XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle body removal and what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Throttle body removal and what is this?

I'm sorry if I'm asking silly questions but need guidance on my 1982 XJ6 4.2. I have been starting to replace all rubber hoses under the hood and have found that some stuff needs cleaning. The throttle body was horrible looking before I wiped it out. I really would like to remove it and give it a thorough cleaning. I do not know how to get to the bottom two bolts. I'm assuming that's the throttle position sensor that's blocking me. If I was to remove the two very small screws holding that to the throttle body, would the TPS need to be reset? I don't know how to set up a TPS without a computer and I do not have one. So guidance here please. Also cannot figure out how to remove the throttle cable from the throttle body linkage. The 2nd pic shows a part and I do not know what it is or does. Its the blue connector and its connected to the intake with two torx bolts. Someone has a bolt in the rubber hose so I'm assuming whatever part that is, is bad??? I also have been looking on ebay for a manual for this car. I see Haynes that is affordable and then I see the Jaguar ones that are over $100. Is the Haynes going to be a good enough one? I have almost a week off work and wanted to get the car running better.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

The blue part is the Cold Start Injector. I would spray throttle body cleaner instead of dismantling. I am of the opinion that Haynes manuals are a joke for any car, but especially useless for a Jaguar. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Jose; 12-24-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Thanks Jose and Merry Christmas to you as well. Why would they have the cold start injector hose plugged? I don't know if I should plumb it back in or not???

Old 12-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Do not get a haynes manual. It will not be for your car. I have no idea how they are evn still making manuals, they should be bankrupt by now.

The following users liked this post:
Jose (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

You have to give the man his dues. He started writing manuals for cars before there were any others available (at least in the UK). Although they aren't the best they were still better than the alternatives, nothing or buy the manufacturers service books.
I certainly could not have worked on as many cars as I did, since the late 70s, without referring to them.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hafrod, I have no idea why the hose was plugged, maybe the injector body was leaking? They tend to leak after some years of service. You can get the factory service and parts manual in a CD, check ebay or contact the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust at Jaguar Heritage or you can download all 13 sections here in this forum.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Why waste your money on a generic manual when the Factory produced the most specific manual that can be had?

Last edited by Jose; 12-24-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by anjum
You have to give the man his dues. He started writing manuals for cars before there were any others available (at least in the UK). Although they aren't the best they were still better than the alternatives, nothing or buy the manufacturers service books.
I certainly could not have worked on as many cars as I did, since the late 70s, without referring to them.
I can respect that.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
Hafrod, I have no idea why the hose was plugged, maybe the injector body was leaking? They tend to leak after some years of service. You can get the factory service and parts manual in a CD, check ebay or contact the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust at Jaguar Heritage or you can download all 13 sections here in this forum.
I cannot find the downloadable manual for my car here. I found the download manual link but for series 1,2,and 3 it only shows XJS. I must not be looking in the correct area.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member

ok, at the top of the page, look for a permanent thread called -XJ-6 AND XJ-12 HOW TO LINKS- open that thread and scroll down until you find Series 3 Service Manual. Also download the S-57 Electrical Supplement. Let me know if yov found them.

Last edited by Jose; 12-25-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, Not long after I got my 83, I was at the parts store. On the literature shelf, I noted Haynes for my car. Yahoo, that is what I need !
My first two Brit cars decades before mystified me. This one, even more!!!

The book is largely copied from Jaguar material. Sounds good?
Nope, the organization is what makes it confusing. The SIII material
is stubbed in to older stuff. and, the schematics, might be OK for EE's, but for DIY guys, the S57 publication is much easier to comprehend.

So, I've not looked in my Haynes for about a decade.

The parts catalog with exploded drawings is great.

But, all in all, my best resource has been J-L and this forum.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Jose (12-25-2015)
Old 12-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

Originally Posted by Hafrod
I'm assuming that's the throttle position sensor that's blocking me. If I was to remove the two very small screws holding that to the throttle body, would the TPS need to be reset? I don't know how to set up a TPS without a computer and I do not have one. So guidance here please. Also cannot figure out how to remove the throttle cable from the throttle body linkage.
Not a 'TPS' actually. It is a throttle position *switch*.....an on/off type of thing only. No computer needed to reset it because it isn't resettable.

The cable has a funny little little clip thingy at the throttle body end. Just pops off with a pocket screwdriver

Cheers
DD

Old 12-25-2015, 06:10 PM

It's a gap adjustment. I don't remember the gap but others do. It's relatively easy though, I just did it a few months ago.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Not a 'TPS' actually. It is a throttle position *switch*.....an on/off type of thing only. No computer needed to reset it because it isn't resettable.

The cable has a funny little little clip thingy at the throttle body end. Just pops off with a pocket screwdriver

Cheers
DD
So to remove the TB, does this need to be removed to access the bottom two bolts? I have so much removed right now, I'm thinking of replacing intake gasket, valve cover gaskets, and throttle body gasket. Everything is so dry and dirty, I just want to clean up everything and learn the 4.2 engine along the way. I just cannot stand a dirty engine