XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,454 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Default RE: steering rack

the first time is the hardest. the worst is removing and reinstalling the power steering hose fittings. Centering the rack requires a pointed tool like an ice pick or awl, you remove the little set screw or hole cover, then insert the awl or ice pick or a very small phillips screwdriver in the hole until it goes through by moving the tie rod one way or the other.

I would recommend ordering the poly bushing kit from John's Cars and following the instructions to the letter, including installing the bracket-shield on the left mounting. This kit eliminates the side-to-side movement of the rack under load which is a known issue, you will appreciate the difference in steering response.

http://www.johnscars.com

but most of all, raising and supporting the car is themost importantpart. these cars are extremely heavy and that is the most critical part of the job, making sure it doesn't collapse on you while you're under it. I added jacks under each jacking point and then placed concrete blocks in their vertical position under each front tire, transmission in park, and a wedge behind each rear tire. Hey, it's never enough. I also kept my cellular phone near me all the time! [sm=goodidea.gif]

Jose

Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Jose, I spoke with John prior to doing my bushings, while ordering the bush removal tool, which makes the job much easier. I thought about buying the bracket you spoke of, because there are mixed feelings about the necessity of it. Jaguar put a similar item in for ease of installation. John designed his for the same reason, and recommends using large washers as spacers. Thats what he talked me into, sending extra washers along with the removal tool. Also, I didn't remove the power steering hoses, just lowered the rack, worked fine. Possible to damage the lines I suppose, if not careful. Keith.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

John is a hoot! Ask him about trains and he will never stop talking!

The poly bushings are very common. We sell the set for $35. You don't need any special tools. Save the money. The bushings come with all required washers, etc.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The tool I bought was the bushing removal tool. One can be made using a couple of sockets and some allthread and nuts, but I opted for the $25.00 one from Johns. Good quality, and eases the job alot. Wanted this done quick, laying under the car in the heat and humidity here in Arkansas is no fun. Have heard of others cutting the bushes out with hacksaws, maybe even drillling with drill bits, but very time consumming. The removal tool made it so easy and quick. I used the poly bushes as well, much better than the original, and should last years longer. A couple of washers for each location, and your good.