XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Sunroof help 82 xj6

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof help 82 xj6

hi I've been meddling with my 1982 jaguar xj6 the sunroof is about 2 inches from closed and it won't move easily at all even with the motor fully disconnected and cables out the cables won't move freely im afraid its been welded by rust if anyone can help please let me know otherwise my dads gonna send it to the scrapper (grandfathers past car)

Old 10-02-2020, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 620 Posts

Will the sunroof move forward enough to remove outer panel, the one with the cars color. It removes by removing 4 screws along the very front of the inner sliding panel, that's the one that has the headliner material on it. When those are removed, the front of the outer panel can be lifted an inch or two and pulled straight toward the front of the car. But in order for this to work, the sunroof needs to be nearly closed so that the front of the outer panel can be lifted enough. If it is about 2" from closed, that might be enough.

When you get the outer panel out, can you slide the inner panel (one with headliner material) towards the rear? If you can slide it back within about 3-4" of full open, you will see a black nylon wedge thingy on each side and two nuts/studs beside them. Push the black wedges to the rear with a screw driver, but tuck a rag behind them first to prevent them shooting off down the sunroof housing.......that will be a completely different story.

When you remove the two nuts on each side, the cables can be lifted free of the inner panel. Now test....can you move the inner panel more easily? Grab the ends of the cables.......do they move freely (they have to be disconnected from the drive motor first)? You should be able to figure out which of the parts is causing the problem.

Ultimately what needs to happen is that the cables need to come out (from sunroof end) and be cleaned and greased. Rails on sliding panel should also be inspected and dirt and crud wiped off as best as possible.

If you don't have one, a Jaguar shop manual is probably the first thing you should get. I believe there is a down load on this forum and one of the members also has it on his website, his name is Jose.

Good luck

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Jose (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,861 Posts

something is preventing the inner sunroof moving panel from sliding back.

he can't remove the 4 screws at the front of the sunroof because the entire sunroof will not move back enough to unscrew those 4 screws, so removal of the outer panel is not possible the way it is stuck.

I am wondering if there is a tool stuck in there preventing movement.

the only solution is to remove the headliner, and that by itself is not an easy job. The headliner pad will come out through the rear door, no need to remove the windshield glass, but it requires a lot of disassembly inside the cabin.

then, and only then, can the inner sliding sunroof assembly be unbolted and lowered.

I recommend removing the steering wheel,and the front seats too, as it is easy to cause damage to trim when lowering the inner sunroof. A rubber cap needs to be placed over the steering wheel splined shaft after removing the steering wheel.

this is not an easy job, it requires patience. The Service Manual does not provide enough servicing info. This is a learn-as-you-go job.

Where is the car located ? Have you contacted the local Jaguar Club for help?

Old 10-02-2020, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its located in GTA in Ontario Canada I dont know of any nearby jag clubs but I really appreciate the info guys i think next weekend I'll try and go for a full disassembly of the system

Old 10-02-2020, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,861 Posts

best to start by removing all the seats, front and back, to be able to work comfortably.

then throw a thick blanket over the entire floor and center console to protect the carpeting and center console. The black finishing trim on the sides over the windows is pulled off. you need to find where the clips are by running a string behind the trim until you hit a stop, then pull it.

you might have to pull down the top of door openings draft excluders to pull the side trim.

the rearview mirror is pulled with a quick strong pull towards the rear. Sometimes the bracket behind it breaks., sometimes not.

if you need the Service Manual sections, download them free from my website:

www.jagupgrades.webstarts.com

Old 10-02-2020, 08:42 PM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

im afraid its been welded by rust if anyone can help please let me know otherwise my dads gonna send it to the scrapper (grandfathers past car)[/QUOTE]

you mean your dad will take the whole car to the scrapper?

Old 10-03-2020, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 620 Posts

Without seeing your car, I'm only guessing that if you are concerned with making the sunroof operational, it must be worth reviving to some level. I would agree with Mike, taking it to the scrapper seems extreme. If it has no future with you or your Dad, surely someone would be interested in various parts that are still serviceable.

Good luck.

Dave

Old 10-03-2020, 04:24 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

I would be interest to have the whole car to give her a lovely and a caring home in Africa.
Inbox me some photos and your price, if affordable, i will rescue her from the scrapper's destruction.