XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

TPS and other woeful tales, trials, and tribulations

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,989 Likes on 7,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton

I need one. Would you care to give the supplier's name?

Thanks,
Rob

https://www.britishvacuumunit.com/home-page.html

Cheers
DD

Old 05-07-2021, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,989 Likes on 7,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
This is turning out to be quite an adventure. Gotta love a weird mystery. Or cry over it.

Installed the replacement red TPS today. No change in idle speed. Nor did I expect a change. But..... the crazy oscillating RPM came back exactly as with the previous red TPS. This condition simply does not occur with the Mustang TPS.

Either the replacement TPS is faulty in the exact same manner as the previous one ......or there is something else afoot.

More digging to follow. The Mustang TPS is back in the car and I'll continue efforts to solve the high idle. When that's solved I'll return to the TPS weirdness.

Cheers
DD

Update

Despite the temptation to leave well-enough alone I reinstalled the red TPS a few days ago. All is well. No crazy RPM oscillations. From a driving perspective, at least, there's no change whatsoever compared to the Mustang TPS. The engine behaves the same in all respects. Whether or not the ECU prefers the red TPS in some subtle respect, I cannot say.

From this I conclude that the first red TPS was never defective. Now I feel a bit rotten (or stupid, at least) for returning it.

But why is it working OK now when it wasn't a few weeks ago? My first thought is that there was some sort of bad reaction between the TPS and the incorrectly gapped throttle blades. Something too far "out of synch". Or.....perhaps I flubbed the adjustment? Or some sort of fiddle-factor involving old wiring? And why was the Mustang sensor more tolerant? I may never know the answers.

Another question pops to mind, regarding checking TPS voltages:

Here and elsewhere, almost universally, we check a TPS by slowing rotating it and looking from a smooth change in voltage readings. We look for sudden voltage jumps and dead spots. We look at the idle voltage setting and look for about 4.5 volts or more at WOT. But.....is there more to it than that? Between idle and WOT should we be checking for xxx-voltage at yyy-percentage of rotation? I've never seen any specs along those lines. Presumably it's a purely linear thing? At 50% rotation we should see about 2.5 volts?

I dunno. Just pondering.

Anyhow, the Jag is still running well, day after day.

Soon I'll be moving on to steering column rattles....but not until I get some more enjoyment out of the car ! Having it down for repairs is a mild agony.

Cheers
DD