XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Steering wheel upgrade on my 82 XJ6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
I had one like the one you were looking at.... sold it. Too hot to touch
when the car had been sitting in the sun.

Got a all wood three spoke one from Grant, you can choose your own center cap, love the smaller OD as the stock "school bus" sized wheels are too large.
So Grant has a hub kit for this wheel?

Old 12-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Alyn, believe me I considered doing exactly what you did but didn't because... I have all the original steering wheels of every car I've ever owned starting with a 1969 MG-B, then a 1971 Volvo 1800-E, then a 1973 Volvo 1800-ES, then a 1979 Saab 900 Turbo, then a 1984 Jaguar XJ-6, then a 1965 Jaguar S type, all their steering wheels replaced and in like new condition, so you can see why I did not want to sacrifice the XJ-6 wheel. The best steering wheel I've ever had my hands on, is the Saab 900 wheel, though the car was a nightmare.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:39 AM
Received 246 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Steering Wheel

That's quite a collection of steering wheels you have there Jose...(glad I did not keep all the steering wheels from my past cars as storage would be a big problem.) ..however if you trot over to EBAY, you can find all the used Jag parts you want for cheap.

Who wants to bid on old Jag steering wheels ? - no one .

So keep your originals and visit EBAY where for 5 bucks and cost of shipping you can have a Jaguar original steering wheel base to use..(.its only going to recycling anyways) ...so you might as well be the "recycler" and make better use of it.

The following users liked this post:
Jose (01-02-2016)
Old 12-31-2015, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alynmurray
That's quite a collection of steering wheels you have there Jose...(glad I did not keep all the steering wheels from my past cars as storage would be a big problem.) ..however if you trot over to EBAY, you can find all the used Jag parts you want for cheap. Who wants to bid on old Jag steering wheels ? - no one . So keep your originals and visit EBAY where for 5 bucks and cost of shipping you can have a Jaguar original steering wheel base to use..(.its only going to recycling anyways) ...so you might as well be the "recycler" and make better use of it.
going to photograph them to show off

can't find the two Volvo wheels, I know they are boxed somewhere in a mountain of boxes!!

going to contact David at Everyday XJ about a used XJ wheel, but would appreciate some pictures of how you did yours. Thanks!

Happy New Year!!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jose, you should build a rack for those steering wheels. Maybe something like a coat rack. Maybe a piece of muffler pipe with smaller pieces of muffler pipe for the wheel mounts. Use a larger diameter steering wheel from a 50's era car turned upside down for the stand. A trophy shop can make very small plaques with the year, make, and model of each vehicle so you can put it with each wheel. Plaques are very inexpensive. Be a neat display piece.

The following users liked this post:
Jose (01-02-2016)
Old 12-31-2015, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Warlock:

Given the three choices you had, I'd opt for a bare center, sans wood or leather.

Jose: yeah, wrong part. It makes it easier. But, shaving off a half inch a better tool would be an end mill. short work for a pro machinist. The question does remains as to whether there is enough material remaining to assure permanent mating between hub and shaft. Especialy if the hub is anything less than steel. Alloy???

Roger: I prefer the school bus wheel dimensions. Just habit, I know...

Alyn: Slick indeed. In my project before the Jaguar, I wanted a "sportier" wheel to mate to the Model A Ford steering box shaft. I had a badly detiorated Model A steering wheel. I whacked off the old hard rubber til I came to a slick "spider" in the center. I cut out an alloy adapter and mated what was touted to be an old Jaguar wheel.
Flat drilled metal with a thin fabric covered rim. It had been secured to a hub by screws. A Jaguar owner was delighted to get the hub.

My roadster got a "different" wheel.

Up, in my shop rafters is a 'banjo" wheel of unknown etiology, I wonder????

Naah, not Jaguar appropriate.

Carl

Old 12-31-2015, 07:59 AM
Default steering wheels

When I referenced EBAY I really should have recommended David at Everydayxj...he is the best !! (sorry David, getting to be a bit absent minded at times) .

Have always had excellent experiences buying parts from David (as many others have) I am sure that as time goes by, he will be an even more valuable source for the XJ community.

The following 3 users liked this post by alynmurray:
davidboger (01-05-2016), Doug (01-13-2016), Jose (01-02-2016)
Old 12-31-2015, 08:24 AM
Default Steering wheel

Jose I don't think I can get pictures of it as it buried under a rubber shroud.
Basically I hacked out the middle of the old wheel, trimmed it to fit the column (cut off spokes) I think I used the Momo adapter for a pattern of where the screw holes had to be drilled on the base. I drilled and tapped it to use the same Momo screws....the Momo adapter came with a ribbed rubber cover - like a bellows,..It was loo long ,..so I cut it down to size and it gives the steering wheel to column location and nice finished look. So you can not see the adapter.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:06 PM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
For wood wheels my favorite remains the classic Nardi wheel as seen in the pic of my 1987 Series III. Nice ones come up on Ebay for $100-$200 BUT the tricky part is getting a Jaguar mounting hub....not always easy to find and might put you over budget.

Cheers
DD
Doug, did you paint that Nardi black or did it come like that? I think the metal finished spokes while great on an XJS or sporty car, don't suit the XJ sedan, the black ones keep the character of the car.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWarlock
Doug, did you paint that Nardi black or did it come like that? I think the metal finished spokes while great on an XJS or sporty car, don't suit the XJ sedan, the black ones keep the character of the car.
I believe I saw that wheel with black spokes in a Nardi catalog but I defer to Doug's hands on report.

Another question for Doug: What is the diameter (mm.) of the wheel in your car?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Hatrod,. I have thought about that for years, but I could never figure how to attach them to a display ! Someone told me to use soft wood dowels as shafts and press or hammer them into the spline, but I never did it. Maybe this year !

Old 01-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,978 Likes on 7,211 Posts

It came that way. I agree that the black looks good in this application. More towards understatement than bling.

I think the diameter was 14"....but I can't quite remember. Sold the car a few years ago.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a pic of a MotoLita wood wheel on my old XJS. Nice wheel, but nothin' like a Nardi

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel upgrade on my 82 XJ6?-xjs-left-interior.jpg  
Old 01-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Here's a pic of a MotoLita wood wheel on my old XJS. Nice wheel, but nothin' like a Nardi

Cheers
DD
Next question - Where did you get that Jaguar decal on the rear window?

Old 01-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by k9american
Next question - Where did you get that Jaguar decal on the rear window?

Oh, man, I forgot about those. I thought they were a nice added touch. I bought several on Ebay.....it was 10-12 years ago. I reckon somebody out there is still making them

Cheers
DD

Old 01-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Carl, I checked today and the Momo hub is one solid mass with a splined center while the Jaguar hub has a hollow-skirted area before the spline, -see picture-. Alyn is right, the Jaguar hub is better because it was designed for the adjustable aka telescoping steering columm of the XJ and all other Jaguar since 1955 if not earlier. The aftermarket Hubs don't let the steering wheels in both the XJ and the S type go all the way down or forward. Happy 2016 !

Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel upgrade on my 82 XJ6?-02-1984-jaguar-xj6-steering-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 01-02-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with that, aluminum spokes not for luxury sedans. That is why I went with black anonized spokes for my 1965 S type, the grandfather of the XJ, -picture below- but I am still not sold with the Y orientation of the left and right spokes, pointing to 10 and 2 o'clock, they block the tach and speedo. They should be oriented to 8 and 4 o'clock, more like a Peace sign. I went ahead and purchased the wood Momo that David Boger posted in this thread since noone else bought it and it has the orientation that I want. It should work fine in the S type, if not I'm going to be eating a wood steering wheel for a while

Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel upgrade on my 82 XJ6?-s-type-interior.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 01-02-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Jose:

I plumb forgot the in and out feature of the cars. Mine has been set for over a decade. Actually, as I now recall, I had to use a strap wrench to
free the collar! Same to set it securely.

I never mess with the tilt feature in my Jeep, either.

Way back when I lived and worked in a really hot clime like, Hafrod,
I covered the seat with a towel and another for the steering wheel!!!
When parked in the sun for any length of time.

Never wore shorts.... Cooked or frozen backside never appealed to me...

Carl.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Carl, do you mean those rubber strap wrenches used for opening jars, for plumbing, etc.? Yes they are perfect for loosening the scalloped wheel behind the steering wheel when it has been overtightened. Two of those can also be used to separate exhaust pipes and mufflers from each other, to loosen or tighten oil filters...ad infinitum

Last edited by Jose; 01-03-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Lecarra

Sorry for such a large picture -

Last edited by smith356; 01-03-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: no message

Quick Reply: Steering wheel upgrade on my 82 XJ6?