XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Tappet guide help + misc

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tappet guide help + misc

Hi all,

I am a brand new member and happy owner of a beautiful 83 XJ6 SIII Vanden Plas (see pics). There are a few issues that need addressing - I encourage anyone to take a quick look and let me know your feedback. I definitely need some expert advise and a good mechanic preferably nearby. The car was super affordable, but after new tires, new battery, alternator rebuilt, master brake cylinder replaced (was leaking), a replaced relay for the head lamps, I am eager for a light at the end of the tunnel

-I noticed a ticking in the engine and bought a tappet holddown kit from Coventry West. I wasn't confident enough to install it myself but was quoted $300 - when they opened it up they found that the 3rd and 4th tappet guide / bores were chipped around the lip and had raised too high for the tappet guides. Several small pieces were removed, but the cylinders do not appear to have completely failed. The mechanic did not feel confident enough to proceed and just closed it back up (charged 30 minutes for labor), but I have reached out to Jagpro and I may ask them to have a look in the next week. I have been researching and many suggest knocking the tappet guide back into place before installing the kit. I am concerned that the level of wear and chipping may not allow the tappet holddown to function properly, or that if I attempt to hammer the tappet guide back into place that it may crack. When is "too late"? As a plan B, I was quoted at ~$600 to remove and replace the damaged tappet guide - what does this entail and what are the risks?

-there is a wobble at ~35mph - no big deal but the rack will need replacing eventually, I was quoted ~$800 but was told it is not urgent. On a related note, there is steering fluid leaking very very slowly which I check regularly..

-there is a slight gas smell in the car. There is very little to no smell when the windows are closed, but when the windows are open the odor comes off the engine and the engine seems to burn very rich. It doesn't bother me but my girlfriend is troubling me about it. Also, could this smell be from the leaking steering fluid cooking on the engine rather than fuel?

-AC is out; wiper fluid is out; lights behind odometer are out; right fuel tank needs flushing (not in use) - none of these are a major concern.

Many thanks for any feedback you may have!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 8,132 Likes on 4,907 Posts

I have repaired DOZENS of tappet guides 'back in the day'.
You need to tap the guide back into place and then install the 'holdown kit'.

The top edge chipping is normal for that failure. Make sure the guide is NOT cracked.

When I found cracked guides and the cam and valve were still OK I just removed a used one from a scrap head and put it in the freezer to shrink it.
I then pulled the old broken guide and tapped the replacement into place.

The holdown kit will keep the guides in place.

I have seen kits installed on the intake side but I personally have never seen a loose guide on that side.

I always recommend a kit on the exhaust side as a precaution even if the guides are not loose (YET).

bob gauff

Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

I'm with Bob 100%.

Unless that guide sleeve is actually broken, bang it back down (hammer and punch), install the kit and drive on.

I also have had numerous with bits missing from clobbering the cam lobe, but that's all that happens generally.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 793 Posts
Default Greetings from Staten Island

Welcome to the Forum. I think you will find the info and people here very helpful. What part of New Yawk City are ya' from? I'm in Staten Island. In the interest of full disclose I'm chevy conversion advocate. A lump (less upkeep more power) is a great alternative to expensive repairs should you need them. Most of the issues with your car are typical. I'd suggest you use the search because most have been covered in great detail.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick feedback! These are the exhaust side tappet guides which I'm sure you guessed. I am concerned that there is enough chipping that very little of the original lip is remaining on the 4th tappet guide. In order for the tappet hold down kit to work properly, is it necessary that the plate is in contact with a clean flat lip? Also, considering I've been driving for a bit with the loose guides, is there any reason not to drive the 20 miles to the garage? I'll be sure to update once I have more info.