stripped end of the wire coming from the movement. Cut all but 1/8" of the lead from both resistors and solder them in series with each-other. Tin the ends of the resistor assembly and solder one end to the wire protruding from the circuit board and the other end to the meter movement wire. It might help to arrange the resistors in a 90 deg bend. Apply a dab of silicone, hot glue or other non-conductive adhesive to the resistors and circuit board to prevent vibration.

Step 3: Reassemble the tach.
Locate the two rubber tube sections around the indicator lamp lenses as they were when removed. Position the tach movement in the housing and replace the screws and aluminum retainer (actually a grounding nut). Carefully position the fascia on the front of the housing and place the unit face down on a firm surface covered with a soft rag. Using a blunt object or punch, carefully, BY HAND, bend the retaining lip back into position, working your way around the unit. A permanent black marker will mask any scratches in the fascia ring.

Re-install the unit and enjoy a correct reading.
Please note: the XJ-S and some earlier XJ-6 tachometers will require a 330 ohm 1/4 watt resistor instead of the 267 ohm combo mentioned above. A prudent test would be to use an inductive tach to measure engine speed and verify that your modification is correct.

Attached Thumbnails Speedo and Tach for a Series II-tachmod.gif  
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Well as there has been no interest in buying these I will move on to other Jag sites and eBay.

Rich

Old 01-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default speedo

Originally Posted by racprops
Well as there has been no interest in buying these I will move on to other Jag sites and eBay.

Rich
Can you email me dcxfire@live.com thanks

Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 AM

OK These are now on eBay if anyone is interested kook here to start:

Jaguar for A Series II SK Jaguar Around 1976 Speedometer | eBay

To see others Jag parts check my "Other Items".

Rich