XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Steering wheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel replacement

Hey all,

I don't know much about steering wheels, but I'm looking to change steering wheels on my 86 XJ6, does sizing matter or something like that? Any recommendations on a cool vintage steering wheel?

Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,375 Likes on 802 Posts
Default steering wheels

Google nardi and moto-lita. These are the two classic wood wheels many people like. Prepare your self for some sticker shock...they are pricey.

I have a Moto-lita, it fits perfectly and looks right.

The following users liked this post:
RobertTheBloke (10-09-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another option is the "sport" steering wheel that was fitted to US market XJS cars during the '90s. Rim is a bit thicker and much nicer on long drives.

RobertTheBloke (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

FYI: the sport steering wheel was fitted to 89 xjs models and 89-92 xj12 series III models. The 90 xjs was the first year for the airbag equipped steering wheel. The airbag steering wheels will fit, however you will lose horn and will have to manually return your turn signal.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 246 Likes on 148 Posts

Got a Momo Zebrano on my XJ6 VDP love it!

Last edited by alynmurray; 01-07-2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: forgot pic
Old 01-07-2014, 05:28 PM

Picture of Momo Zebrano in my car

Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel replacement-momo.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by alynmurray:
DrTom (06-10-2022), Jahmiata (06-22-2022)
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Moto-Lita and love the look. Though one con is that the wheel itself is thin and don't get great grip.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Tastes vary, of course.

IMHO the classic style wood Nardi is a great match for the 'olde world' style of the interior. I had one in my XJ6.

I had a MotoLita in my XJS. Nice wheel...but I liked the Nardi better.

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel replacement-jag-xj6-007-2-.jpg   Steering wheel replacement-xjs-left-interior.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Default Buying a new steering wheel ...considerations

When I was doing "steering wheel replacement" research and trying to decide what I wanted in a new steering wheel, I realized that I would have to decide on some specific parameters in order to live peacefully with the new wheel.

After all, whenever you get into the car, one of the first things you interact with, is the steering wheel., and you keep in contact with it for the duration of your stay. But I did not want it to be the instant focus of attention when I opened the car door. I wanted it to appear that it was factory original not an add on that was not of the same "look" as the rest of the interior.

So how do you want the thing to feel ? The factory version is (for me) too thin and of too large a diameter. Been referred to as a "bus" wheel.

I wanted a wheel that would be a lot thicker. I have larger hands - (I have been told - they look normal to me). But that sums it up,.. everyone is different.

The factory one is black and "matches" the trim on the dash - gauge rims , vents, switches etc. all black.

But I wanted a "wood" wheel and I wanted it to blend in so that it matched the "color / hue" of the large wood surfaces on the dash as close as possible.

That meant no light colored wood wheels.

So far I wanted a smaller, thicker rim wheel made of a darker wood..

As I had just refurbished and restained the VDP dash to a dark burl appearance - I wanted a wheel with dark wood that closely blended in to the interior overall look,- dark wood. Subtle.

I wanted a wheel that did not yell "look at me" - "I am the new aftermarket steering wheel, and I am taking up residence right in front of you -forever..." !!!

Rather I wanted to "discover" the wheel when first laying hands on it, then take a closer look/grip and realize how really nice it looks/feels.

A lot people have asked me if they could "sit in your Jag for a minute?" and when they do, most remark "and I really like this steering wheel"

Its an afterthought - they don't really notice it at first but after glancing around the interior - they "discover" it. That's what I wanted...

Another concern was - how far are the "stalks" from the ends of my fingers - if my hands are resting on the wheel. Does it have excessive "dish" Do you have long fingers? Does it not matter to you? Do you realize that the adapter will add distance to the space between the turn signal stalk and the face of the steering wheel rim.

So my search ended up at the Momo line of wheels and what they offered at the time. I bought the Zebrano wood style,.. as of 2012 "out of production"

Finding a proper horn button was a chore - again out of production - got lucky and found some new old stock in Europe. What would we do without the internet search abilities?

Sure it costs a few more bucks... over the clear plastic wheels with embedded snowflakes ..etc., but how many times are you going to buy that most important connection of you, to your Jag - the steering wheel?

Last edited by alynmurray; 01-08-2014 at 09:34 AM.
micdev42 (03-19-2024)
Old 06-10-2022, 04:02 PM

So what's the wheel and where did you get it ?
I am looking pretty much for the same.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,862 Posts

the original steering wheel is almost 17" inches in diameter. Aftermarket wheels will be 15" inches or smaller.

anything smaller than 15" will be uncomfortable and steering the car will be heavy.

the ideal size is 15 and a half inches diameter but nobody makes such a size.

there is a nice line of wheels in wood or black leather with thick grip, sold at Moss Motors. All are 15" inch diameter. Excellent quality. Medium priced. And they have the hub kit too.

All hubs made are too long and they will cause the stalk switches to be far from the steering wheel, A problem I have not tackled but would like to solve.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:34 AM
Received 223 Likes on 121 Posts

This is what I did. 15.5 inch Nardi with black anodised slightly dished spokes. The supplied hub placed it about 1 inch further back, which I can live comfortably with. Horn button from ebay. Rim ia approx 1 inch in diameter. Very comfortable. Ian.

The following 2 users liked this post by iramphal:
Jose (06-11-2022), Mkii250 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

very nice Iramphal. What I avoided with mine were the spokes interfering with the line-of-sight visibility of the gauges because of the "Y" shaped spokes at 10 pm and 2 pm.

instead I found that MOMO steering wheel spokes are at 8 pm and 4 pm, ( like a 1960's Peace sign), allowing for full visibility of the gauges.

Last edited by Jose; 06-11-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
the original steering wheel is almost 17" inches in diameter. Aftermarket wheels will be 15" inches or smaller.

anything smaller than 15" will be uncomfortable and steering the car will be heavy.

the ideal size is 15 and a half inches diameter but nobody makes such a size.

there is a nice line of wheels in wood or black leather with thick grip, sold at Moss Motors. All are 15" inch diameter. Excellent quality. Medium priced. And they have the hub kit too.

All hubs made are too long and they will cause the stalk switches to be far from the steering wheel, A problem I have not tackled but would like to solve.
Thanks Jose,
I don't know about the "hubs", but I will certainly look at Moss's options.
Tom

Old 06-13-2022, 08:31 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

The hubs are application specific so be sure to get one that fits your car as well as the steering wheel itself. Note: the hubs sometimes cost as much as the wheel. My original equipment series III steering wheel measures 15.75 inches in diameter and my turn signal lever is a whopping 5 inches from the bottom of the wheel. My fingers definitely are not that long.

Jeff

Old 06-13-2022, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Jeff, XJ factory steering wheels are 16 and 7/8" inch diameter, (17"). Are you sure yours measures 15.75" inches?

I think if I cut 1" inch or more from the end of the replacement hub or "boss", then I resolve the issue of the distance to the switches from the wheel.

If I measure the hub length of the original steering wheel and compare it to the length of the replacement hub, they are identical, so I don't understand why the replacement hub ends up so far from the switches.

I have 2 Momo 15" steering wheels and hubs for my XJ and they both cause the same distance issue which does not happen with the original steering wheel.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:49 PM
Received 215 Likes on 114 Posts

My Series III has the original steering wheel and it is also 15 3/4” diameter. The indicator and wiper stalks are 2 3/4” from the rim, which is just right.

My steering wheel is wood veneer but the veneer has cracked so I have covered it with black leather. I put some thin foam padding beneath the leather so its now a bit thicker than a regular leather covered wheel would be.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

1. I am perfect;y happy with the wheel on my 83. Asit left Coventry is just fne.

2/ I like the larger diameter "bus" wheels.

I watch bus grease Money at ties on You Tube. NO Ps on the early buses11
The old pro's have a distinct motion in making s turn. The shoulders are involved. U nique. jr.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:38 PM

Hi Ian,
Which parameters of the hub?

Old 07-16-2022, 03:40 PM

I found this one. How many splines do we have?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel replacement