Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tappet guide reseating

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Received 2,625 Likes on 1,810 Posts
Default Tappet guide reseating

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Hang on a minute ! Isn't there a red area beyond the green bit ? Needle should never get into that
Perhaps in your country there is a red area, but for vehicles sold in North America, the engine temperature gauge has only a green zone to the right of the '90' marking. Compound that with the fact that many Americans are unfamiliar with the Celsius temperature scale as they still use the old Fahrenheit system for everything and there could potentially be some overheating issues to deal with.

Most owners in the U.S. have to deal with annual or biannual emissions tests, so most XJ6s are running with the 87 C thermostat to reduce NOx output. Unfortunately, the XK engine was never designed to run that hot, thus the loose tappet guides and blown head gaskets.

NBCat

Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
At the risk of drawing the ire of other members, let me say that the English have a perverse sense of humour at times, as illustrated by the use of the 'green' area on the coolant temperature gauge! The fact that your engine runs cooler than 90 C is great; you don't want to see the gauge ever register in that green area, which means overheating!
I agree that you don't want to see your gauge moving above 95 degrees, however one interesting point to note is the following extract from the original Jaguar XJ/Sovereign "Series III Driver's Handbook" as supplied from Jaguar with the car (a.k.a. the handbook, in front of me now):

Coolant Temperature Gauge (D, Fig. 2)
Indicates the temperature of the coolant. The normal operating temperature is between 85° to 125°C (within the green band). Only drive at moderate road and engine speeds, until the normal operating temperature is reached.
I almost had a heart attack when I saw 125°C being quoted as normal! The last time my Sovereign did that I needed a new head gasket!

Don't believe me? Go and turn to page 14 of your owner's manuals, and have someone ready to call 000/911/999/etc.